• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Search for an Exam Ski

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I'm looking for a front side biased, precision skiing tool to take into Level 3+ exam situations.

What you are skiing in those situations? (L3, USSA 3/400, Examiner trainings, demo team tryout, etc...)
What's great about the ski you use and what isn't?

Bottom line I'd like to figure out what the heck to buy in the next couple of weeks: Laser AX/SX? Blizzard WRC (Cheater GS)? Rossi Hero SL (FIS/cheater SL)? Blizzard RS/RX?

I'm 135 lbs, 169cm tall

@Philpug @Ron @epic @dawgcatching

Edit 1/11/2018 - The winner is.... 2017-2018 Stockli Laser AX 167, Fischer Z13 RC4 binding, mounted on the line, tuned to 1/3 (instead of the factory 1/2).

Thanks to everyone who helped with this. I could not be happier with the result. The Laser AX grips almost like a race ski while still being very relaxed at lower speeds. It is precise, accurate, and a joy to ski on (Seriously- the stories of people raving about this thing are all real). I've tried this on hardpack, bumps, variable, trees, powder, and really like it.

While I knew my old skis were holding me back, I didn't realize quite how much till today (day 2 on the AX's). After changing the side edge on the AX's from 2 to 3 degrees, I everything just worked. The ski does exactly what's asked of it, exactly when it's asked. It's a sports car that works as a daily driver. I went from asking my trainer "is that passing" to "What'll it take to get a 6".

The RC4 is a great binding - easy to step into/out of, holds great, and the diagonal heel release is a nifty feature. The ski flexes beautifully under the binding. Perhaps most importantly - the RC4 matches the AX's color scheme almost perfectly. ;)

The only downside to this ski is that I won't have any equipment to blame if I don't pass...

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm looking for a front side biased, precision skiing tool to take into Level 3+ exam situations.

What you are skiing in those situations? (L3, USSA 3/400, Examiner trainings, demo team tryout, etc...)
What's great about the ski you use and what isn't?

Bottom line I'd like to figure out what the heck to buy in the next couple of weeks: Laser AX/SX? Blizzard WRC (Cheater GS)? Rossi Hero SL (FIS/cheater SL)? Blizzard RS/RX?

I'm 135 lbs, 169cm tall

@Philpug @Ron @epic @dawgcatching

FWIW, I did my L3 on a Head Titan. A couple of friends love their non-FIS hero SL's. At your size and weight, if you were going cheater GS, I'd look at the Hero LT or Head Rebels iSpeed. I think the iRace might be a ripp'in good exam ski as well.

For DCL tryouts in the spring, I'm thinking the iSpeed Pro in the closet will work.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Magi,

I just bought an Kastle MX84 to use as my exam ski. It is a precision weapon capable of high performance on groomers and off-piste. I, however, am 205 lbs. At 135, I'm not sure how it would be for you. Have you tried the Kastle LX?

Personally, I do not like rocker or early rise. Our level 3 cert training group has been advised not to use a slalom ski but rather a ski with more of a GS radius as "turning a long radius ski in short radius turns will teach you more." I don't remember which trainer it was that said this, but it was either the current head of the Rocky Mountain Alpine Committee (Jonathan Ballou), one of his deputies (John Wiltgen), or a current team member (Ballou, Simpson, Smith, or Fogg). All of whom are E3 examiners in Rocky Mountain.

Mike

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
realistically it shouldnt matter to much....

I used at

L3 - K2 Public Enemy
DCL - Blizzard The one
Dev Team - Blizzard X power

Id personally use a masters GS ski or a 70-80mm moderate waisted carving ski.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Never been to an L3 exam but almost every PSIA event I've been to, the clinician has been on a GS ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
realistically it shouldnt matter to much....

I used at

L3 - K2 Public Enemy
DCL - Blizzard The one
Dev Team - Blizzard X power

I'd personally use a masters GS ski or a 70-80mm moderate waisted carving ski.
I kinda agree with Josh, first of all because he has been there and passed and second of all to pass a LIII, the ski shouldn't matter. With that said, why risk it and since you have the option why not show up with the best tool possible. Remember too @Magi is only 135lb...he needs something that will bend for that light weight.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm firmly in Mike Kings camp. The ski I have that I would use right now is the Fischer Pro MTN 86. I'll post more later but whatever ski you choose I think you should love it in the bumps. I think that will make or break the whole thing.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Sure, if you are superhuman, you might pass a level 3 exam on a wide ski. Maybe someplace besides Rocky Mountain. In Rocky Mountain, there is (has been?) a bias against wide (> say 90) skis. Evidence? How about a long-time professional instructor and former extreme skier who has been repeatedly been told that the reason he hasn't passed is his skis. And yes, he can perform all the required level 3 maneuvers on his wide skis. Including the ability to ski steep bumps switch. His wife happens to be a FIS mogul judge.

Mike

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, popular L3 skis out this way are generally in the 88 world... Monster, E, etc... Div level stuff, the wider carvers... Quattro, Titan, etc...

Our process for div stuff is a season of participation/evaluation, and a three day tryout in the spring. The advice one of our tech team members gave is 'ski on a bunch of different skis over the season... versatility is good."

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Thanks for the feedback folks - please keep it coming!

I kinda agree with Josh, first of all because he has been there and passed and second of all to pass a LIII, the ski shouldn't
matter. With that said, why risk it and since you have the option why not show up with the best tool possible. Remember too @Magi is only 135lb...he needs something that will bend for that light weight.

I agree with both of you, and the ski shouldn't matter (too much). That said, the currently most "appropriate" ski in the quiver is about 5 seasons old now, and has well over 140 days on it (Magnum 8.0 CA at 158), and certainly isn't helping me train to the peak of performance. Three days before my first try at the L3 last year, my 172's of that same ski (8.0 Magnum CA) ripped an edge out, so I went into the exam on my 158s, and while a better skier could have made those work in the conditions du jour - that skier was not me on that day (partial pass, nothing under a 3).

So while I'm reasonably confident that I can pass the L3 on those skis (158 8.0 CAs) when I'm scheduled to in about a month and a half - I need a new ski regardless. I know that I want that ski to be a front side biased, performance/precision ski that I can take into L3 and beyond, and generally use as a daily driver.

I just bought an Kastle MX84 to use as my exam ski. It is a precision weapon capable of high performance on groomers and off-piste. I, however, am 205 lbs. At 135, I'm not sure how it would be for you. Have you tried the Kastle LX?

Personally, I do not like rocker or early rise.

Bending the MX84 is why I was looking at the Stockli Laser AX. (Also because I can get pro deal on Stockli and not Kastle)

Haven't Demo'd Kastle in some time, but I did demo the old version of the FX95 and quite liked it about 4 years back, loved the 166, hated the 176 (I now have 300+ more days on snow than that demo and can actually bend a ski/influence the arc of the turn sooo not sure what that's worth, but maybe it's helpful for picking a length).

I also am not a fan of much rocker and early rise. Another ski that I've borrowed from a friend and adore is the Blizzard GS Magnesium 174, 17.5m Rad, 68 underfoot. (Red and white, IQ system binding) from a few years back (no clue what year it actually is). Short radius turns on it are a dream.

I'm firmly in Mike Kings camp. The ski I have that I would use right now is the Fischer Pro MTN 86. I'll post more later but whatever ski you choose I think you should love it in the bumps. I think that will make or break the whole thing.

The Pro MTN 86 looks good (and skis great for the couple of friends I have on it), but 86 seems so wide to me... I'm happy skiing a 16" powder day on those 158 CAs.
100% agree on the "love it in the bumps". (I live at Winter Park/Mary Jane - if I don't love it in the bumps it doesn't get skied much...) :roflmao:

I had a pair of last year's 174 Blizzard 8.0 TI's that I liked but didn't love and recently sold to a friend. I originally got them as a replacement ski to take the ski day again at the end of last year, but was hit by another skier in a collisions 2 days before the retake. As I liked but did not love them, I sold them to free up funds for a ski I do love.

Our level 3 cert training group has been advised not to use a slalom ski but rather a ski with more of a GS radius as "turning a long radius ski in short radius turns will teach you more."

Agreed. I think I'm looking for something around 16-18m radius

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
How about a long-time professional instructor and former extreme skier who has been repeatedly been told that the reason he hasn't passed is his skis. And yes, he can perform all the required level 3 maneuvers on his wide skis. Including the ability to ski steep bumps switch. His wife happens to be a FIS mogul judge.

That's pretty hard to believe. Why doesn't he just get a narrow ski and pass the darn thing? There has to be some other reason that he isn't passing. Maybe it has to do with being a guy that would rather keep skiing it on the "wrong" ski and not pass than to just give in and ski it on the "right" ski.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
'Tasks' are easier and done more precisely on a narrow ski. Conversely, 60-70'ish skis more difficult to ski in certain (not all) conditions off piste for most skiers and require more accurate movements. In general, examiners are looking for refinement and higher level suckage. I also might venture to guess they're consciously looking to standardize the evaluation tool(s) along more international norms particularly after interski 2011. That said, I'm glad they seem to not be embracing the whole SL ski thing. Currently, whether we agreed or not, it would be difficult to succeed to standard on anything wider than a mid-low 80'ish carving ski even if wider had been accepted in the past.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Sure, if you are superhuman, you might pass a level 3 exam on a wide ski. Maybe someplace besides Rocky Mountain. In Rocky Mountain, there is (has been?) a bias against wide (> say 90) skis. Evidence? How about a long-time professional instructor and former extreme skier who has been repeatedly been told that the reason he hasn't passed is his skis. And yes, he can perform all the required level 3 maneuvers on his wide skis. Including the ability to ski steep bumps switch. His wife happens to be a FIS mogul judge.

Mike

apparently I ski better than this guy then.....and I kinda of suck.

No really do you have video of the guys skiing or demos? If you are able to perform the task to the standard it shouldnt matter. I will conceded its easy on an exam ski like Blizzard X power, but I ironically the only tryouts I havent made I have skied on "Exam" skis.......to be fair I was flat out told my result wasnt because of my skiing or teaching...

If they are not passing someone who is able to perform the tasks to the standard , because they do not like his skis, the people in the wrong here are the examiners not the person trying to pass his L3.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Here in Europe, a Cheater GS is recomended for 'Landes 1' (~L3 I think). Even for the 'Geländefahrt' (literary: 'terrain run', off the groomed)... Rossi Hero Elite T, Völkl Racetige GS, Head WC Rebels i.Speed... Most instructors on that level are on i.Speed Pro or similar.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
apparently I ski better than this guy then.....and I kinda of suck.

No really do you have video of the guys skiing or demos? If you are able to perform the task to the standard it shouldnt matter. I will conceded its easy on an exam ski like Blizzard X power, but I ironically the only tryouts I havent made I have skied on "Exam" skis.......to be fair I was flat out told my result wasnt because of my skiing or teaching...

If they are not passing someone who is able to perform the tasks to the standard , because they do not like his skis, the people in the wrong here are the examiners not the person trying to pass his L3.

In fairness, it sounds like we're getting L3 confused for div staff tryouts. Locally, 88's are very popular for L3. I had a woman in a training group on a 105 last weekend who is a lapsed L3 and easily skis to current standard. I think she'd pass no problem on a wider ski, and completely agree for L3 that the ski really shouldn't matter a lick if the skiing qualifies. That said, most L3 candidates will enjoy better success on something around 85-90 as a compromise for on and off piste performance.

Josh knows this, but if you're not directly involved, we forget that div staff is competitive (L1/2/3 are not) which is the OP's focus, correct? Asking for a tryout to be done on a particular type or subset of tools is what it is, and in my opinion, fine. I think nat'l team tryouts were all done on cheater GS's last time around by mutual agreement. Anyhow...

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Magi, the Kastle is available on pro-form. You simply need to go through your rep or the Kastle USA guy. I will PM you his contact data.

That's pretty hard to believe. Why doesn't he just get a narrow ski and pass the darn thing? There has to be some other reason that he isn't passing. Maybe it has to do with being a guy that would rather keep skiing it on the "wrong" ski and not pass than to just give in and ski it on the "right" ski.

Bingo. He has a hair up his, well, you know what. It probably has to do no only with the skis, but also some long-standing personality issues that existed years ago in PSIA-RM. Now he's done with PSIA. Too bad, as he is one of the top instructors at a major resort, could provide a lot of benefit to the organization, and could also benefit from association with it.

Mike

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Josh knows this, but if you're not directly involved, we forget that div staff is competitive (L1/2/3 are not) which is the OP's focus, correct?

Level 3 is the next benchmark, but I'm absolutely looking to continue to improve my skiing/teaching/MA indefinitely. Benchmarking that would likely involve the Trainer/Examiner path formally or informally. While I'm not sure that I want the job of Demo team member - being able to ski and teach on that level seems like a great goal.

So current short list - Laser AX, MX84, Fischer Pro MTN 86, Blizz WRC/Rossi Hero LT. Three great all mountain skis and a pair of stellar cheater GS skis. Other things to put on the list? Thoughts between those? Skis I'm overlooking?

@dawgcatching Care to weigh in beyond the fabulous article you already posted: https://forum.pugski.com/threads/shootout-kastle-mx84-stockli-laser-ax-fischer-pro-mountain-86.3982/ ? :D

P.S. Anyone reading this that doesn't have instructing experience, but does have a history of great participation on these sorts of things in the forum is more than welcome to post thoughts. If you're unfamiliar with the L3 process, the requirements for the ski where I'm at all worried about which ski I'm on are: Fall line Bump Skiing on black/double black terrain, Performance [as carved as possible] Short radius turns, Performance Skiing in Variable snow conditions [think stability in crud over float].

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I think it's more important that you have confidence in your ski than what that ski actually is. If it were me, I would take a Fischer WC RC in a 180 cm length, but it isn't me; I have no motivation whatsoever to ski in a fashion dictated by somebody else. I would probably recommend something of the same radius and length, but not as stiff for you. Cheiz's recommendations look good.

As to failing an exam or competition because you are on the wrong skis, despite skiing to or above the standard, I don't believe it. Failing because you're an adzhole, maybe (the world runs on politics not engineering :(). Failing due to carving ability inferior to other candidates, ability that might improve with some practice on a different type of ski, that I would believe.

Sponsor

Staff online