• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They like what they like and what they like is Deer Valley.

What’s not to like???

Sure, Deer Valley could be covered in snow and the drive from SLC to Park City could be a treacherous slip sliding adventure like we had in 2015, but bottom line....

I am with @Mrs. 53 in one of our favorite places skiing in the mornings, planing our future life (house hunting) in the afternoons and having dinner with new friends (skiing in the day too) with @Lorenzzo and with any luck meeting up with @AmyPJ and her other half at some point as well.

So yeah, we are all good to go. IF the snowmaking is cranked up and we have more options that is just a bonus. I am more than happy to put a positive perspective on life!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looks great. As someone who skis where snowmaking is heavily relied upon and natural snow is the exception not the rule, a lot can be done with snowmaking. I hope you have the the most wonderful vacation. As I always say a "bad" day on snow is better than a good day at the office. May you have lots of fun sliding on snow, some great meals and overall awesome vacation.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We’ve got some serious Debby Downers here. How would you like it if someone crapped all over your vacation? Maybe try Mira-lax.

Temps are cold enough where there’s a reasonable chance they’ll get a fair amount more open around a number of lifts before Jay gets here. The couple they have open are skiing GREAT as will the ones that open. The amenities make this place really fun to hang out. I’d bet anyone they’ll have a great time. Hell I’d bet this site on it.

And BTW I was at Targhee, it’s set up nicely for sure but for what these guys want DV will make for a better trip,.

And to those who would steal another man’s stoke particularly without cause I give a giant raspberry.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
While those snow piles are impressive, they could be making them for FIS Freestyle World Cup Event in early Jan. That looks like the same area where they held event the last time I stayed there. Not trying to crap over expensive vacation, just making sure OP knows what he is getting into and that there are options for better skiing.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Started at 53 , I like you positive attitude. You'll have a good time. I guarantee it.
It's all in the attitude.

I have skied UT since 1981. Two to four trips a year. Never have a bad time. Even during the bad snow years.
As I said before, it's all in the attitude. If you look for a good time. You'll have a good time.
Don't let the naysayers get your goat.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
@TonyC

I get what you are saying, but we are going to DV for many reasons. Lest you forget, I am a beginner, so the beginner runs that @Tony mentions are more than enough for me for most of if not all of our trip. I had hoped to ski a certain Blue run called Hawkeye as my first blue run before the trip is over. There is every chance it will be open before we arrive. I have no intention of “over-terraining” myself, I have a plan for the first 4 days, specific drills to work on to learn the fundamentals of skiing. Using the FATMAP app I have identified the runs with the correct gradients and run widths for my drills to be accomplished comfortably. I only want to improve my technique/skills in order to be a more competent skier more quickly. I believe that over terraining is counter productive to improvement. That being said, the Blue run that IS open is @Mrs. 53 ’s favorite run and two years ago when we were there and the whole resort was open with amazing snow (they got 2 feet the day we arrived) she often just did laps on Birdseye/Nabob. Rumor has it Nabob is opening before we arrive. Mrs. 53 ONLY skis groomers so a powder dump means virtually nothing to her, and to be honest, she would want runs groomed from powder conditions. I know this is contrary to what most on PugSki want/prefer, but that is her preference. Me, I am too new to know the difference. I do know that the snow making conditions are perfect for the next week, so they will be making piles of snow and spreading it out accordingly :yahoo:

Here are webcam photos from this morning, you can see huge piles of snow yet to be spread out on the right near the base in the first photo. The second photo shows mid-mountain near our accommodation with more piles of snow and the guns still running. I think they are making pretty good progress.

View attachment 34624 View attachment 34625
Just to add, we are also going to devote a fair amount of time to house/lot hunting while we are out there, many afternoons will be spent looking for the location of our future home.

I genuinely hope you have a fantastic trip.

On the ‘progression’ thing I know nothing about learning or teaching skiing but I do know that ‘over extending’ oneself terrain wise is a guarantee to make you a better (perhaps not technically?) skier.

Sure you’ll have some ‘oh shit’ moments but you’ll progress.
My kids have had one half day lesson each - when they were 3 and 5 - and they can now ski most named trails on most mountains. Time on the snow trying new areas forces you to get better.

Let it snow.

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
@Started at 53 I'm happy for you. I think people here may have forgotten what it was like to be a beginner or maybe they learned as kids. My first day was like 5+ hours on the bunny slope and I had a blast. I never did go up the main lift. My next 4 days consisted of me skiing the same 5 green trails (of varying difficulty) over and over again. Between the lessons and trying to stay upright, I was never bored. I doubt you will be either, have fun :ogcool:.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you come to Snowbasin, I know a few VERY good L3 instructors there if you want a lesson. Even if you pay for a group lesson, I can see who's working that day and try to get you in with them. My boyfriend is one of them. He's not only a good instructor, he's a damn fine person, too. Also in his mid-50s. Heck, if you want him to come down to DV, they can do a reciprocity pass for him, just sayin'. :P I'll tag along and go play. We've got DV on our list of must-visit this season anyway.

The weather is cold and wintry, and the snow guns are working hard. So much great stuff to do in this area, I agree that you will have a wonderful trip either way.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you come to Snowbasin, I know a few VERY good L3 instructors there if you want a lesson. Even if you pay for a group lesson, I can see who's working that day and try to get you in with them. My boyfriend is one of them. He's not only a good instructor, he's a damn fine person, too. Also in his mid-50s. Heck, if you want him to come down to DV, they can do a reciprocity pass for him, just sayin'. :P I'll tag along and go play. We've got DV on our list of must-visit this season anyway.

The weather is cold and wintry, and the snow guns are working hard. So much great stuff to do in this area, I agree that you will have a wonderful trip either way.

You guys should come down and ski, I am sure a few red wines won’t hurt you either and then dinner. Our skiing days are 12-20 for sure, 11 and 21 are travel days but might ski a bit on the 20th if possible.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Started at 53 , I like you positive attitude. You'll have a good time. I guarantee it.
It's all in the attitude.

I have skied UT since 1981. Two to four trips a year. Never have a bad time. Even during the bad snow years.
As I said before, it's all in the attitude. If you look for a good time. You'll have a good time.
Don't let the naysayers get your goat.

@KingGrump
Thanks for the encouragement, I am positive we are going to have a great time. As @CrystalRose mentions below, it does not take much terrain to keep a newbie busy. My hope is to be able to parallel turn all green runs by the time our trip is over. Crystal, with any luck I will limit my :philgoat: to bruises

@Started at 53 I'm happy for you. I think people here may have forgotten what it was like to be a beginner or maybe they learned as kids. My first day was like 5+ hours on the bunny slope and I had a blast. I never did go up the main lift. My next 4 days consisted of me skiing the same 5 green trails (of varying difficulty) over and over again. Between the lessons and trying to stay upright, I was never bored. I doubt you will be either, have fun :ogcool:.

Truth be told, I have short, medium and long term skiing goals, so in order:
Comfortably be able to link parallel turns by day 4
Be able to ski easy blue runs for the trip to Vail in February
Be able to keep up.. ok that is not realistic...be able to keep Betsy in sight by March of 2019 on our likely trip to Italy (Paganella and Sellaronda regions)

Why Italy? Our friends are skiing Andalo~Paganella today, here is the view looking south towards Lake Garda
AF8537B4-BE4A-4924-BEA2-AE39C204C060.jpeg
Here is a photo looking at the Dolomites from the top of the mountain restaurant which happens to be a legitimate 5 Star restaurant. He is also taunting me with the red skis which I love. They are new in a 85mm waist
99C2409A-6D32-49BD-8392-8CE200D2CFE9.jpeg

I hope to be able to reach those goals.

Last edited:

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Honestly I might have taken my first destination ski trip too early. Right after the bunny hill I booked a trip to Colorado :roflmao:. I used probably less than 5% of the terrain available and even less if you count all the unnamed trails. Now I feel like I need to go back as an intermediate to really get a feel for those resorts. Still, most importantly I had fun. With you being in Florida destination skiing is all you'll get.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With you being in Florida destination skiing is all you'll get.

Luckily I earn a few frequent flier miles every year, so travel is not an issue.

And we have all the ski gear we will need for years to come so it is all gravy now.... Just have to pay for accommodation and lift tickets.

Oh... and :wine:as well I guess

:yeah:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think you're going to have a great trip. Crowds will be low, there are a bunch of things to do when you're not skiing, and hey, it will be a vacation!
Wish we could meet you there!

allgash

Booting up
Skier
We’ve got some serious Debby Downers here. How would you like it if someone crapped all over your vacation? Maybe try Mira-lax.

And to those who would steal another man’s stoke particularly without cause I give a giant raspberry.

I don't think people were intentionally trying to bring @Started at 53 down, I think there were trying to appropriately set expectations. This is really important because there are genuinely people (I'm not talking about 53) who might have booked this trip thinking that they would get to ski in the trees and bowls and what not. I've learned so much from reading @TonyC's posts on Pugski (and visiting his website), I consider him a valuable resource for this forum.

@Started at 53, you're going to have a blast! Your expectations have been set, and your use case (learning how to link parallel turns on gentle slopes) are more than satisfied with the terrain Deer Valley has open. It's no secret that it's one of my favorite mountains. Living on the East Coast, I'm used to times were just about all the snow on the mountain is manmade. It's still a lot of fun ogsmile.

Make sure to update us with pictures from your trip. Just curious, which of the other Utah resorts have you skiied at?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@Started at 53 : Looks like you may not have time this trip, but take a look at Mahre Training Camp at DV. https://www.mahretrainingcenter.com/

They take any level of skier. Great class for fundamental of skiing technique. Skiing with former olympians (Steve and Phil) is pretty awesome too. I'll never forget how fast he could go arcing turns on a cat track. They can generate speed on a pitch that seems impossible.

The Mahre Center has a 5 day sequence when you are at DV (Dec 11-15). May not work though if you are also house hunting, but you could check to see if they can accommodate you leaving early a couple of the days. I did the 3 day version 2 years ago and it was a huge boost to my skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online