• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do ski shops actually get the edge angles right?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Come on now, you know as well as I do it's no about being happy - it's about winning the tuning threads :D

From my endurance racing years, while I usually managed to win the Old Dude class, there was always at least one youngster that trumped me in the overall, so I am perfectly comfortable in the roll of FIRST LOSER! :ogcool:

(aka second place)

(running out to see a PT now, after that little back pat above)

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Come on now, you know as well as I do it's no about being happy - it's about winning the tuning threads :D
Is the only way to quantify the winner by who spends the most money and time for the least amount of improvement, eh? On skills, tuning or just buying new gear? All of the aboveogwink

D121B8D9-0218-417A-8B83-84A519F3E3D6_1_201_a.jpeg

Or

DPSvsPractice.png

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

I have friend that is the opposite. Why DIY when I have a Dwight. Another person kept asking him why he doesn't do it all himself. He has the "time" and means to do it. :)
Plus I like getting paid in liquid spirits too. And I get to hear other skiers ask why his skis are usually faster in the glide phase and he is good guinea pig for me.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
D121B8D9-0218-417A-8B83-84A519F3E3D6_1_201_a.jpeg

^ always!

Snowball effect, unbeknownst to you, you've opened Pandora's box at the get go!

and don't forget the essential tool(s) that may get used once again sometime in the next two decades
then there's the oh no realization that my "big box" yellow, teal and red power tools are terribly inaccurate, must replace with the green colored furniture grade tools, a realization which of course comes after wrecking an expensive stockpile of raw materials
but wait, Rockler sells parts to turn the ping-pong table into a router table because who doesn't need a router table the size of a ping-pong table!
:facepalm:

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
I am seeing the makings of a Victorian novel - Flat Expectations

*shrug* if "good enough" flat includes longitudinal waves, twist-warp, one edge overground / base not parallel to topsheet (built in canting) then good enough, I guess?

Flatness is like mean sea level... the closer you look the less definite you can be about anything.
Ahhh. You are shaking my faith in the perfection of the base grind. Luckily I just bought a new 12" toko radial file. Surely my bases will come out perfectly flat...
I haven't been happy with my last two flat grinds....grumble.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Ahhh. You are shaking my faith in the perfection of the base grind. Luckily I just bought a new 12" toko radial file. Surely my bases will come out perfectly flat...
I haven't been happy with my last two flat grinds....grumble.
Be sure not to bend the file while cutting the bases or edges.

The Ski Visions base planers are designed for hand base flattening and structuring. The file flattener will hold the Toko Radial file and keep it flat.

altabrig

Skier
Be sure not to bend the file while cutting the bases or edges.

The Ski Visions base planers are designed for hand base flattening and structuring. The file flattener will hold the Toko Radial file and keep it flat.
I broke off 100mm of the panzer for shaping topsheets and using it for repairs. Unless it is a trashed rocks ski I can't see myself filing down a railed or base high ski. I'll take it back to the last shop I was happy with a grind from or try a new one. I would get the ski visions planer before attempting it with file alone. I would put too much pressure and endup with a 4 degree bevel on an edge or something more awful.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I broke off 100mm of the panzer for shaping topsheets and using it for repairs. Unless it is a trashed rocks ski I can't see myself filing down a railed or base high ski. I'll take it back to the last shop I was happy with a grind from or try a new one. I would get the ski visions planer before attempting it with file alone. I would put too much pressure and endup with a 4 degree bevel on an edge or something more awful.
mWNhBA.gif

altabrig

Skier
A good cobbler is hard to find. I need his contact info.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
and don't forget the essential tool(s) that may get used once again sometime in the next two decades

OK, show of hands, who has bought a specialty tool at least once in their life, then realized at some point that you already owned it?!

Asking for a friend that recently bought a tap for mounting bindings, used it, and found the identical tap in the logical ski tool drawer when he put the new one away....

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
OK, show of hands, who has bought a specialty tool at least once in their life, then realized at some point that you already owned it?!

Asking for a friend that recently bought a tap for mounting bindings, used it, and found the identical tap in the logical ski tool drawer when he put the new one away....
Raises hand...

Sponsor

Staff online