• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
And so....they say a watched pot never boils and as I let some time pass I recheck on Telluride forecast. Let me say this pot never boils period. Nothing happening and nothing to be happening. Oh,,,,I shouldn't say nothing. I forgot about the hammering to come of 2ish inches of fresh pow expected this Thursday then followed by freezing rain on Friday just to add another walloping amount of white stuff to the 2 inches.
And the next couple weeks thereafter are sunshine to enjoy all the powder previously laid down to be followed with a battering of flurries.

Honestly im worried the town will be inaccessible by march with all this hammering of snow thus far and expected through janurary. Im afraid we wont be able to land nor even access the town for our stay by then. At this snow rate and with their base that has grown they can expect not to see bare ground on the slopes through June.

I mean really, How much freaking snow can fall in February, Suppose to average 300" per year. They claim 14 thus far (and that's a mountain top exaggeration. With little to nothing in the forecast for the nest few weeks I don't see even reaching a 150 mark unless you can tell me February alone is going to bring it all. I waited two decades to make a trip out west and chose a place that's suppose to offer some the best march skiing there is. This might be the worst year in those 2 decades and Im not refundable with any of what I paid thus far. I was better off going to the Caribbean for this vaca.

apache

Booting up
Inactive
And so....they say a watched pot never boils and as I let some time pass I recheck on Telluride forecast. Let me say this pot never boils period. Nothing happening and nothing to be happening. Oh,,,,I shouldn't say nothing. I forgot about the hammering to come of 2ish inches of fresh pow expected this Thursday then followed by freezing rain on Friday just to add another walloping amount of white stuff to the 2 inches.
And the next couple weeks thereafter are sunshine to enjoy all the powder previously laid down to be followed with a battering of flurries.

Honestly im worried the town will be inaccessible by march with all this hammering of snow thus far and expected through janurary. Im afraid we wont be able to land nor even access the town for our stay by then. At this snow rate and with their base that has grown they can expect not to see bare ground on the slopes through June.

I mean really, How much freaking snow can fall in February, Suppose to average 300" per year. They claim 14 thus far (and that's a mountain top exaggeration. With little to nothing in the forecast for the nest few weeks I don't see even reaching a 150 mark unless you can tell me February alone is going to bring it all. I waited two decades to make a trip out west and chose a place that's suppose to offer some the best march skiing there is. This might be the worst year in those 2 decades and Im not refundable with any of what I paid thus far. I was better off going to the Caribbean for this vaca.
Wolf Creek?

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
I liked your posts @WheatKing, for finding the proper tone for this thread, even if you're happy it's snowing. There's always a downside! ;):cool::D

heck ya there is a downside.. because.. as i look out the window now.. it's gone.. a foot of snow and all that's left is rain soaked piles left to freeze rock hard tonight.

Where are these weather modification tin-foil hatters.. hack the system and make it snow...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well if the weather gods are right, you can all bitch at me. 8" in the Midwest come Thursday. If we don't get that, then I'll complain because that is the thread. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good for you....Wait, am I supposed to bitch a little or call you a little bitch for getting all the snow?
I get confused about these things ;)

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Supposed to get snow Thursday and Friday.. WOOHOO and then sat 46F and rain BOOOOO, followed up with a 26F evening, falling to -2F by Wednesday UGH.. I'll be in the south however (well south for me) visiting inlaws.. so as long as the barn don't freeze and I have to make an impromptu return home early.. don't care.. I might see the slopes before Jan.. and hopefully get to Tremblant in Jan to freeze my arse off with all the crazy quebecers..

Getting my my inlaws a 3d printer for Christmas.. maybe i'll have to borrow it to make up some 7 degree edge guides to handle what will definitely be scraped off "machine groomed granular" aka snow with the consistency of rhine usually found on the inside of household freezers.. and blower (over crystalized snow gun sand..)

When the kids are done school and i'm ready to "retire".. I'm mooooovin to the mountains..

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That didn't make my day at all. But it just added to my stressing.

Let's see how it looks by tomorrow afternoon.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
appreciate the optimism. But eve a few inches then followed by another 10 days of sunshine is not going to create any base at all which to build on all that acreage that does not contain any manmade blowers. It will just be rocks and weeds in no time.

One thing the east coast has by default is a lot of manmade coverage at many resorts (percentage wise). I understand there is les acreage but still higher percentage of snow making. They simply had to do that because we normally cant depend half as much on mother nature as the west is able to do. Im kind of surprised at the snow making coverage of west resorts. I mean just the fact that it may not be needed as much I wouldn't think would lead to installing more of it so that it can be used when needed. If that makes any sense..lol

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
appreciate the optimism. But eve a few inches then followed by another 10 days of sunshine is not going to create any base at all which to build on all that acreage that does not contain any manmade blowers. It will just be rocks and weeds in no time....

Disagree with this. At least in CO, a few inches tends to actually stick this time of year. Every little bit helps. We don't get big melt offs like the East coast very often. I've skied those few inches 5 days after a storm. It's all windpack by then, but it's still there.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
appreciate the optimism. But eve a few inches then followed by another 10 days of sunshine is not going to create any base at all which to build on all that acreage that does not contain any manmade blowers. It will just be rocks and weeds in no time.

Some of the upper mountain at Breck looks sketchy but skiable if you don't care about your skis. It doesn't turn into rocks and weeds this time of year, really - it's not going to disappear if people aren't yet skiing it. There's natural snow from a month ago that ski patrol has been packing down by side stepping it so that it sticks.

The angle of the sun isn't really such that it melts off. Typically. This has been an atypical season. Down here in the front range, 4k feet lower, my lettuce has sprung back from the grave.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Because it was snowing here this morning, the guys wouldn't start on my new roof!! Now it's clear and sunny. The roofer is saying I'm next on the list, but it could be spring. He also has some of my money!!

Thank god I have a signed contract!!

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
hahaha and so its tomorrow and I just have to laugh now cause otherwise id just stick forks in my eyes. They got blown away with a great beating form a dusting and the town almost closed down. hahaha ya just cant even make this stuff up. I mean really? what a freaking shame.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
hahaha and so its tomorrow and I just have to laugh now cause otherwise id just stick forks in my eyes. They got blown away with a great beating form a dusting and the town almost closed down. hahaha ya just cant even make this stuff up. I mean really? what a freaking shame.

The forecast for overnight here in Breck was 0". It's coming down, the snow is several inches deep even down at the condo, and the snow stake looks like maybe 5"?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The forecast for overnight here in Breck was 0". It's coming down, the snow is several inches deep even down at the condo, and the snow stake looks like maybe 5"?

Whaaat!? Omg, what a surprise. Here in BC stopped snowing early last night.

Sponsor

Staff online