• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do ski shops actually get the edge angles right?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's no datum plane on any ski that is actually *defined* to be flat, not the base, not the edges and certainly not the topsheets.

Confused. My "flat" datum is pretty simple, being a very high-quality true bar showing no light at any point along the ski base. More than good enough IMO.

Yes, he's been recommended to me as well. I just haven't needed any shop stuff in years. I maintain my structure myself and haven't seen a core shot since my last trip to Big Sky.

My Titans got skied and waxed so much over many years that I needed the structure brought back more than I was comfortable doing by hand. So I brought them to a shop-that-shall-not-be-named and they did a fine job then dulled the tips and tails aggressively for 6 inches?!?!

After Jeff's corrections, they are back to feeling new.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
A true bar really only gives you an indication at that position. What if the ski is twisted in a longitudinal fashion? Or had an uneven base grind side to side from front to back? What is the datum that proves squareness in all directions? I mean if we're splitting hairs at .25*, this should be considered..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Imagine having a quiver of 10 skis each with its own specific tune?
10? :huh:
You talking about a personal quiver or working on different skis at a back shop?

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
. Expectations of perfection are unrealistic and you will not feel the subtle differences and variations along the ski edges and bases that will occur no matter how and by whom the skis are tuned.

A lot of this is over thinking and sweating the small stuff that does not really matter. Strive for consistency & excellence, not perfection or you will drive yourself nuts, spend way too much time for zero ROI. You will never get off the bench just go ski and have fun.
Very much this ^.

However, I enjoy working on my skis. I will not sweat imperfections of my own doing. Paid tune done poorly or without regard to instructions is annoying and a good reason to stop giving that shop business .

Just back from three hours of lazy laps on packed powder to firm to icy conditions with 'imperfect' hand tuned edge angles that were smooth and grippy. Just sayin', good times & "KISS!".

So that’s the reason my order hasn’t made it to the post office … ;)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Confused. My "flat" datum is pretty simple, being a very high-quality true bar showing no light at any point along the ski base. More than good enough IMO.

My Titans got skied and waxed so much over many years that I needed the structure brought back more than I was comfortable doing by hand. So I brought them to a shop-that-shall-not-be-named and they did a fine job then dulled the tips and tails aggressively for 6 inches?!?!

After Jeff's corrections, they are back to feeling new.
I'm sure I know the shop. I had a big fight about it years ago, about threw my skis at them.

CatskillSteve

Booting up
Skier
There's absolutely nothing wrong with detuned tips and Tails. I always recommend that to anyone I speak to and that's how I set my friends skis and families. Having hooky tips and Tails is dangerous. One set of my skis the edges are sharp only from 2 in front of the binding to directly under my heel. That ski is set up for very specific conditions and runs, think of the shoots at Big Sky, I don't need nor want to catch an edge that could end in catastrophe. I will also set a beginner with the same tune when teaching them how to engage and release their edges to initiate turns.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's absolutely nothing wrong with detuned tips and Tails. I always recommend that to anyone I speak to and that's how I set my friends skis and families. Having hooky tips and Tails is dangerous.

I understand that may be your preference on certain skis, but it isn't appropriate on a ski like the Titan. I want that tip to pull me eagerly into the turn as it was designed to do.

For me, I detune slightly only in front and back of the contact points on all my skis. Skis tuned in this manner have travelled enjoyably down the Dictator Chutes and Big C at Big Sky many a time over the decades.

As I've posted before, I've been skiing long enough that I can skid any ski anwhwere anytime! :beercheer:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I understand that may be your preference on certain skis, but it isn't appropriate on a ski like the Titan. I want that tip to pull me eagerly into the turn as it was designed to do.

For me, I detune slightly only in front and back of the contact points on all my skis. Skis tuned in this manner have travelled enjoyably down the Dictator Chutes and Big C at Big Sky many a time over the decades.

As I've posted before, I've been skiing long enough that I can skid any ski anwhwere anytime! :beercheer:
I suppose as a former tuner, I simply don't have enough experience or skill to be able to see changes in minute parameters. Even skis I'd be unreliable as far as feeling differences. Customer feedback would have to suffice for me.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I could feel that the edges weren't engaging and the tails were washing out the first trip down the hill. My edges are sharp to within 4 inches of the tip and an inch of the tail. I have a minutely larger base bevel above the front contact point, but the edge itself is sharp. They had detuned a foot from the tip and 6 inches from the tail. I have zero issues with hookiness the way I tune my skis. I now tell them not to even debur the skis, 'I'll finish up at home. But basically, I haven't taken a ski to a shop in 7 or 8 years. (This wasn't a one time problem. Multiple shops just have done whatever they want.)

I've been tuning my skis for 20 years. I know what I want.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My tech never lets me down either... because it's me..

I am seeing the makings of a Victorian novel - Flat Expectations

*shrug* if "good enough" flat includes longitudinal waves, twist-warp, one edge overground / base not parallel to topsheet (built in canting) then good enough, I guess?

Flatness is like mean sea level... the closer you look the less definite you can be about anything.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suppose as a former tuner, I simply don't have enough experience or skill to be able to see changes in minute parameters.

You would have felt this, as they were exactly as Sib describes below. My first time ever with an experience this bad.

They had detuned a foot from the tip and 6 inches from the tail.

I am seeing the makings of a Victorian novel - Flat Expectations

*shrug* if "good enough" flat includes longitudinal waves, twist-warp, one edge overground / base not parallel to topsheet (built in canting) then good enough, I guess?

Flatness is like mean sea level... the closer you look the less definite you can be about anything.

I guess I'm just a simple guy for a little mining town, because if the ptex part isn't showing any concave or other weirdness with a true bar, and I put "my" edges on them, I've always been totally happy. :ogbiggrin:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
For you folks out west you don't have to worry about such icy conditions or heavy man-made snow that is super aggressive and burns your bases. Invest in a $10 gummy Stone to keep them polished.

Dude....you have no idea some the crap people ski in the Cascades. Believe me, I'm from the upper midwest originally. We know crap and ice.

:roflmao:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Come on now, you know as well as I do it's no about being happy - it's about winning the tuning threads :D
1708613972323.png

Sponsor

Staff online