• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do ski shops actually get the edge angles right?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, show of hands, who has bought a specialty tool at least once in their life, then realized at some point that you already owned it?!
I have bought tools that I KNOW I already own, because it is faster and less frustrating to drive to the hardware store than to keep looking for it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Part of my problem is that my tools grow feet that look remarkably like my wife's. And I suddenly can't find the tools. It's strange. I may need critter cams to figure out what's happening...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Part of my problem is that my tools grow feet that look remarkably like my wife's. And I suddenly can't find the tools. It's strange. I may need critter cams to figure out what's happening...

*nods sagely*. raccoons man

not sure why they love VAR or housing cutters but...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Case in point. Screwdrivers are not paint can openers...
IMG_20240226_184055595.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Screwdrivers are not paint can openers...
Yeah, they're too commonly used for that and not precise enough. I prefer to use perfectly sharpened chisels and hit them with a hammer to open paint cans. More risk = more excitement! Sometimes I just drill a hole in the side, and try to get it to not roll and spill everything.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Home ski tuning equipment is relatively cheap compared to machine shop tooling.

The one thing I've learned in building my shop is you gotta pay to play. As you progress and advance the entry fee increases and so do the rewards.

All you have to learn is when to stop where the rewards no longer increase but the cost still increase.

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I have bought tools that I KNOW I already own, because it is faster and less frustrating to drive to the hardware store than to keep looking for it.
I've bought a tool I didn't remember I owned. Some years later realized I had two of them.

Sponsor

Staff online