• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are the replacement sole options for a solid lug boot?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The solid lifters are not Techica ones but from boot fitting suppliers like SVST. Personally I am willing to give up the N-N-Nth degre of a solid sole for something easier and safer to walk in. But I will admit I am not always on a race ski. I would be interested in you put a set of these soles on one boot and the solid smooth lifters on the other if you would notice the difference in a race course.

Yes, would actually be possible as I have a second identical pair with the solid lifter set up that has hardly been worn. The other thing I would be interested in is whether anyone has actually done any back to back objective/ measured testing on the comparative release values with the different lifters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, would actually be possible as I have a second identical pair with the solid lifter set up that has hardly been worn. The other thing I would be interested in is whether anyone has actually done any back to back objective/ measured testing on the comparative release values with the different lifters
Releast values should be identical, both have similar boot/binding contact areas.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You keep asserting this, but Start House refuses to sell em to me & stopped returning my calls, Peak Performance would not investigate getting them & Northern could not obtain them. Clearly there is a disconnect with Head on this as I just got Race Service clamps easier than lil plastic lifters.

Again, let me know if you want some. Happy to send a set.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm REALLY tired of carrying around my Cat Tracks. I have to hide them near a fence at the resort, and last year, on closing day, some *%#@*!!! stole them.

I leave mine hanging on the cable lock left on the railing at the base where I lock my skis also. Get the lock and put on the Yak Track Ski Trax on my way back to the car at the end of the day.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I leave mine hanging on the cable lock left on the railing at the base where I lock my skis also. Get the lock and put on the Yak Track Ski Trax on my way back to the car at the end of the day.
I don't want to deal with ANY of that. Typically, locks aren't needed here.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I don't want to deal with ANY of that. Typically, locks aren't needed here.

I've had Cat Tracks and now have have Yak Track Ski Trax. I just fold them over and tuck them up under the gaiters in my pants so that they rest on top of the elastic gaiter against the back of my boots. I never notice them when I'm skiing, they're easy to access, and I'm yet to lose one.

I'd prefer boot sole plates with better traction and durability, but I otherwise like my boots, so I'll put up with this for now. Assuming I don't need to compromise on fit and performance, I'll definitely be looking for soles that are more walkable and less of a pain in the butt next time around.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've had Cat Tracks and now have have Yak Track Ski Trax. I just fold them over and tuck them up under the gaiters in my pants so that they rest on top of the elastic gaiter against the back of my boots. I never notice them when I'm skiing, they're easy to access, and I'm yet to lose one.

I'd prefer boot sole plates with better traction and durability, but I otherwise like my boots, so I'll put up with this for now. Assuming I don't need to compromise on fit and performance, I'll definitely be looking for soles that are more walkable and less of a pain in the butt next time around.

Ya, I'll be looking for ski boots with rockered soles and tread before I ever consider giving up the Yak Trax. Now, when there is ample storage space in the lodge and no shuttle bus BFE parking booting up at the lodge is always the better option.. again with a good parking spot and a decent place to stash the boot bag.

Hopefully soon all ski boots will be way more walk friendly and not dangerous walking on icy lots and steps..

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I already have my boot heater battery packed that takes up space in the lower leg. I have tried shoving the Cat Tracks in there, too, and it drives me nuts AND they don't often stay put.
Yes, I'm Cinderalla. No, I'm not ashamed of that.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
The Nordica GripWalks look more fitting, but with only 4 bolts I’m a lil skeptical. Someone will solve this I predict & make some $.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The Nordica GripWalks look more fitting, but with only 4 bolts I’m a lil skeptical. Someone will solve this I predict & make some $.

They work. The problem is solved. The Head vibrams are a PM away. The latter were standard on the Head Raptor overdrive a few seasons back.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Looks like I'll put the Tecnica you linked on my Head B5 Raptor boots. Will report back. I think they actually had a Lange plate on them but still too stink-in' slippery.
I could use your Lange lifters if you’re done with them.
I like slippery :eek:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The solid lifters are not Techica ones but from boot fitting suppliers like SVST. Personally I am willing to give up the N-N-Nth degre of a solid sole for something easier and safer to walk in. But I will admit I am not always on a race ski. I would be interested in you put a set of these soles on one boot and the solid smooth lifters on the other if you would notice the difference in a race course

Hmm, just checked. The lifters are actually marked tecnica 6mm but nothing in the tecnica or Nordica listings looks similar Looks like it is the SVST versions I will need to source

IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I could use your Lange lifters if you’re done with them.
I like slippery :eek:
The heels are a tad worn. Besides, it needs to snow so you actually come BACK! (This sucks, BTW.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmm, just checked. The lifters are actually marked tecnica 6mm but nothing in the tecnica or Nordica listings looks similar Looks like it is the SVST versions I will need to source

View attachment 35087 View attachment 35088 View attachment 35089
Yeah, Tecnica (and Nordica) did offer some of those solid lifters that are only slightly less slippery than the MPS 3, 5 or 6mm lifters. What is interesting is the amount if screws that are used verses the 4 (front) and 5 (rear) that the walking soles do. I would be interested if you would notice any loss skiing performance between the two.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Update on my stupid situation: I need toe lifts, particularly on the right-I-broke-my-leg-tore-my-LCL side. I tested out some shims under that toe plate yesterday, about 3mm worth, and it helped me a LOT. So, I'm thinking putting a thicker set of sole plates on is probably not going to work any more. Maybe a thicker TOE piece, but I'd need a more traditional heel piece.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Seems I might be beholden to Cat Tracks after all. There's worse things, for sure. But, dammit!

Sponsor