• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slalom Ski Choice for Non-Racer

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Found this:

I had a pair of the new Atomic Redster's out last week. You need to be really forward in order to get the performance out of these skis. I could not find the "sweet spot". So did this ski accentuate back technique? My technique is fine on any of my Rossi's.... Did it reward bad technique - certainly NOT! If you were in the back seat on those skis, you were on your butt!

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I have a (bought used) Fischer WC Sl and it is great for short radius turns. Not overly demanding at the limited edge angles that my skiing produces, great at the speeds I ski at. . I agree with consensus of the above that a 165 WC Sl would be very ski-able. I do share your concern about wanting more versatility if, it's part of a 2 ski quiver. For a while, I owned the original Head Supershape, 66 waist, 170, with a low turning radius, and, a Blizzard WC Sl 165. That Blizzard was more a de-tuned full Sl ski, and, I found it skied too close to the Supershape. My caveat about a Sl is that 90% of my skiing is a 1000 ft vertical hard snow mountain, Blue in Pa., and the Sl fits the type of skiing I do there. I think it takes a skier above my level to make a Sl work in all-mountain conditions, including Blue bumps.

I think a Sl can work very well in a 3 ski quiver, but, for my mostly eastern skiing, I would want something in between a Sl and a mid 90 all mountain ski. I would find it hard to give up the Phoenix and Pulse combination, and, would add a wider all mountain for days when conditions warrant. You know I ski a Pulse, and, it will remain in my quiver for the foreseeable future, but. I'm a skinny ski guy. Great all condition eastern ski.

Tweaking a quiver is fun to think about, harder to pull the trigger.

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
I think a Sl can work very well in a 3 ski quiver, but, for my mostly eastern skiing, I would want something in between a Sl and a mid 90 all mountain ski.

Ok, if you are in that category I would suggest you might like the 2015-16 Blizzard Brahma. It is 88mm at the waist and was rated the top crud ski in one magazine. I just bought a pair to add to my quiver a few weeks ago. Great edge hold, easy to turn and very stable in the mixed up heavy spring snow. It skies narrower than it is; it's replacing my Rev 85. For me it came down to either the Brahma or the Head Monster 88; either one would do the job, but then again you may want some thing a little narrower.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just picked up a pair of Salomon X-Drive 8.0. This thread had me thinking about an SL ski for groomer days with the kids. My Motive 95 isn't bad at this. But on really firm days (it was 5 F right after thanksgiving for example) I know I will have more fun on something narrower and shorter. Blister heaps lots of love on the X Drive (and they don't like skinny skis).

Anyway, I ski at N* and my kids are starting to like short jaunts through the trees on softer snow days, so I went for the Salomons (that and a killer deal). But yes, they are at least two levels removed from true SL skis.

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Ok, if you are in that category I would suggest you might like the 2015-16 Blizzard Brahma. It is 88mm at the waist and was rated the top crud ski in one magazine. I just bought a pair to add to my quiver a few weeks ago. Great edge hold, easy to turn and very stable in the mixed up heavy spring snow. It skies narrower than it is; it's replacing my Rev 85. For me it came down to either the Brahma or the Head Monster 88; either one would do the job, but then again you may want some thing a little narrower.

Paul Just to clarify the crux of my post, for me, I would not want a quiver limited to a Sl ski and a 95 ish ski in my eastern home Pa. mountain. I and Matt both own a 78 Hart Pulse and that is what I will continue to use to fill the gap between my Sl & my 95ish ski in a 3 ski quiver. I did own both the Rev 85 and Kastle 88, but, the Pulse meets my needs better. @MattD wants to build a 2 ski quiver, my concern is a Sl has limited versitiltiy.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I own 5 of the top rated skis just below the cheater skis which I would call near race skis in some cases. I finally got on the head worldcup Rebel SL and also the World Cup Rebels ispeed and immediately fell in love with both. I ski Pennsylvania New York and Ohio and I knew that SL would be perfect in a 170 for any turn shape that I wanted. Looking for easy non aggressive SL skis I came up with the head Rebel SL and also the Rossignol I-9 cheaters. The head was so easy and so much fun to ski that I decided to buy it in a 170. The tune on the SL was .5/4 and the tune on the ispeed rebel was .5/3. My first time skiing that set up and it was great. I have never skied a fis so I don't know what I'm missing there. 175 lbs, very aggressive 68 year old skier.

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
The head was so easy and so much fun to ski that I decided to buy it in a 170.

I agree entirely about the Head iSL. It is a fantastic ski (as I wrote previously in this thread). It seems to turn on its own, carves like a knife on hard pack, and is great on ice. If you push it hard and load up the tails, it has a lot of pop, and the tips bend relatively easily (or at least more easily than I thought they would before I tried them), so it is easy to initiate turns, even if you don't have much speed. Skied them in spring conditions at Mont Sainte-Anne and Le Massif a couple of weeks ago and they handled the mashed potatoes much better than I thought they would as long as I paid attention. Have also had them out after a few inches of snow, and they can deal with that quite nicely as well (just more work than a wider ski). A great ski for out east, especially for narrow runs (they are pretty nimble, making it easy to ski avoid other skiers), and more versatile than I would have thought. When I demoed a pair back in January, I did so only because the skis I wanted to try were not available (can't remember what they were), and I am very glad that I did. I had not contemplated an SL cheater ski (was thinking of something more like a Supershape or a Progressor), but I was won over.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I agree entirely about the Head iSL. It is a fantastic ski (as I wrote previously in this thread). It seems to turn on its own, carves like a knife on hard pack, and is great on ice. If you push it hard and load up the tails, it has a lot of pop, and the tips bend relatively easily (or at least more easily than I thought they would before I tried them), so it is easy to initiate turns, even if you don't have much speed. Skied them in spring conditions at Mont Sainte-Anne and Le Massif a couple of weeks ago and they handled the mashed potatoes much better than I thought they would as long as I paid attention. Have also had them out after a few inches of snow, and they can deal with that quite nicely as well (just more work than a wider ski). A great ski for out east, especially for narrow runs (they are pretty nimble, making it easy to ski avoid other skiers), and more versatile than I would have thought. When I demoed a pair back in January, I did so only because the skis I wanted to try were not available (can't remember what they were), and I am very glad that I did. I had not contemplated an SL cheater ski (was thinking of something more like a Supershape or a Progressor), but I was won over.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
After skiing the heads I have a pair of almost brand-new progressor 900 I'll be happy to sell you at a very good price. I also tried the Titan and although it didn't have the energy that I was looking for probably a good ski for others.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
After skiing the heads I have a pair of almost brand-new progressor 900 I'll be happy to sell you at a very good price. I also tried the Titan and although it didn't have the energy that I was looking for probably a good ski for others.

Fischer 900's are not Sl skis, 77 waist I think. They are similar to the OP's Hart Pulse in dimensions, more a recreational GS type turn ski.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Absolutely

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I think a Sl can work very well in a 3 ski quiver, but, for my mostly eastern skiing, I would want something in between a Sl and a mid 90 all mountain ski. I would find it hard to give up the Phoenix and Pulse combination, and, would add a wider all mountain for days when conditions warrant. You know I ski a Pulse, and, it will remain in my quiver for the foreseeable future, but. I'm a skinny ski guy. Great all condition eastern ski.

Tweaking a quiver is fun to think about, harder to pull the trigger.
Too true!! It's a good things there are many months before I NEED to have it figured out!

Paul Just to clarify the crux of my post, for me, I would not want a quiver limited to a Sl ski and a 95 ish ski in my eastern home Pa. mountain. I and Matt both own a 78 Hart Pulse and that is what I will continue to use to fill the gap between my Sl & my 95ish ski in a 3 ski quiver. I did own both the Rev 85 and Kastle 88, but, the Pulse meets my needs better. @MattD wants to build a 2 ski quiver, my concern is a Sl has limited versitiltiy.
This is the crux of the problem for me when I consider an SL ski ... a non-SL inclusive 2 ski quiver, vs. an SL inclusive 3-ski quiver. I don't get enough days to justifuy a 3-ski quiver, but that doesn't stop me from considering it anyway!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got the i.SL (non FIS) in 165. It's a hoot and a half, but too narrow for my 195 pounds and our generally softer snow.

I'll be moving to something similar, but with a mid-70s waist so I don't have to get off them at lunch, when things get a bit mushy.

For sale, $500, skied 6 times, with a pro tune in Sun Valley after day 4 (just because).

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I've got the i.SL (non FIS) in 165. It's a hoot and a half, but too narrow for my 195 pounds and our generally softer snow.

I'll be moving to something similar, but with a mid-70s waist so I don't have to get off them at lunch, when things get a bit mushy.

For sale, $500, skied 6 times, with a pro tune in Sun Valley after day 4 (just because).

OK Matt
There is your ski at a crazy price. Expect to pay about 980 at a early-season discount when they come out next year.

Tony Warren

Me on the left, The Padre on the right
Skier
Go with Nordica Spitfire Pro with the SL tip and the GS body and all the bells and whistles. I ski this ski at over 70 mph on the Men's Downhill at Lake Louise or I can make 60 nice turns in about 250 vertical. The ski has no limits on piste. I love skiing ice, blue ice and these things are tenacious. They are more forgiving than a race ski but give up very little in terms of performance.

I am a bit shorter and heavier than you are, and I ski the 168 but have also skied the 176 and had a great time on them.

They require some power to initiate but after that, just stand in the centre and ride the radius.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Found your post just now...

My stats, for reference: 1.82 m, 88 kg, level 7 skier.

A year ago, I went to the Hintertux Galcier, Austria, and demoed a bunch of slalom skis. I ranked them on a few distinctive properties. If ranked first in a category, the ski get 7 points, etc. I thinks it's all pretty clear. Here's the full list.

2aadiyu.jpg

I found the Fischer most versatile and I really liked how damp it is. I just couldn't properly bend the Nordica, that's why it's at the bottom.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Found this:

I had a pair of the new Atomic Redster's out last week. You need to be really forward in order to get the performance out of these skis. I could not find the "sweet spot". So did this ski accentuate back technique? My technique is fine on any of my Rossi's.... Did it reward bad technique - certainly NOT! If you were in the back seat on those skis, you were on your butt!

Atomic race bindings have a lever at the front that allows you to adjust the boot position on the fly. You may have been too far back on those demos.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you like skis made by Blossom, why not get a pair of Blossom SL skis? The "FOLLOW ME PLUS" is the FIS version, and the "FLERE" is the civilian version. You can get them flat at ~$650.

Another option is the VIST "SL RACE", which might be the best SL skis.

I have demo'd a bunch of different frontside skis over the last several years. The ones I kept coming back to for "feel" were the ones built by Blossom (Hart Phoenix and Hart Pulse). For me, they seemed to combine the best compromise package of performance, turn shape versatility, slow/fast speed skiing comfort, edge hold, carving prowess, but willingness to release/drift/skid, ease of use in bumps, etc. The "feel" side of these has been about progressive and even flex for me ... no "on/off" feel to the flex/turn engagement. They were also more "fun" in feel for me than some of the more damp options, without being under-damped, if that makes sense.

Almost all of the frontside skis I have owned or demo'd in the last 5 years have been in the 70's - low 80's in width ... the Phoenix was the exception at 66mm, but it's been 3-4 years since I was last on that. The slalom option would be a big change-up, but probably a blast when groomers are on the menu.

I guess the flip-side of the question would be if there is a really good compromise ski that retains many of the fun characteristics of the slalom option, while gaining some conditions versatility for bumps, ungroomed, etc. (not post-storm conditions, as I will have a mid-90's width option for that).

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are there any clubs or academys in your area? Look at their websites, sometimes there are gear buy/sale sections. I'm in Europe but imagine you'd be able to pick up second hand race skis dirt cheap over there as well, especially from Academy kids. I bought a set of Salomon 165 cm LAB FIS SL w the 16 DIN race binding that had been one kids race pair season 15/16 for the eqiv. of US$300. That is a ~US$ 1500 package when new. I have skied a few other brands as well (Sollie is like a Atomic SL ski) and they are all a little different but all great, so if you go the 2:nd hand route just see what is available to you and get the best (as in condition) pair you can find.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
If you like skis made by Blossom, why not get a pair of Blossom SL skis? The "FOLLOW ME PLUS" is the FIS version, and the "FLERE" is the civilian version. You can get them flat at ~$650.

Another option is the VIST "SL RACE", which might be the best SL skis.

I own the Flere, a fabulous ski. Blossom isn't currently available stateside, but I believe you can get them in Canada. I've heard that Vist skis are also made by Blossom, but I don't know if the SL Race is.

Sponsor

Staff online