• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What are the replacement sole options for a solid lug boot?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On to Stage 3, making the boot GripWalk-compatible. First thing to remember is that you do not rout the boot with the GripWalk soles, you need to rout using a comparable sole that is alpine (DIN) in height. No, this is not experience talking; yes, I routed with the alpine lug.

Soles before
View attachment 33579

Soles after (w/GripWalk)
View attachment 33580
View attachment 33581

Note the thickness difference under the ball of the foot. I will be out and about today with these and will report back with what I feel in the difference. Also, make sure what you have a binding that is GripWalk-compatible before you make this modification.

OK, what brand are the first picture, which ARE traditional binding compatible, correct? (Sorry, we're finally ready to actually GET some for my boots, but my better half's shop doesn't carry Head, so he doesn't have any connections with any reps.)
He DOES have connections with Salomon/Atomic and Rossignol. Stopped by their distribution centers today (I love Ogden!) but no bueno.

View attachment 34177

The kiddo did the heavy lifting for the shoot. ogsmile
@markojp, as I stated above, "I" have connections, but not to any Head reps. Where can we mere mortal get some of those. I could give a rat's patooty about what color they are. I just want something that will give some extra traction.

Yes they are. But because you are adding about 5mm to the bottom of the lug, the toe lugs will need to be routed to remove the same amount from the top. Head offers these as option, they originally were the soles for the Head Raptor Overkill but skiers saw that they would be a good option for solid lugged boots. There are others out there too, the Nordica & Tecnica soles also work.
Which Nordica or Tecnica? Those are both options for me.

The Head vibrams have been around awhile. Head still has plenty. Your local dealer shouldn't have any issues getting some. They'll work on any solid block boot soles.
Any contacts you can give me?

I'm REALLY tired of carrying around my Cat Tracks. I have to hide them near a fence at the resort, and last year, on closing day, some *%#@*!!! stole them.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
OK, what brand are the first picture, which ARE traditional binding compatible, correct? (Sorry, we're finally ready to actually GET some for my boots, but my better half's shop doesn't carry Head, so he doesn't have any connections with any reps.)
He DOES have connections with Salomon/Atomic and Rossignol. Stopped by their distribution centers today (I love Ogden!) but no bueno.

@markojp, as I stated above, "I" have connections, but not to any Head reps. Where can we mere mortal get some of those. I could give a rat's patooty about what color they are. I just want something that will give some extra traction.

Which Nordica or Tecnica? Those are both options for me.

Any contacts you can give me?

I'm REALLY tired of carrying around my Cat Tracks. I have to hide them near a fence at the resort, and last year, on closing day, some *%#@*!!! stole them.

Amy, PM me or Phil. I can do a phone order if you need as can Phil. What's your nearest Head dealer?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amy, PM me or Phil. I can do a phone order if you need as can Phil. What's your nearest Head dealer?
Probably Park City, I don't know. The man friend might know who to call. I'll ask him. He can definitely get a Tecnica plate for them, but isn't sure which ones would work. I'm trying to do some extra leg work for him since he's a bit busier than I am most days ;)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've also used both Head and Lange 3mm flat lifters. You don't need skis with those things. ogsmile

QFT. I had these put on when I got the boots purely for wear reasons, some there are no replaceable lugs on the boot. Slick ... Not in the good way. I SO wish I had the Vibram ones, but, as Finch says, only you guys seem to know they exist.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Put a different way, I have noticed, over the years, that bike and ski shops are not big on special orders unless there is a boatload of money to be made. They just aren't.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
QFT. I had these put on when I got the boots purely for wear reasons, some there are no replaceable lugs on the boot. Slick ... Not in the good way. I SO wish I had the Vibram ones, but, as Finch says, only you guys seem to know they exist.

Put in context, no one would sell em to me last year & when I ran into Eric Lipton this week, even he could not source a pair.....

I really think @Philpug should put out a line of Vibrams & GripWalk soles.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Well, I know a shop that will install the Head lifters on any solid sole boot.....I think at $135.
Any Head dealer can get them. For a while, I think they were in short supply, when they were considered to be a replacement part for a specific boot. Once boot guys starting using them a lot more, I think Head made more.

About 10-15 years ago, I had a hard rubber Vibram sole pair of 5mm lifters. Metal frame. Very sturdy. Had them on Lange plugs and Dobies. I have neither seen nor heard of a pair in close to 10 years.

I'm in Lange RX's these days. Those soles and lugs work for me pretty well. Bought extras when I bought the boots.....

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I know a shop that will install the Head lifters on any solid sole boot.....I think at $135.
And Head dealer can get them. Forca while, I think they were in short supply, when they were considered to be a replacement part for a specific boot. Once boot guys starting using them a lot more, I think Head made more!

Quite sure that any Head dealer can get them.

@markojp can get you the Head lifters, I will say they are not cheap. Tecnica and Nordica lifters are another option but need to have the nubs sanded off which is no big deal.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@markojp can get you the Head lifters, I will say they are not cheap. Tecnica and Nordica lifters are another option but need to have the nubs sanded off which is no big deal.
Can you link me the exact ones to hunt down? Should be able to get them for cost, just need to make sure we're getting the RIGHT ones. Sanding them down won't be a big deal. He was looking at Tecnica's dealer website today, and had a few in mind, but it'd be good to just tell him to get "THESE".

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can you link me the exact ones to hunt down? Should be able to get them for cost, just need to make sure we're getting the RIGHT ones. Sanding them down won't be a big deal. He was looking at Tecnica's dealer website today, and had a few in mind, but it'd be good to just tell him to get "THESE".
Tecnica LINK

For different color options...

Nordica LINK

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Put in context, no one would sell em to me last year & when I ran into Eric Lipton this week, even he could not source a pair.....

I really think @Philpug should put out a line of Vibrams & GripWalk soles.

It's doubtful Eric travels with a parts catalogue. If you need some, let me know. Honestly, any Head dealer should be able to call their rep and get some. They'll run about $90.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
It's doubtful Eric travels with a parts catalogue. If you need some, let me know. Honestly, any Head dealer should be able to call their rep and get some. They'll run about $90.

You keep asserting this, but Start House refuses to sell em to me & stopped returning my calls, Peak Performance would not investigate getting them & Northern could not obtain them. Clearly there is a disconnect with Head on this as I just got Race Service clamps easier than lil plastic lifters.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They already are routered with 5mm lifters. Just need replacement (solid) lifters
The solid lifters are not Techica ones but from boot fitting suppliers like SVST. Personally I am willing to give up the N-N-Nth degre of a solid sole for something easier and safer to walk in. But I will admit I am not always on a race ski. I would be interested in you put a set of these soles on one boot and the solid smooth lifters on the other if you would notice the difference in a race course

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like I'll put the Tecnica you linked on my Head B5 Raptor boots. Will report back. I think they actually had a Lange plate on them but still too stinkin' slippery.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
No dog in this fight other than to say that when you order something from the Tecnica/Blizzard website (parts and what not) they come pretty darn quick - at least on the EC.

Sponsor

Staff online