• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are the replacement sole options for a solid lug boot?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Update on my stupid situation: I need toe lifts, particularly on the right-I-broke-my-leg-tore-my-LCL side. I tested out some shims under that toe plate yesterday, about 3mm worth, and it helped me a LOT. So, I'm thinking putting a thicker set of sole plates on is probably not going to work any more. Maybe a thicker TOE piece, but I'd need a more traditional heel piece.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Seems I might be beholden to Cat Tracks after all. There's worse things, for sure. But, dammit!
On Tricia’s boots I had to raise the bridge on one boot and lower the water on the other do me a favor please post a picture of the front view of your boots together thanks

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this sufficient? Heading to the shop tonight to officially measure the thickness and test the bindings with them. I skied with it lifted again today, and I think one thing that it does is help relieve some pain I've had in that knee that I've ignored.
25395236_10215221473116480_327473162_n.jpg

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this sufficient? Heading to the shop tonight to officially measure the thickness and test the bindings with them. I skied with it lifted again today, and I think one thing that it does is help relieve some pain I've had in that knee that I've ignored.
25395236_10215221473116480_327473162_n.jpg

OK, measured the toe shim thickness with calipers and they are right at 2mm. Went through the box of heel and toe plates (standard, not grippy) and because my current toe and heel plates are 5mm, that leaves us in a conundrum: if I want 2 mm more, then that means a toe piece that is 7mm tall. Apparently, there are 6mm and 8mm. These toe and heel pieces are going to need replacing anyway, as they wear down quickly (but, they are cheap!) So, I'd love to find a grippier, more durable set that is either 7 or 8mm thick.

For now, I'm leaving it set up as is. Binding release tested fine with the "temporary" lift in there. Now, I just need to add some duct tape somewhere to complete the picture.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Those look really slick. Suggest you use the Head "Vibram" soles; I have them on Raptors, good traction in the snow and on pavement.

Hmmmm. Sounds interesting. Has anyone posted pictures of them?

Last edited:
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@
@markojp can get you the Head lifters, I will say they are not cheap. Tecnica and Nordica lifters are another option but need to have the nubs sanded off which is no big deal.
@Philpug, we have our hands on the Tecnica lifters, but another question is this: they have 4 screw holes. Shop boot guru seems to think that this is inadequate since there will be no grooved interface. Better half seems to think he can put a few extra screws in himself. (Oh my.)

What have you done? Pictures?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmmm. Sounds interesting. Has anyone posted pictures of them?

From Blister Gear. I will say, it looks like they only have 6 screws. Compared to the 4 on the Tecnicas, I should be good to go if we add 2 more screws.
HEAD-Raptor-soles-640x509.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@

@Philpug, we have our hands on the Tecnica lifters, but another question is this: they have 4 screw holes. Shop boot guru seems to think that this is inadequate since there will be no grooved interface. Better half seems to think he can put a few extra screws in himself. (Oh my.)

What have you done? Pictures?
Yes, More screws woudl be better..I have not had an issue yet.

IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
From Blister Gear. I will say, it looks like they only have 6 screws. Compared to the 4 on the Tecnicas, I should be good to go if we add 2 more screws.
HEAD-Raptor-soles-640x509.jpg
Fwiw, I was being a smart arse... I posted pictures of mine on the Head Raptor 140 long term review thread. TahoeCharlie even 'liked' my post. ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January