• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember all of this shiz. And I loved runaway straps - my skis never hit me or cut me...

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember when - cords were warmer than levi’s.
I remember when - skiing with my dad , he had that really hunched over don’t use your poles style

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I remember when - cords were warmer than levi’s.
I remember when - skiing with my dad , he had that really hunched over don’t use your poles style

Cords sucked for people who fell in them. The snow stuck in the gaps and froze up. You could just brush the snow off jeans more easily..

And GATORS!!!! :yahoo:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cords were all the rage back in the early 70’s at snow summit.......ha ha ha !!

James

Out There
Instructor
I remember getting soaked and that once my jeans got wet and froze they were warmer, must of cut the wind better or something. :huh:
Yes could be the wind proofing. Also, maybe they bonded to the wet Duofold cotton "thermal" underwear. That's what we used anyway with jeans. Goodness, cotton as a thermal layer. And outer layer!

Of course no one was stupid enough to wear a cotton hat...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember skiing at Elk Mountain and it must have been raining. We were soaked and frozen and my friend's mom wouldn't turn the heat on in the car. It was a VW fastback and the heater used gasoline to work, or so I was told. Long ride home.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember skiing at Elk Mountain and it must have been raining. We were soaked and frozen and my friend's mom wouldn't turn the heat on in the car. It was a VW fastback and the heater used gasoline to work, or so I was told. Long ride home.
Who's mom? I don't recall being on that trip.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

I remember going to Stowe in a VW Bus, yes the classic one loved by flower children, and it had an air-cooled engine which produced almost no heat as there was no hot water. My guess is that this is what your friends car was powered with. We would freeze our aXXXs off riding in 0 degree VT weather. But, to tell the truth, they were some of the great trips of my life.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I remember from when most of you weren't born yet, including all the above stuff.

I remember skis with slots from sidewall to sidewall for a strap that went over your toes. We cut up innertubes to make huge rubber bands that went under your toes and around your heels.

I remember when Boyne Mtn. brought the Midwest its first chairlift, a used oil derrick-like structure originally built by railroad engineers for Sun Valley.

I remember as a young father having callouses on both little fingers from tightening all the boot laces for my daughters, wife and myself.

I remember getting intoxicated for the second time in my life (I couldn't drink because it gave me a migraine and made me nauseous) when the examiners announced I was number three out of thirty candidates to get my full certification.

I once was going up a t-bar...and poking my pole in the snow cuz I was bored..and I dropped my pole. So I told my buddy, I'm going to roll off and grab my pole and just skip over to the run beside through the trees and meet ya at the bottom. So I rolled off, grabbed my pole, looked up and WHAM! Got hit square in the forehead with the down t-bar..... True story. I'm an engineer now..be afraid... :roflmao:

And I remember crossing under the Victor chair at Boyne to get to the shorter line on the other side while being careful to time my trip to avoid the upgoing chair but failing to account for the downgoing chair. The fracture in my skull was my first significant ski injury.

88995669.jpg
72905303.jpg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
That was the optional "auxiliary" gas heater, which should have been standard here. I do recall my dad having some trouble with one of his gas heaters; it smelled of gasoline and sometimes made loud bangs. There was also heat supplied from the engine. In most VWs back in the day it exited from two ducts under the back seat, one on either side, further ducting ran along under the doors to bring it to the defroster for the front window.
The first part of the car to rust away were these ducts. I once had a 17 year old '69 VW wagon and rigged up a vacuum cleaner hose to clear a view port as a stop-gap solution, not the safest thing to do.:nono:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
My dad had those Rosemonts!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember when:

chairlifts didn't have safety bars.

Northeast Michigan had several small ski areas.

Helmets simply weren't a thing.

Simply having gone out west to ski meant you were a better skier. "He's skied at Aspen...he must be awesome!"

Crested Butte had free skiing until Christmas.

I would duct tape the palms of my gloves to protect against rope tow shreddage.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Royal Christie, Tip Rolls, Worm turns, Crossovers, Spread Eagles, Daffys, Back Scratchers, Fist Tails, Wong Turns, Helicopters
Doing any of these made you a crazy Freestyler
Short Swing or Wedeln do the run and you were an accomplished Skier
Longthongs or Arlberg straps were painful and then safety straps were a pain so we took them off and cranked the binders up.
No Tunnel on I70

Sponsor

Staff online