• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
D4A01F44-1F9A-4789-96B4-A38FEF12AC21.jpeg
There's a weather system forecast to arrive Friday. As is typical of forecasts here, there's a lot of uncertainty about it's strength. But still, it's SOMETHING. Looks like it might scrub out the bad air (it's BAD!) and push the blocking ridge out to allow more storms to come in behind it.
We can only hope.
Safe travels, @Started at 53!
Bad air? Unfortunately this pic makes it look better than it really is. The sun will be shining in DV at least D4A01F44-1F9A-4789-96B4-A38FEF12AC21.jpeg

Marathoner

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm also flying into the area to ski later this week. In googling all the mountains during the current dearth of snow, it seems that Brighton has more trails open than any other nearby resort, including Alta and Snowbird, both of which I've skied frequently in the past. Would you guys agree that Brighton is the best choice for available ski terrain currently?

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Tony, I'm sure I speak for many others when I say we greatly appreciate your well of knowledge when it comes to ski related weather.

But I felt you sometimes miss the "circumstances of the inquirer". This may one of such.

I'm several decades removed from my beginner years. So some of those memories fade far into the back of my mind and became almost inaccessible. I usually don't join in discussions related to beginners for my poor record of recommending the wrong thing due to those inaccessible memory.

But on a group trip a few years back, I was reminded by a bunch of beginners at what beginners like and dislike. It was a bit of an eye opener. I'm a big fan of spring skiing. March and April are my favorites for making trips away from home. But many beginner hate spring snow!

Lacking experience, beginners often slide uncontrollably on the refrozen coral reef in the morning, stop to rest their legs during the only favorable window of the day, re-emerge to tackle the "bump field" of slush piles in the afternoon etc.

In that light, early season man-made snow is really not a disadvantage for beginners. Also, for lesson taking and drill practice, firm man-made snow is actually more suitable than the inconsistency of power.

This is all part of the learning process of the expert when they need to go back and understand the beginner. Case in point.

In the early fall a patroler who worked as a heavy equipment operater was sent to reshape out beginner (1st day) area to give us more space and a more consistent grade at an area I worked at in Vermont. At the end of the day he called the director and I to see if things were satisfactory. We found a perfectly smooth grade over a large area with a very mild consistent pitch which ended at the base lodge. (The director and I just looked at each other)

Next the director asked the question.........."How are they going to stop?" "Just snowplow" replied the patrolman. I responded, "They can't. They haven't learned that yet."

Then we explained the concept of a slight natural grade toward the bottom of the run upward toward the Lodge. Patrolman- "Wow, I never thought of that"

Then he regraded it, and it was Flawless.

Sometimes even the simplest things get overlooked when we try to look back.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm also flying into the area to ski later this week. In googling all the mountains during the current dearth of snow, it seems that Brighton has more trails open than any other nearby resort, including Alta and Snowbird, both of which I've skied frequently in the past. Would you guys agree that Brighton is the best choice for available ski terrain currently?
No idea, honestly. We've all been skunked. Be warned of the restless locals. Because we're starting to go a bit stir crazy!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Arrived and spent for a walk about with a beer in hand Mid-Mountain (Silver Lake). Snow looks very good, it was dry and crunchy underfoot.

The lifties told us their is more terrain opening tomorrow. Meeting up with @Lorenzzo first thing in the morning.

Going to be :bestday:
Gah, wish I could join you guys! I'll fart around on groomers all day and have fun. But, besides having a sales meeting in the morning, I also can't affort DV lift tix.
You guys have fun!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gah, wish I could join you guys! I'll fart around on groomers all day and have fun. But, besides having a sales meeting in the morning, I also can't affort DV lift tix.
You guys have fun!

It should be a fun day for sure.

Now if I could only get my wife out of bed and down to breakfast

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, I had a :bestday: on the bunny slopes.

Skied 21 runs, just did a cool loop working on not :philgoat:

I must say I freaking loved it.

Here is a synopsis
48E4AE61-B0C9-417A-B144-FA66E41FDDDE.jpeg

Just made a ton of laps working on balance and turns.

@Lorenzzo and @Mrs. 53 were actually skiing the adult runs and Besty got in over 20,000 vertical. She did a couple of laps with me after a Turkey Chili lunch.

11C2DAC2-9716-4641-92D6-C10C8A10A4D7.jpeg 03FC0861-6A1C-4026-99CF-8FBC911C07A0.jpeg 8264480E-6691-4AE8-ADD5-5BB2E8D570DF.jpeg

Did a few runs after lunch and then hit the hot tub and had a few beers.

Left boot hurt a bit on the inside ankle, having it punched.

Did I mention :bestday:

:yahoo:

Last edited:
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Apparently I was being videoed. She missed my BOMB down the bottom of the Blue run as I took off too quick for her video skills

OK, just looked at the video... YUCK!!! Just posting for fun, not looking for MA

It is good to see though as I can see I am way too upright... Wow, it does not feel like that. This run had more turns as Betsy said I skied too straight the previous run.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Apparently I was being videoed. She missed my BOMB down the bottom of the Blue run as I took off too quick for her video skills

OK, just looked at the video... YUCK!!! Just posting for fun, not looking for MA

It is good to see though as I can see I am way too upright... Wow, it does not feel like that. This run had more turns as Betsy said I skied too straight the previous run.

Actually for when you started, where you are in your progression and the fact that it was your first day of the season, that's really, really, good. She wouldn't have video'd you otherwise. Outstanding!!!!!!!!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun skiing with you guys, even though it was just one run with Jay at the beginning. That video shows great progress since I was with you. Well done.

Betsy skied great. Don't know how someone could get off a plane from FL and flow like that. She's an athlete.

Sorry to bolt early but I'm babysitting plumbers. $700 so far and they haven't found anything. Believe me, there are few things I'd rather be doing less.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fun skiing with you guys, even though it was just one run with Jay at the beginning. That video shows great progress since I was with you. Well done.

Betsy skied great. Don't know how someone could get off a plane from FL and flow like that. She's an athlete.

Sorry to bolt early but I'm babysitting plumbers. $700 so far and they haven't found anything. Believe me, there are few things I'd rather be doing less.

Yeah, my wife is a superstar!!!!

Thanks, I felt like I made decent improvement today.

See you in the morning if you can afford to ski after the plumber ;)

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
You may not feel you can claim bragging rights, but Betsy is surely happy that you've tried and now -- can I say -- fallen head over heels for her sport. Your willingness to try, to learn, and to share this new passion is great for your relationship.

I hope you have an amazing trip!

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I've had the same reaction to video - even though I think I'm flexing and moving and whatever, the video evidence shows a stiff robot on skis!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 2 is on the books

I skied the Snow Park area for a while this morning, did 10 laps. It was a progression from yesterday’s terrain. I felt very good and got a bit bored. So ventured up to Homeward Bound/Ontario with Betsy and @Lorenzzo for run in the adult terrain. Light was not great, it was cloudy and much of the run was in shaded areas. There were parts that were fine, but other areas that I felt I was a bit over terrained and I promised myself I would not do that! :( Some of it was a very different surface, rather than corduroy it was often chopped up and some fluffy snow conditions that I had never encountered before.

I am very comfortable making turns on slopes when I do not feel like I need to break all the time. Homeward Bound/Ontario was a bit narrow in the steeper areas for me and this caused a bit of over breaking/wedging which I do not want to fall into. I would say that my limited technique :( breaks down when I am uncomfortable, so I was not happy with that. Bandana is the run I should have progressed to today rather than Homeward Bound/Ontario, but it is not open yet. Maybe tomorrow.

My plan was before I arrived to make a gradual progression in terrain, but there is a bit if a gap as I described above, so I am a bit stuck. Can I get down the medium green runs, yep for sure, not a problem, but when my technique breaks down it is not the slow improvement I want to make.

There were more people on the mountain today, there was only one for run opened so it did feel a bit more crowded, but nothing that was an issue

Closest I came to :philgoat:was entering the lift line after the last run of the day and I was a bit tired. It would have been embarrassing to fall at the entrance to the lift lines. I had one moment, which Betsy caught on video, where I got my right hand behind my body but I did recover. She saw it all and mentioned that I looked nervous for when I was passing some slower skiers.

I won’t over terrain tomorrow, hoping that Bandana is open as that is where I belong at this moment.

Here is the synopsis of today, possible video to be posted later
1E9547DD-8799-4D24-83CA-D96D903650E5.jpeg

No best day ever today, that was yesterday, but tomorrow holds promise.

Today was a :yeah: day which is just a bit below a :bestday:

Last edited:
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This one was early in the day and just practicing making turns.

I turn left MUCH better than right. Turning right I just don’t seem to trust the weight shift as much and have way too much weight on my right ski. Stance is too wide on right turns :(

Sponsor

Staff online