• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Search for an Exam Ski

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
People overthink it imo. Have 2 pairs, one narrow-ish and front sided, and one wider off-piste, learn and know both intimately. Come exam day, chose one of the other based on the current conditions....either way, you will feel good about your choice because you “know” both skis and how they react in various conditions.

FWIW, I passed my L2 on World Cup sl’s and my L3 on volkl mantras, but I had both with me both times....point is, you can’t possibly pick just one ski this early in the season, so pick 2 and you should be covered ;-)

zenny

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
A short, slight friend went to division staff tryouts on Nordica Firearrows. Didn't make it but it wasn't the skiing. His presentations weren't quite there. Whatever you pick, get the skis soon and get all the time on them you can in as many settings as possible.

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
To turn the question in a related but slightly different direction...

What binding would you suggest to match with the Laser AX in 167?

Edit - I ski at DIN 8

Second Edit - If race binding - plate or no plate?

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A Freeflex is a great option too.
Have you tried the Tyrolia/ Fischer freeflex bindings out? I'm between the Xcell and one of those.

(and thanks for your input!)

Why no plate?
Because you don't need it on this ski.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Have you tried the Tyrolia/ Fischer freeflex bindings out? I'm between the Xcell and one of those.

Yes. I'm running the FF17 on most of my skis. They are expensive and heavy and DIN starts at 7, but I think they are probably a little better than the Cell 12. Oddly the FF16 DIN starts at 8. FF13 has a lot more plastic and the tractor AFD which some say is inferior to the solid one on the higher DIN models.

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Because you don't need it on this ski.

Maybe a better way to ask that would be - how do you evaluate plate/no plate? (I don't really know what a plate does beyond increase stand height).

The RC4 Z Freeflex 13 would let me mess with the "mount point" on the ski +/- a centimeter, right @Philpug ?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe a better way to ask that would be - how do you evaluate plate/no plate? (I don't really know what a plate does beyond increase stand height).

The RC4 Z Freeflex 13 would let me mess with the "mount point" on the ski +/- a centimeter, right @Philpug ?
The FF have a hard mount toe, no no playung fore and aft. The ski skis so well out of the bod and at 77mm underfoot, why would you want the extra (weight and) leverage of a plate?

TS
M

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
The FF have a hard mount toe, no no playung fore and aft. The ski skis so well out of the bod and at 77mm underfoot, why would you want the extra (weight and) leverage of a plate?

That makes sense - thanks for explaining what the plate does Phil.

Any input on how concerned to be over the mount point? and any ways to figure that out beyond finding a pair to demo?

What the heck are the differences between the FF16's "Race Service Construction" and the FF17, and the FF13 (other than DIN range)? Fischer's website is woefully lacking and I'm not seeing this defined anywhere else...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That makes sense - thanks for explaining what the plate does Phil.

Any input on how concerned to be over the mount point? and any ways to figure that out beyond finding a pair to demo?

What the heck are the differences between the FF16's "Race Service Construction" and the FF17, and the FF13 (other than DIN range)? Fischer's website is woefully lacking and I'm not seeing this defined anywhere else...
The Race Service has a solid AFD, the regular one has the "tractor style".

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Is the OP racing or participating in a certification exam?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FF Evo 16 doesn't have the tractor ADF. Though a 'race' binding, it skis very well and will easily fit over an 80 something ski. I had the older white version with the tractor mounted on a Rev85 pro.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG

Left to right:
FF17 on Fischer 180cm 23m Race service non-tractor toe, non-diagonal heel
older Head FF17 on Fischer 180cm 23m non race service, tractor toe, diagonal heel
older (3yrs?) FF16 on Fischer 188cm 25m (my new ski bum ski) race service, tractor toe, non-diagonal heel, loads of metal
current FF13 on Fischer 155 SL tractor toe, diagonal heel, pretty plasticy

They're all good. I like the diagonal heel (though it's questionable if it does anything). The race service skis don't have it because it increases stack height.

Just posted to clarify what is what with these bindings.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have an older FF17+ with the tractor mounted on a pair of Volants. Although I was disappointed in not having a solid (no moving parts) AFD, the binding has performed flawlessly.
I also have Fischer's version of Tyrolia on my SCs, an FR12. It works well too. I will say that adding a plate would help me avoid booting out on hardpack; I have very wide forefeet.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just talked about this with my new Rossi st in the gear forum, the guy suggested the Look SPX race instead of the Rockerflex , the race does not have the piece connecting the heel and toe like the Rockerflex, a lot of his clients who are coaches or exam guys liked the ski better because for what they were using the ski for , not actual racing , it improved the overall flex of the ski.

Sponsor

Staff online