• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I remember driving to Loveland Basin on US 6, and they were digging something called the Straight Creek Tunnel underneath the divide there.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember Park City when the area where Deer Valley's base is was a place locals went to shoot bottles and cans.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember when the Canyons was Park West

but.but.but what about Wolf mountain?

I have skied all 3. My son learned to ski at Wolf Mountain in '97. I couldn't believe they were sending 3.5 year olds up a chair with no safety bar and no adult supervision. The kids were just fine btw and he and our friend's son were both skiing easy blues by the end of the week.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
^^^^^
Meadow Mountain? Vail?
These tickets were from my 1st visit to Vail in the late 60's as a kid and I remember being bummed out that I didn't have Vail lift tickets on my jacket.
We also were stuck up on Loveland Pass as a tanker had slid off 6

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I remember when, with leather boots, lace-up or buckle, being in the back seat was just a position you passed through on your way down. Boof!

thewirewiz

Booting up
Skier
Cool thread. I remember skiing at Tyrol ski area in Jackson NH long ago. Unless my mind is making this up, they had a $2 day weekly. You could buy a lift ticket with a $2 bill. If you didn't have one, you could go to the cafeteria and get change, which would include at least one $2 bill, which, when presented at the ticket window would get you a lift ticket.
I often wondered how many $2 bills they had, and how many miles they put on them.
Fun fact: from the top of Tyrol
, looking off the back side of the mountain, I could see the old Bertha Dame farmhouse that I was living in up on Dundee Mt.

Should mention that the farmhouse is long gone, but the two seater out back, big hole and little hole, still remains.

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Who from NJ, NY, PA, might recall this famous rest stop on NY17 before the NY state throughway existed and back in the days when the Catskills as well as the poconos were in their hayday as for destinations in the 60's and 70's. We'd stop here on the way home from skiing Hunter Mt all the time in the 70's as well as other things that brought us to mountains besides skiing. The Red Apple rest stop. Cafeteria style with really good food at one time back the day was quite well known. My dad would detour there even though was well after the throughway was built just to eat there on the way home anyway. Actually many people did just that.
Besides this picture here is also a link that describes its popularity.
http://www.messynessychic.com/2017/04/27/if-only-the-decaying-walls-of-the-iconic-red-apple-rest-stop-could-talk/
Though it served well into the 70's and 80's before changing hands.
Also my father in-law was (rest his sole) truck driver and stopped there plenty back in the 50's and 60's. not only as a trucker but with the fam whenever they went to the catskills for camping or whatever. For us was a on the way home (with slight detour) after ski dinner where we warmed are frozen toes from our leather boots.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
When skis had a groove in the bases.
When people said on your left.
When googles cost $20.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Cool thread. I remember skiing at Tyrol ski area in Jackson NH long ago. Unless my mind is making this up, they had a $2 day weekly. You could buy a lift ticket with a $2 bill. If you didn't have one, you could go to the cafeteria and get change, which would include at least one $2 bill, which, when presented at the ticket window would get you a lift ticket.
I often wondered how many $2 bills they had, and how many miles they put on them.
Fun fact: from the top of Tyrol
, looking off the back side of the mountain, I could see the old Bertha Dame farmhouse that I was living in up on Dundee Mt.

Should mention that the farmhouse is long gone, but the two seater out back, big hole and little hole, still remains.

I vaguley remember skiing Tyrol. One of the 5 areas in 'The Big One'. There was a lodge at Tyrol that after the area closed was used by my church for outings. We had overnights there. What we did, since the ski area wasn't open, I don't recall.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I love reading all of these comments and memories!!!! Particularly the ones about the north east......so much history in Pugski here about the sport of skiing. Ashamed that it took me so log to join

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I remember getting out of high school for the day, looking at the 2000' mountain across the street from my school, and when there was snow on top heading for the hills. We would grab my car, pack a dinner, head up to Ski Acres (now Summit at Snoqualmie Central) buy a night skiing ticket ($5), eat our packed dinner, wait until 5:00 for night skiing to begin, ski until 9:30 or so, be in bed before 11:00, and make it to school the next morning.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I remember 8 dollar lift tickets at Elk
... when shaped skis meant they were shaped like skis.
...when my jeans froze solid from the knees down

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Who from NJ, NY, PA, might recall this famous rest stop on NY17 before the NY state throughway existed and back in the days when the Catskills as well as the poconos were in their hayday as for destinations in the 60's and 70's. We'd stop here on the way home from skiing Hunter Mt all the time in the 70's as well as other things that brought us to mountains besides skiing. The Red Apple rest stop. Cafeteria style with really good food at one time back the day was quite well known. My dad would detour there even though was well after the throughway was built just to eat there on the way home anyway. Actually many people did just that.
Besides this picture here is also a link that describes its popularity.
http://www.messynessychic.com/2017/04/27/if-only-the-decaying-walls-of-the-iconic-red-apple-rest-stop-could-talk/
Though it served well into the 70's and 80's before changing hands.
Also my father in-law was (rest his sole) truck driver and stopped there plenty back in the 50's and 60's. not only as a trucker but with the fam whenever they went to the catskills for camping or whatever. For us was a on the way home (with slight detour) after ski dinner where we warmed are frozen toes from our leather boots.
I remember stopping there as a young kid. we were on a bus trip, not sure it was to West Point or Hyde Park. I also remember the ride went along side the Hudson river and all the old ships that were stored there in the "Grave Yard".

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
some more old TV ski related commercial memories for fun.
Awesome! I worked as "Junior Ski Patrol" at Mt. Airy in 1977 or 78. The ski area doubled as a golf course in the summer (or vice versa). The pay was free "skiing", free burger for lunch, and we got to put the snowmobiles away at night.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I remember when Jet Stix became a telemark thing.
I had Jet Stix with Raichle Red Hot boots back in th very early70's. Thought I was the second coming of Corky Fowler , but did not have the Hart Javelins. Killy 800's.

Great sport, great times, with a lot of great people. I can't believe I have so many season's under my belt. Skiing this past Sunday at 7 Springs during the snow was a great throwback to season's past when it snowed a lot in winter!

Who had the foamed Trappeur ski boots back in the day ?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January