• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Search for an Exam Ski

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have FF17 or 20 on my race skis and Marker Jester Pro 18 on my wider skis. Like them both.
A few years ago I had a lighter binding on wider skis, but the edge grip was much worse. I could feel the slack. Had to tip and angulate much more.
On wider skis the binding is actually very important because of the increased torque on a wider ski.

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Attack 16. Might start using the Z17 though.

And that settles me on mounting my already owned (and currently unused) Attack 13's on these to save lots of weight.

Had a conversation with my Trainer/Examiner/Fischer+Tyrolia Rep, and he thought the Attack 13's would be a better choice for off piste performance (due to weight savings) than the Z13s. He also suggested that I could just swap the binding to a Z13 if I wanted more carving performance after I'd tried the A13's. So I'll hedge my bets and save some cash by going with what I have right now.

Thank you so much to everyone who's helped with this. I truly value all of the feedback and assistance that was given throughout this process. I've learned a lot, and I'm beyond psyched to get out on snow after the skis get here next week.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Don't know about models. But, seems to me a full-rocker carving ski having mid-80's width would be extremely versatile. I'm thinking of my older Volkl RTM 84.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And that settles me on mounting my already owned (and currently unused) Attack 13's on these to save lots of weight.

Had a conversation with my Trainer/Examiner/Fischer+Tyrolia Rep, and he thought the Attack 13's would be a better choice for off piste performance (due to weight savings) than the Z13s. He also suggested that I could just swap the binding to a Z13 if I wanted more carving performance after I'd tried the A13's. So I'll hedge my bets and save some cash by going with what I have right now.

Thank you so much to everyone who's helped with this. I truly value all of the feedback and assistance that was given throughout this process. I've learned a lot, and I'm beyond psyched to get out on snow after the skis get here next week.
The weight savings is minimal, you would never feel it, it is basically under the foot and unsprung. Even with that said, the Attack is fine.

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
The weight savings is minimal, you would never feel it, it is basically under the foot and unsprung. Even with that said, the Attack is fine.

It seems I made an error...

When I first looked up the numbers on weight I think I got a listing for the Attack 13's at ~1100grams vs the Z13's ~2500, which with some cross checking makes me think that's a per foot weight on the 13's and per pair on the Z13's.

@Philpug Do you have accurate weights handy for both bindings or can you confirm that the minimal weight savings is ballbark ~300 grams? Cause I'll suck up 150g per foot for a better binding.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It seems I made an error...

When I first looked up the numbers on weight I think I got a listing for the Attack 13's at ~1100grams vs the Z13's ~2500, which with some cross checking makes me think that's a per foot weight on the 13's and per pair on the Z13's.

@Philpug Do you have accurate weights handy for both bindings or can you confirm that the minimal weight savings is ballbark ~300 grams? Cause I'll suck up 150g per foot for a better binding.
The Attack 13 is 2070g and while I don't have the Z13, the Free Flex Evo 14 is 2330, still close enough and neither would be a significant enough difference in this application. These are pair weights.

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
The Attack 13 is 2070g and while I don't have the Z13, the Free Flex Evo 14 is 2330, still close enough and neither would be a significant enough difference in this application. These are pair weights.

Well then! Time to order the freeflex Z13 :beercheer:

Thanks for taking the time to look that up Phil. :hail:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I was driving home from the hill today and I was thinking about traveling down to Killington in a weeks time for Ed Staff training and just thinking about packing gear and stuff. What ski would I bring? The Curv or Pro Mtn 86? It's not an exam, but you do want to be able to perform. I was thinking about what everyone else brings, and there are a lot of GS and a fair amount of SL skis. I have a couple of friends that are on Volk and while Vokl gives them RTM 84s they are almost always on big GS skis. Matt Boyd is often skiing a 30m ski. Does this make sense? When was the last time that any ski instructor had a student show up for a lesson on FIS legal GS skis? Shouldn't we be skiing on something with some resemblance to what our clients are skiing on? I'd say yes, and by extension, doesn't it make sense that Ed Staff should too?

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I was driving home from the hill today and I was thinking about traveling down to Killington in a weeks time for Ed Staff training and just thinking about packing gear and stuff. What ski would I bring? The Curv or Pro Mtn 86? It's not an exam, but you do want to be able to perform. I was thinking about what everyone else brings, and there are a lot of GS and a fair amount of SL skis. I have a couple of friends that are on Volk and while Vokl gives them RTM 84s they are almost always on big GS skis. Matt Boyd is often skiing a 30m ski. Does this make sense? When was the last time that any ski instructor had a student show up for a lesson on FIS legal GS skis? Shouldn't we be skiing on something with some resemblance to what our clients are skiing on? I'd say yes, and by extension, doesn't it make sense that Ed Staff should too?

So everyone should also be renting their boots from the killington base rentals ensuring they are at least one size too big? ogwink

Tongue firmly out of cheek - that's an excellent point.

What gets studied/done at Ed Staff trainings? What's the goal of the training that happens?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I expect it will be mostly making sure everyone is on the same page about exam demos and scoring standards.

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I'm looking for a front side biased, precision skiing tool to take into Level 3+ exam situations.

What you are skiing in those situations? (L3, USSA 3/400, Examiner trainings, demo team tryout, etc...)
What's great about the ski you use and what isn't?

Bottom line I'd like to figure out what the heck to buy in the next couple of weeks: Laser AX/SX? Blizzard WRC (Cheater GS)? Rossi Hero SL (FIS/cheater SL)? Blizzard RS/RX?

I'm 135 lbs, 169cm tall

@Philpug @Ron @epic @dawgcatching
The winner is.... 2017-2018 Stockli Laser AX 167, Fischer Z13 RC4 binding, mounted on the line, tuned to 1/3 (instead of the factory 1/2).

Thanks to everyone who helped with this. I could not be happier with the result. The Laser AX grips almost like a race ski while still being very relaxed at lower speeds. It is precise, accurate, and a joy to ski on (Seriously- the stories of people raving about this thing are all real). I've tried this on hardpack, bumps, variable, trees, powder, and really like it.

While I knew my old skis were holding me back, I didn't realize quite how much till today (day 2 on the AX's). After changing the side edge on the AX's from 2 to 3 degrees, I everything just worked. The ski does exactly what's asked of it, exactly when it's asked. It's a sports car that works as a daily driver. I went from asking my trainer "is that passing" to "What'll it take to get a 6".

The RC4 is a great binding - easy to step into/out of, holds great, and the diagonal heel release is a nifty feature. The ski flexes beautifully under the binding. Perhaps most importantly - the RC4 matches the AX's color scheme almost perfectly. ;)

The only downside to this ski is that I won't have any equipment to blame if I don't pass...

Sponsor