• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Mrs. 53 and I will be at Deer Valley December 11-19, skiing 12 though midday on the 19th. We have already touched base with @Lorenzzo and @Philpug / @Tricia

We are morning first tracks skiers and call it a day typically mid-afternoon. We do like good food and some nice :wine: as well.

Just thought I would post this and maybe get together with some of you if you are in the area.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Slightly related.
We'll be in Salt Lake a few weeks later. Any news on the new lift at Alta that will replace the old Cecret lift? Will it be ready for this season?

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
The new lift replaces both Cecret and Supreme. Alta closed for the season 3rd weekend of April and did not open for the the next two weekends (despite a well above average season) so they could could start working on this project. There is no reason to believe the new lift won't be ready to go this season. Supreme normally runs first weekend of December to first weekend of April.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
The new lift replaces both Cecret and Supreme. Alta closed for the season 3rd weekend of April and did not open for the the next two weekends (despite a well above average season) so they could could start working on this project. There is no reason to believe the new lift won't be ready to go this season. Supreme normally runs first weekend of December to first weekend of April.
Love that side of the mountain. Hopefully a new high speed lift doesn't make it too popular. I've found it has less skiers that Sugarloaf/Collins areas (limited sample though).

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We fly out NEXT Monday, is it too early to start getting things organized?

I did not think so either
690184A5-EA08-46AF-BCEB-AB9777195412.jpeg

It’s not all out yet, but a good start. All gloves, ski pants and jackets, hats, socks are out there. Hmmm, more to do for sure.

And YIPPEE!!! It snowed a fair amount last night at DV. Bring it on

BTW, the thread title is misleading, we extended our stay for two more days :yahoo:

TonyC

Pass Pulled
See no panic, it's all good :)
Sorry to disillusion you, but that storm was a big 6 inches in Park City/Deer Valley. That's window dressing as all the weather guys think you won't see any more snow before the end of your trip Dec. 19. Deer Valley has 8 out of 101 trails now and Park City 8 out of 336. That's a masochistic way to spend a 10 day vacation. Again, if you can afford to stay in Deer Valley for 10 days, you can afford to spend a little extra to have a quality vacation somewhere else.

Pack some hiking gear, as you may be ready to head south for non-skiing activities after a couple of days on those WRODs. If you really want to ski, the 4.5 hour drive to Targhee is trivial in the context of a10 day vacation.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sorry to disillusion you, but that storm was a big 6 inches in Park City/Deer Valley. That's window dressing as all the weather guys think you won't see any more snow before the end of your trip Dec. 19. Deer Valley has 8 out of 101 trails now and Park City 8 out of 336. That's a masochistic way to spend a 10 day vacation. Again, if you can afford to stay in Deer Valley for 10 days, you can afford to spend a little extra to have a quality vacation somewhere else.

Pack some hiking gear, as you may be ready to head south for non-skiing activities after a couple of days on those WRODs. If you really want to ski, the 4.5 hour drive to Targhee is trivial in the context of a10 day vacation.

I wasn't disillusioned. The OP was worried and based on the pictures and what others said it seems things will be fine. No one said it was going to be an epic powder week but given how all is paid for and he's going regardless looks like the basics are there for @Started at 53 and his wife to make the best of it and have a fun week.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Gonna weigh the ski bag to see what else I can pack in there and keep it under weight. Loads of room in that thing.
Even if you stay under weight, don't stuff it full. TSA will open it for a visual inspection and you want it to be easy for them to get it all the way closed after quickly putting everything more-or-less back into it.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
When I looked yesterday, 7 of the 8 runs open at Deer Valley were beginner runs. The eight was a blue run. Hopefully they can get more open with snowmaking, but I agree with Tony C that if you really want to ski, and can get credit to use any pre-paid lodging and lifts later in season, Grand Targhee is a great alternative. Some of the drive to Jackson via Evanston is beautiful and from Targhee you could make quicker return to SLC via I-15.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@TonyC

I get what you are saying, but we are going to DV for many reasons. Lest you forget, I am a beginner, so the beginner runs that @Tony mentions are more than enough for me for most of if not all of our trip. I had hoped to ski a certain Blue run called Hawkeye as my first blue run before the trip is over. There is every chance it will be open before we arrive. I have no intention of “over-terraining” myself, I have a plan for the first 4 days, specific drills to work on to learn the fundamentals of skiing. Using the FATMAP app I have identified the runs with the correct gradients and run widths for my drills to be accomplished comfortably. I only want to improve my technique/skills in order to be a more competent skier more quickly. I believe that over terraining is counter productive to improvement. That being said, the Blue run that IS open is @Mrs. 53 ’s favorite run and two years ago when we were there and the whole resort was open with amazing snow (they got 2 feet the day we arrived) she often just did laps on Birdseye/Nabob. Rumor has it Nabob is opening before we arrive. Mrs. 53 ONLY skis groomers so a powder dump means virtually nothing to her, and to be honest, she would want runs groomed from powder conditions. I know this is contrary to what most on PugSki want/prefer, but that is her preference. Me, I am too new to know the difference. I do know that the snow making conditions are perfect for the next week, so they will be making piles of snow and spreading it out accordingly :yahoo:

Here are webcam photos from this morning, you can see huge piles of snow yet to be spread out on the right near the base in the first photo. The second photo shows mid-mountain near our accommodation with more piles of snow and the guns still running. I think they are making pretty good progress.

342D419A-030C-4E78-9760-8D4653B01DBB.png 51EBE9AA-7CEE-4DC4-8CE7-5673ED304759.png
Just to add, we are also going to devote a fair amount of time to house/lot hunting while we are out there, many afternoons will be spent looking for the location of our future home.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Dwight, it should be a lot of fun for sure. I am off to work today for 4 days, it’s a win-win, make some money and work will make the time to to pass more quickly too.

I am still on the day count, but that will change to the hour count SOON :doh:

I'm on hourish count for FL, but 59 degrees on Sat, really. Oh, well.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
@Started at 53 I do realize you are a beginner and did say "Hopefully they can get more open with snowmaking". But if Birdseye was your wife's favorite run, I don't think it would be much longer if it was the only non-beginner run available for 10 days and was being shared by all the non-beginners skiing Deer Valley. It looks like the have opened another blue run "Little Reb" which looks like an alternative ending to Birdseye and the continuation of Nabob so hopefully you are right on Nabob opening soon.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
Snowmaking expansion is gradual, particularly if it can only be done at night. You'll be lucky to get to 15% open by the end of your trip. This is not an either/or situation. 10 days is a long time and nearly anyone, beginner or otherwise, will be looking for something else to do halfway through this trip.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January