• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
I wouldn't worry so much about being over terrained unless it's scary or reckless.

I was on a really steep green that was probably a blue at another resort and it's were I made my breakthrough to low intermediate (mostly parallel, might be a small wedge in there). Now it wasn't pretty but it definitely gave me confidence. It helps that it was my 4th consecutive day skiing.

Are you taking lessons too?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, here is the video from the bottom half of Ontario. It was choppy soft fluffy snow that I had never experienced before the first time down this run today. I had one OH SHIT moment when my right hand got behind my body and I knew immediately that I was out of balance. Corrected it quickly.

I was pretty tired at this point in the day. This run is not too steep, but a bit narrow in sections for my liking.

Tomorrow will be a better day

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wouldn't worry so much about being over terrained unless it's scary or reckless.

I was on a really steep green that was probably a blue at another resort and it's were I made my breakthrough to low intermediate (mostly parallel, might be a small wedge in there). Now it wasn't pretty but it definitely gave me confidence. It helps that it was my 4th consecutive day skiing.

Are you taking lessons too?

@Lorenzzo and Betsy are helping me out, I am applying the stuff I was given in prior lessons too.

I need to get my feet under my hip joints for a more sturdy base, too wide of a base just feels too defensive.

CrystalRose

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah I know what you mean. I remember the sensation of just wanting to stay upright and having faith in the leg I was pressuring to turn. I remember saying, "Come on right leg don't fail me!" Whatever the left leg was doing was not my concern!

Watching you I think you may be ready for this:

Of course I'm not that far ahead of you in slope time (or skill) but watching your clips I thought, "Yeah Jay, now just slide it in!" I remember when I felt steady enough I made the conscious effort to pull that other leg in and it felt right. Though I believe his instruction is more like unweight the leg and it will come in on it's own. Love his videos BTW, simple to the point instructions. Though, I believe you're trying the direct to parallel technique yea?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am not really going direct to parallel. I thought I would but bailed yesterday morning.

I do need to work on sliding that right ski in, you are correct. I have watched that guys videos before. Good stuff. I can feel my left foot get very light in some (not all) turns, but that damn right leg just does not want to lighten for some reason.

Tomorrow will be a good day

Edited to add: When I am on comfortable terrain, I feel the new inside ski lighten a lot, but the steeper for me terrain I don’t allow it to lighten enough

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would say that my ... technique breaks down when I am uncomfortable.

That's nearly a universal truth... not really a problem, just a sign to keep learning in comfortable areas. Or realize that you're pushing yourself to find out what's uncomfortable, and learning where that line is. It's still good learning!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
All of us who are progressing feel like dorks on more challenging terrain/conditions! But, so long as you don't STAY in that terrain for extended periods, it's OK! Have one or two cues that you repeat to yourself on all the slopes, and just keep those in mind on all the terrain. It's GOOD to challenge yourself, but not all day. I sure wish I could come ski with you. I'm working through lots of my own issues, many related to a serious knee injury, and the bunny slopes are where I've been hanging out mostly, with a run or two on the blues (that are NOT that much fun in this man-made, random patches of ice, snow.)

Be kind to yourself. You are doing great!!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Day 3
It was a beautiful sunny day, actually amazingly so.

I headed to the snow park lower area of DV today to just do laps on the training hill and work on stuff.

Wow, seriously a new :bestday: for sure

I got me new inside ski to lighten by bending that knee and it allowed me to slide that ski in towards the new outside ski. TONS of progress there as I got really frustrated yesterday. I tried to feel both a knee flex to lighten and tried to tip my new inside boot towards the little toe to release that ski to slide in. Of course I was trying to also keep my weight forward (a constant battle but I can feel it) and my hands forward (constant battle #2 :doh:) but I made progress on both today.

As for my skill progression, I felt today was a huge jump even though I was on easy terrain. I just felt after yesterday I needed. To build technique more than I needed to explore more of the mountain. I am in no rush, and felt like “stepping back” a bit today I made a really big jump forward.

@Lorenzzo ditched Betsy today to ski at PCMR, She has already plead her case for his return tomorrow.

Here is the before
6B66DC99-2146-4BEE-A191-FF39407722F9.jpeg

And after lunch
F3B2AA51-C294-4CB8-9D09-2CAB098E84A3.jpeg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Way to go Jay! You're looking more confident and relaxed in this video compared to yesterday's.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 3
It was a beautiful sunny day, actually amazingly so.

@Lorenzzo ditched Betsy today to ski at PCMR, She has already plead her case for his return tomorrow.

So I have multiple friends in town and I'm caught in the who has which pass conundrum. So today I had to do business with Vail Resorts. I'm hoping and expecting to be back at DV tomorrow where I can watch your progress. And where it should be less crowded. PCMR only had two real trail open today.

Are we gonna do a lunch at Steins one of the days you're here?

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Note:

I will be migrating a lot of my skiing progress reports to my “Journal” at some point, so there will be double posts. Just too lazy to do it in both threads right now.

:wine:Time

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What are you supposed to do when you get tired on the slopes?????

Day 4 was another breakthrough day! I started flexing my outside knee during the turn and it really helped get that edge in and seemed to lighten the inside ski as well. I got in a really good rhythm on my training hill and then Betsy and I went up and skied Ontario and then Success, two decent green runs. Things went well most of the time, in a bit of steeper terrain I lost my flexing rhythm and got my weight back but self diagnosed and righted things pretty quickly.

Skied 27 runs, but gotta remember 25 of those were on pretty easy terrain. I stayed most of the day on the easier terrain to continue to work on my technique, which I still think is a good plan, each day I feel I am making good progress.

DEBE0679-1A07-45E1-A1DF-D0BE34D9881B.jpeg

It was good to ski a few runs with Betsy today being @Lorenzzo deserted her for the 2nd day in a row.

4C699A36-221F-4288-9724-6F92E6FF305A.jpeg

Here is a video of my Day 4 progress

So... the answer to the question at the top of this post???? STOP SKIING as that is when you have crashes. YEP, you guessed it I :philgoat:with ski releases and all. It was a stupid mistake. I knew I was tired, but was meeting Betsy, Lorenzzo and GF for lunch, but still had about 30 minutes before the meet up so I kept skiing. It was a flat part of an easy run and I was goofing off making tight turns with most likely not enough speed and who knows WTF happened but I YARD SALED on the freaking bunny slope cuz I was being an idiot and not sticking to my technique. Might have another broken rib, but I’ll be good to go in the morning

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's see...what would I rather ski...multiple, nicely pitched, fall line cruisers with fun transitions and few skiers...or...three catwalk pitched cruisers with huge masses of skiers and snowboarders behind the Vail Curtain? What would we rather dine on...cuisine or corporate approved, overpriced sloppy joes? I could keep going. See you out there tomorrow. On the blues.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking good! Sorry about the rib! And hey, a snowy day ahead tomorrow! Don't let the flat light get to you--just do what you know how to do, and enjoy the winter wonderland :D

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
2-4 in the Cottonwoods tomorrow, supposedly. Regulator is rumored to be skiing a lot better, if Betsy wants to ski a little bit bigger terrain Snowbird is always there... I'd be willing to show her around what little we have available.

Have Lorenzzo drive her over, he knows where we are.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here is a video of Betsy on some gentle terrain when she was skiing with me. Not her normal Double Blue she does with Lorenzzo

She was not very happy with things in this video, but oh well

Sponsor

Staff online