• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slalom Ski Choice for Non-Racer

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I have been reading multiple threads/comments where folks are extolling the virtues of slalom skis for groomer fun. Since I ski almost entirely in the East and there are more groomer days than I would choose, it seems like it might make sense to give them a try.

The 2 skis I am looking at are the Fischer RC4 World Cup SC and the Head Worldcup Rebels i.SL. Looking for input on the pros/cons of each, with particular emphasis on which has at least a bit more versatility in terms of slow speed turn ease, brush/drift turns, and forgiveness.

My other question is appropriate length for this kind of ski. At 5'10", 168lbs., is 165cm the right length, or something longer?

Thanks!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I wish I could comment between the two skis. I've skied Fischer RC4 SLs and they are great, but not the SC.

Don't go any longer than 165. The next size down might be better. I'm 5' 11", active masters racer and I've enjoyed both 161s and 165s.

SL skis on groomers are a pretty amazing thing. You can crank out GS size turns just on the radius or tighten them up with more edge angle and pressure. Remarkably, I even enjoyed them off piste one day with manky spring snow that was semi-firm and had the day before's turns still showing. Not that I recommend that, but what started as a quick groomer day evolved into a day long ski.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
To add to the OP's questions. Why choose a ski like that vs something like a Salomon X drive 8.0 for example?

I can imagine that some feedback will be that the x drive would be more versatile off piste and in bumps. But on-piste, what is the experience a true SL ski will give you over a ski like the x drive, which I wouldn't really call all-mountain but also clearly not a "cheater sl" ski either.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you are considering an SL ski don't be scared of a FIS SL ski, more predictable and more fun factor than a cheater SL. In terms of ease of skiing Rossi/Dynastar would likely be my first recommendation.

If you are looking for the best advise ask@ScotsSkier which of the current skis are best.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A SL race ski is just that. It is designed for high performance without compromise.

I'm not personally familiar with the Salomon referred to, but with its waist at 80 mm (I looked this up) it is a far cry from a 65 mm waisted SL ski. Edge to edge will be quicker (according to some), but more importantly your leverage on the ski/snow interface will be much greater with the SL ski and it will be able to grip better with less effort. Essentially, the narrower the ski the easier it is to maintain an edge angle compared to a wider ski.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Why don't you tell us what you have, like, do etc? I'd recommend the FIS also, but it is a) more expensive ... trying to come up with a part b) but there's not a whole lot of drawback actually. The 170cm I rebel sl from Head is a very nice ski from what I hear, and with current sales about the same as a half price FIS slalom ski but comes with bindings. FIS slaloms are not easy to get cheaply new. Now is the time, but even that is toughish. Half off you're talking 600. On epic I hooked someone up with a shop that has the Volkl FIS SL for somewhere around $575? (Edit: that's not the Fis. See post below.) That's a very nice somewhat softer FIS Sl ski.
Here' ya go. They also have that Fischer you're talking about.
http://suburbanskiandbike.com/Volkl-RT-SW-SL-UVO-2016-w-Bind-155cm-115061.155/
(ask for Mike. I spent an hour in there going through the whole inventory)

Used they come and go quickly. @ScotsSkier 's used ones are usually pre sold. That tells you something.

The whole "they're only for little hills or indoor slopes" is hilarious. Really. But maybe we're just nut jobs skiing them on mountains. So is Bob Peters who skis them at Jackson Hole. Among other skis.

Last edited:
TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Why don't you tell us what you have, like, do etc? I'd recommend the FIS also, but it is a) more expensive ... trying to come up with a part b) but there's not a whole lot of drawback actually.

I have demo'd a bunch of different frontside skis over the last several years. The ones I kept coming back to for "feel" were the ones built by Blossom (Hart Phoenix and Hart Pulse). For me, they seemed to combine the best compromise package of performance, turn shape versatility, slow/fast speed skiing comfort, edge hold, carving prowess, but willingness to release/drift/skid, ease of use in bumps, etc. The "feel" side of these has been about progressive and even flex for me ... no "on/off" feel to the flex/turn engagement. They were also more "fun" in feel for me than some of the more damp options, without being under-damped, if that makes sense.

Almost all of the frontside skis I have owned or demo'd in the last 5 years have been in the 70's - low 80's in width ... the Phoenix was the exception at 66mm, but it's been 3-4 years since I was last on that. The slalom option would be a big change-up, but probably a blast when groomers are on the menu.

I guess the flip-side of the question would be if there is a really good compromise ski that retains many of the fun characteristics of the slalom option, while gaining some conditions versatility for bumps, ungroomed, etc. (not post-storm conditions, as I will have a mid-90's width option for that).

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a pair of the iSLs, 170cm, although I would advise a 165 (I picked up a pair of demos for almost nothing). A great ski! Tons of fun, easy to bend and carve, lots of pop in the tails (the KERS thing might actually work). They are excellent in icy conditions, ski brilliantly on groomed terrain (obviously), but can be skied in a couple of inches of fresh snow and spring crud, just a bit more work. The one possible drawback is that they are a workout for your quads, especially if you want to carve lots of short turns. At the same time, if you want to ski slowly on them (I ski them with my kids), they are extremely compliant (again, all of the piezo electric stuff and KERS chip seem to do something after all). I have not skied the SL version of the RC4s recently. I bought a pair 30 years ago (?) that I used to bring out of the closet every once in a while when living in Reno and skiing Mt. Rose 8 years back. In fact, they are sitting in my basement. PM me if you are interested :)

Last edited:

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Also, if you want to see how the i.SL skis, here is a nice video review (in Italian):

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish I could comment between the two skis. I've skied Fischer RC4 SLs and they are great, but not the SC.

Don't go any longer than 165. The next size down might be better. I'm 5' 11", active masters racer and I've enjoyed both 161s and 165s.

SL skis on groomers are a pretty amazing thing. You can crank out GS size turns just on the radius or tighten them up with more edge angle and pressure. Remarkably, I even enjoyed them off piste one day with manky spring snow that was semi-firm and had the day before's turns still showing. Not that I recommend that, but what started as a quick groomer day evolved into a day long ski.

If you are considering an SL ski don't be scared of a FIS SL ski, more predictable and more fun factor than a cheater SL. In terms of ease of skiing Rossi/Dynastar would likely be my first recommendation.

If you are looking for the best advise ask@ScotsSkier which of the current skis are best.

A SL race ski is just that. It is designed for high performance without compromise.

I'm not personally familiar with the Salomon referred to, but with its waist at 80 mm (I looked this up) it is a far cry from a 65 mm waisted SL ski. Edge to edge will be quicker (according to some), but more importantly your leverage on the ski/snow interface will be much greater with the SL ski and it will be able to grip better with less effort. Essentially, the narrower the ski the easier it is to maintain an edge angle compared to a wider ski.

Why don't you tell us what you have, like, do etc? I'd recommend the FIS also, but it is a) more expensive ... trying to come up with a part b) but there's not a whole lot of drawback actually. The 170cm I rebel sl from Head is a very nice ski from what I hear, and with current sales about the same as a half price FIS slalom ski but comes with bindings. FIS slaloms are not easy to get cheaply new. Now is the time, but even that is toughish. Half off you're talking 600. On epic I hooked someone up with a shop that has the Volkl FIS SL for somewhere around $575? That's a very nice somewhat softer FIS Sl ski.
Here' ya go. They also have that Fischer you're talking about.
http://suburbanskiandbike.com/Volkl-RT-SW-SL-UVO-2016-w-Bind-155cm-115061.155/
(ask for Mike. I spent an hour in there going through the whole inventory)

Used they come and go quickly. @ScotsSkier 's used ones are usually pre sold. That tells you something.

The whole "they're only for little hills or indoor slopes" is hilarious. Really. But maybe we're just nut jobs skiing them on mountains. So is Bob Peters who skis them at Jackson Hole. Among other skis.[/QUOTE]

Not too much I can add to the above, particularly the bolded! My work here is done!!.

As above, for free skiing the 165 is the best option for you. Go for the FIS version if at all possible, slightly bigger radius (~13) than the non FIS slaloms (usually 11-12) and a whole lot better built ski. Getting a good used pair is difficult, I usually have a waiting list for them. If you can find a used race pair, dont worry too much about a thinner edge, I have yet to see a pic run out of edge before they are just trashed. I have had a few pairs that have come off the WC circuit and still got a couple of years race use out of them.

WRT brand, lots of good options. Head, Atomic, Rossi/Dnastar, Blizz/Nordica, Volkl are all top class skis. Some differences but I would happily ski on any of them. Probably I would point you at Rossi/dynastar, Volkl or Blizz/nordi for your purpose.

and no, they will not eat you up and spit you out!

James

Out There
Instructor
Just go for the FIS. You've skied Blossoms. Might as well have another data point. An FIS slalom will not have the full even flex of the Phoenix. The sl has a stiffer tail. Which makes for some more excitement and fun.

I made a mistake up above. The Fis Volkl Sl with Marker plate is not the one I linked. It's $715. All the lettering on these skis drives me nuts. Rossi puts R21 on all sorts of stuff. Everybody puts WC on things that are not world cup compliant.
http://suburbanskiandbike.com/Volkl-RT-SW-SLR-WC-w-PLATE-165cm-115862.165/
The flex of that was quite nice in the store.

The Blossom Slalom of a few years ago sounds perfect actually according to Exoticskis.com. But what they are now and how you could get them is another matter.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are some great near race skis, thats just what they are, 8.5-9/10 race skis. You have the hard snow skis, that these are a compromise between a race ski and what you have, so go for the race ski. There are some more compliant options like the Head & Fischer and you also don't have to go with a full .5/3 tune, go 1/3 or even 1/2 if you want to work into it.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
There are some great near race skis, thats just what they are, 8.5-9/10 race skis. You have the hard snow skis, that these are a compromise between a race ski and what you have, so go for the race ski..
Sorry ... should have mentioned that I would be selling my current skis, so starting from scratch!

VAski

Booting up
Skier
Sorry ... should have mentioned that I would be selling my current skis, so starting from scratch!

I'll be interested to see what you decide. I'm in a similar situation. I want to add an SL type ski and possibly a GS as well. I'm keeping my all mountain skis.

Here's something to ponder for the near race type ski. Never been on it. I stumbled upon it in my never-ending search for skis...