• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
had the 3s Super Force in a PR7 , with the Soly boots and bindings a pretty decent bump set up.
remember taking a long time trying to decide was I a pr7 or pr8.
Had did that decision process go? How were you supposed to decide?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I remember when instead of ski brakes we had 24" straps tying the skis to our ankles that turned the skis in to 200 cm razor edge nun chucks that whipped around and whacked the back of your skull if you went over the handlebars.. They called these devices "safety straps".

I also remember and still own iSki glasses.

I remember the first time I tried on a pairs of Vuarnets outside on the snow..

tmg-facebook_social.jpg

I have so many iSki, Vuarnets, Raybans, and Oakleys I have lost count..

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember when you had to side-step up to load on Chair 1 at Mammoth. It wasn't all that long ago, right? Right?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I remember ....

Listening to the Doors, Rolling Stones, and the Beatles in the top house of Mt. Cranmore while warming up and eating popcorn around the wood fired stove.

Skiing in a black snowmobile one piece and thinking how lucky I was.

Hart Hornets.

The way the East Slope chair would bounce especially near the top.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
re the sizing:
Soloman had the power rating chart, you put in your weight height preferred terrain and plus the usual lies about ability and style of skiing.
I do remember I came out exactly on the line between a pr7 or 8

the Super Force in the 3s was a stiffer model bump ski . So I picked the lower pr, turned out to be a pretty good match
the actual length may have been somewhere around 197 ? never knew, they were a tad shorter than my usual 200s in those days.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Like this?

sm_79-1_tow_rope_gripper.jpg

Invented and patented by Bousquet in Massachusetts in 1941.

Closer, but not the same thing. I've been going through my Dad's slides and don't see any skiing one. So no help. I remember something that was rectangular with the "hinge" portion about 4" wide. You kept one or both hands on it. Maybe it was home made. Probably one of the guys at Bata Shoe thought it up.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember ....

Listening to the Doors, Rolling Stones, and the Beatles in the top house of Mt. Cranmore while warming up and eating popcorn around the wood fired stove.

Skiing in a black snowmobile one piece and thinking how lucky I was.

Hart Hornets..

The way the East Slope chair would bounce especially near the top.

Awesome home movie!! Love that wacky lift! and some pretty stylin' skiing too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
re the sizing:
Soloman had the power rating chart, you put in your weight height preferred terrain and plus the usual lies about ability and style of skiing.
I do remember I came out exactly on the line between a pr7 or 8

the Super Force in the 3s was a stiffer model bump ski . So I picked the lower pr, turned out to be a pretty good match
the actual length may have been somewhere around 197 ? never knew, they were a tad shorter than my usual 200s in those days.
When they went to the wood cores (the original S9000 was a foam core), they came out with the SuperForce. IMHO, the SuperForce 2S had some of the best graphics of all time too...especially when mounted with the 997E in the matching blue.
$_59.JPG

Rio

Putting on skis
Skier
I remember a day skiing in Oregon in the 60s meant coming home soaking wet with extremities so numb my parents had to unzip my clothes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember when:
It was cool to leave your lift ticket/wicket on your jacket. The really cool kids have LOTS of tickets
My skis had a safety strap(before brakes). If you fell they would windmill and beat you up before you slid to a stop

I remember when buying my first set of ski brakes meant that I didn't have to worry about getting hit on the head any more. :duck:
Yup!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When they went to the wood cores (the original S9000 was a foam core), they came out with the SuperForce. IMHO, the SuperForce 2S had some of the best graphics of all time too...especially when mounted with the 997E in the matching blue.
$_59.JPG

I skied a pair of Super Force a couple times before giving them away. I got them for fifty bucks with bindings in good condition. They were a good ski. I was just focusing on getting more modern shapes when I gave them away to a friend..

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Zero G was at Vernon Valley. Pipeline was the steep trail at Great Gorge North.:D

I never skied much at North, but I did ski Pipeline a couple of times before they dropped it from the trail map. I remember Kamikaze at South quite well. Looked steeper than hell when I was a beginner

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
can't say I've ever paid much attention to graphics,
the 3s had some sort of metal flaky green look happening , they sparkled in the sun
I did think the flames on the base were cool though.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Some people called them Safety Straps but I remember them as Runaway Straps to keep the ski from running away down the mountain. I guess I was just lucky that I never got hit with a ski during a fall. I do remember falling on the top of a ski when falling.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Remember when ski brakes first appeared and were not considered sufficient to keep a loose ske from heading down the mountain. Some areas still made you use a runaway strap; that way you had razors and knives attached to your ankles when a ski came off :golfclap:

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Replacing my Hanson Rivas with Nordica Polaris boots that came nearly to my knees. The Polaris were the most comfortable boot I skied until I took up tele.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I remember darkness.
Assembling in the early morning
darkness
The straining light of a single bare bulb hanging inadequately in the midst of snow flake muffled murmurs. casting shadows of ski tails resting on a bare dirt floor.
Waiting in head down darkness, observing shadows.
Waiting to enter the red painted gondola that will take self assembled groups to the summit. There, the first gray of dawn offered only enough distinction to choose a route . A route down through bottomless white that brought again darkness. Darkness again, over and over and over with every porpoised turn, while filling nostrils, mouth and throat with icy cold. The darkness of the white room.
A darkness to return to, "succumb to" may be more to the point.
A memory
The "Milk Run"

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online