• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
You’ll have a great time. After all, skiing isn’t all about skiing.
It’s mostly about friends.

True, except on a powder day, there are NO friends on a powder day! :cool:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Deer Valley is known for quality, they would not be open if they could not provide a quality experience to their guests. They are also known for providing a consistent snow surface, there will at least be a fresh dressing every morning. The weather is forecast to be beautiful and the crowds will not have arrived yet. You'll have a great time!
Enjoy.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I like your attitude Jay, you've really committed to the whole sliding on snow thing... I find that having an intense desire to learn a new sport or to rapidly improve in a familiar one makes for interesting times. The locals might be pulling their hair out for lack of pow but you can always work on your drills and feel satisfied that you've moved another step forward.

And while you're scouting for home sites make sure the lot is big enough for a PugSki guest wing!

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Not trying to crap over expensive vacation, just making sure OP knows what he is getting into and that there are options for better skiing.
Precisely. There is no question this equation is different for a beginner than most of us. And yes I remember being a beginner all too well because I started at 23 and my natural coordination is poor.
Honestly I might have taken my first destination ski trip too early. Right after the bunny hill I booked a trip to Colorado
My attitude was different. I had ~15 days at the SoCal locals before I went to Mammoth in 1978. I didn't think I had any business leaving California to ski until I could demonstrate that I could ski 90+% of Mammoth (1980).

Started at 53 has a barrier to skiing that might have prevented me from even trying the sport. More power to him taking up the sport at at all as an adult based in Florida. Since he can't progress through the beginner level at some cheap local place like most of us did, he has to shell out for a more expensive destination. So for that objective this trip may be worthwhile.

My comments here are based upon 40 years of personal experience and 15+ years of reading/commenting upon trip scheduling in Ski Forums. Few people have infinite time and $$ for destination ski trips. The bottom line is that December is less desirable than Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr for skiing if you must commit far in advance. This is the year we see why. Hopefully this will inform future decisions by Started at 53 and many other people.

The vast majority of people scheduling these early season trips have fewer resources than Started at 53, are not beginners, and are often taking only one big destination trip per season. So after 15 years of this, I am often quite strident in my comments on this recurring topic. A key part of helping people here is responding the specific circumstances of the inquirer. So at the end of the day I hope Started at 53 will understand the context of my comments, which will be more applicable when he is a more experienced skier.

Last edited:
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Come over on a Saturday or Sunday and you'll find me with a box of Cabernet in my trunk, ;).

Box???? :eek:

LOL, I am no where near being capable of Alta/Bird yet. And IF we take a day off skiing it would likely be on a weekend day when more people are on the slopes. Hmmm, I might have to try the box stuff, not sure if it is good, but might reaffirm that the stuff I drink is ;) Kidding aside, I drink very little, matter of fact I have had a total of one glass of wine in that past 9 weeks. Maybe I need to make up for lots time :doh:

Started at 53 has a barrier to skiing that might have prevented me from even trying the sport. More power to him taking up the sport at at all as an adult based in Florida. Since he can't progress through the beginner level at some cheap local place like most of us did, he has to shell out for a more expensive destination. So for that objective this trip may be worthwhile.

My comments here are based upon 40 years of personal experience and 15+ years of reading/commenting upon trip scheduling in Ski Forums. Few people have infinite time and $$ for destination ski trips. The bottom line is that December is less desirable than Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr for skiing if you must commit far in advance. This is the year we see why. Hopefully this will inform future decisions by Started at 53 and many other people.

The vast majority of people scheduling these early season trips have fewer resources than Started at 53, are not beginners, and are often taking only one big destination trip per season. So after 15 years of this, I am often quite strident in my comments on this recurring topic. A key part of helping people here is responding the specific circumstances of the inquirer. So at the end of the day I hope Started at 53 will understand the context of my comments, which will be more applicable when he is a more experienced skier.

@TonyC

Thanks for the comments/clarifications. Yes, my “work” (just for @Monique) schedule give me more time than most working people and the benefits of lots of air miles helps a lot too. The combination of not taking “vacation time” from work and the free air travel makes it a lot less painful. We are not the typical PugSki skiers, just happy to be out there and skiing groomers. Someday a powder day might be fun, who knows.

I do read all of your snow comments and appreciate the insight. Especially when I am looking (I am ALWAYS looking) for the next or future destination.

Is it Monday yet???? I am ready to go :Teleb:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

That's the good stuff. :D
Like most good things in life. Best shared among good company.

The bird and DV are my two favorite areas around SLC.
Definitely take Bob up on his offer.

April 2014.

Skiing with the crew - mid winter conditions one day.

A1.jpg

Blue bird spring day the next. You'll never know.
A2.jpg

The good stuff. Best shared among friends after some great skiing.
A3.jpg

Can't get much better than this.
A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A toast to the host.
A6.jpg

Last edited:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

Tony, I'm sure I speak for many others when I say we greatly appreciate your well of knowledge when it comes to ski related weather.

But I felt you sometimes miss the "circumstances of the inquirer". This may one of such.

I'm several decades removed from my beginner years. So some of those memories fade far into the back of my mind and became almost inaccessible. I usually don't join in discussions related to beginners for my poor record of recommending the wrong thing due to those inaccessible memory.

But on a group trip a few years back, I was reminded by a bunch of beginners at what beginners like and dislike. It was a bit of an eye opener. I'm a big fan of spring skiing. March and April are my favorites for making trips away from home. But many beginner hate spring snow!

Lacking experience, beginners often slide uncontrollably on the refrozen coral reef in the morning, stop to rest their legs during the only favorable window of the day, re-emerge to tackle the "bump field" of slush piles in the afternoon etc.

In that light, early season man-made snow is really not a disadvantage for beginners. Also, for lesson taking and drill practice, firm man-made snow is actually more suitable than the inconsistency of power.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BC241864-C34B-4B23-BBE1-482E0F3C0A3D.jpeg 435AD0CF-D390-4C2C-B4F4-7BEF2B8D4525.jpeg
Box???? :eek:

LOL, I am no where near being capable of Alta/Bird yet. And IF we take a day off skiing it would likely be on a weekend day when more people are on the slopes. Hmmm, I might have to try the box stuff, not sure if it is good, but might reaffirm that the stuff I drink is ;) Kidding aside, I drink very little, matter of fact I have had a total of one glass of wine in that past 9 weeks. Maybe I need to make up for lots time :doh:

@TonyC

Thanks for the comments/clarifications. Yes, my “work” (just for @Monique) schedule give me more time than most working people and the benefits of lots of air miles helps a lot too. The combination of not taking “vacation time” from work and the free air travel makes it a lot less painful. We are not the typical PugSki skiers, just happy to be out there and skiing groomers. Someday a powder day might be fun, who knows.

I do read all of your snow comments and appreciate the insight. Especially when I am looking (I am ALWAYS looking) for the next or future destination.

Is it Monday yet???? I am ready to go :Teleb:

We just got back to Salt Lake from a long weekend skiing Jackson Hole. My wife was on skis for the first time last season and got 10 days or so at Alta.
Lack of snow at JH without much beginner terrain didn’t stop us from having a great time as I’m sure you will in Utah.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My mind immediately pictured a box of 12 bottles of cabernet.... perhaps I was thinking of that wrong....:cool:

I am a pretty down to earth guy, and like to think I blend in everywhere.... But I/we have a bit of wine snobbery. I am fine with a twist off cap as stated above, but the whole box thingy I am very unsure about :eek:

But I would be willing to give it a try if need be. :crossfingers:

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Play was suspended yesterday in Johannesburg due to bad weather, so I am still “working” tonight

So... It is going to be a sleepless night... Because I am in the studio right now after driving for over two hours to get back up here, 2 1/2 hours on the air, then drive back home and to the airport for a 7:15 am flight.

Not a perfect way to start a ski vacation, but “work” beckoned.

I guess I’ll just sleep on the plane

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Play was suspended yesterday in Johannesburg due to bad weather, so I am still “working” tonight

So... It is going to be a sleepless night... Because I am in the studio right now after driving for over two hours to get back up here, 2 1/2 hours on the air, then drive back home and to the airport for a 7:15 am flight.

Not a perfect way to start a ski vacation, but “work” beckoned.

I guess I’ll just sleep on the plane

Hey Jay - what sport?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Golf

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a weather system forecast to arrive Friday. As is typical of forecasts here, there's a lot of uncertainty about it's strength. But still, it's SOMETHING. Looks like it might scrub out the bad air (it's BAD!) and push the blocking ridge out to allow more storms to come in behind it.
We can only hope.
Safe travels, @Started at 53!

Sponsor

Staff online