• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Build your own diamond "puck" stones

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
The laser cutting can go quickly for scoring the backing. Scissors work, but they'll wear out fast:

Attachments

• IMG_3377.jpeg
    IMG_3377.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3378.jpeg
    IMG_3378.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 15

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The old can of 3M 20 Heavy Duty spooged the spray

That stuff is tenacious! I don't know the number of my 3M spray adhesive offhand, but I don't use it often. After each use, I pop the nozzle off, then put it on a can of brake cleaner and give it a quick squirt into the trash can to purge the adhesive from the nozzle. Works like a charm.

The 60x is a bad boy and liking that for aggressive cutting. The backing is tough and the laser cutting will take a bit.

For most of my tuning, I at least think that a 60 stone would darn near replace a file. At the very least, it would significantly lengthen the interval between "file tunes". Even with a 100 stone, I feel like I get 3 interim stone sharpenings between file events (which I hate).

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
That stuff is tenacious! I don't know the number of my 3M spray adhesive offhand, but I don't use it often. After each use, I pop the nozzle off, then put it on a can of brake cleaner and give it a quick squirt into the trash can to purge the adhesive from the nozzle. Works like a charm.

For most of my tuning, I at least think that a 60 stone would darn near replace a file. At the very least, it would significantly lengthen the interval between "file tunes". Even with a 100 stone, I feel like I get 3 interim stone sharpenings between file events (which I hate).
Good tip on the brake cleaner. Do you think any degreaser would do the same? I grabbed some 3M 90 at HD and have 3M 72 coming, along with carbon steel shears.

I think the 60x is much like the cutting of at least a fine file.

Backings are printed and hope to glue up a bunch of 80mm & 120mm diamond files today before corn harvesting this afternoon.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
KGS Diamond, the company that made the diamond sheets you bought from Toolcity also makes flexible diamond sheets with a self-adhesive (SA) backing, surely it would be better to use those rather than applying the adhesive yourself https://www.kgs.swiss/sitebeheer/product_pdf/Leaflet sheets catalogue page.pdf They have a US sales office which should be able to supply further details.

I sent an inquiry to KGS. We’ll see if they respond. IIRC, from what I found on their site when first searching, they have a couple different diamond paper types. The one you linked, I thought was a ‘less durable’ option than another one I I could not refund, so far.

James

Out There
Instructor
What do you guys have against files that you want to replace them with 60grit diamond for steel cutting?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you guys have against files that you want to replace them with 60grit diamond for steel cutting?
I use my 60 more for tuning the tips and tails. Easier and hits the steel and sidewall material just fine. I'm not needing to really remove lots of steel just making it nicer.

I just recently used the 60 to take the rust off all the edges before I used a file. That made the filing a little less messy too. It isn't a replacement, just another tool in your quiver.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing against files, but the 60 & 100 grit diamonds definitely blur the line between needing a 2nd cut or finer file....and possibly a bastard file that much. Including for setting edge geometry. Diamonds are smaller, easier, multi-directional & more user friendly than files, especially for those with limited experience.

As mentioned in another thread, I proceeded to file & deburr one pair of edges on my Atlases and used a 100x on the other pair to see how a 'rougher' edge felt on frozen and bullet proof snow. To my fingers and yesterday while skiing, I could not feel any meaningful difference on highly variable surfaces. Anything I felt, I wondered if it was more subjective than real differences.

YMMV, but I encourage others to do double-blind tests like this to make your own conclusions and decisions for you, where you ski, what kind of snow, type of skis, etc. Most years I rarely feel the absolute need for a file. Others, like this year, I still want the option available, but it may not be needed much at all with a 60x diamond. Time will tell.

The 60x also works for back filing and scraper sharpening.

Last edited:

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Almost ready for prime time. From an assembly time stand point, spray adhesive is comparable to PSA strips.
  • U-C 60 = Ultra Coarse for aggressive cutting, edge geometry, back filing/side wall cutting & scraper sharpening
  • X-C 120 = Extra Coarse for cutting, initial deburring and edge geometry
  • C 200 = Coarse for general/regular maintenance
  • M 400 = Medium for minor cutting and polishing
  • F 600 = Fine for polishing

IMG_3399.jpeg

The forth coming compact 2 & 3 degree tuners, side wall cutter & scraper sharpener work well with the 80mm diamonds.

IMG_3396.jpeg

Last edited:

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I need an intervention....:geek:

In the interest of replacing the old SkiVisions stone lapping & steel bar sharpening diamond AND addressing a side wall finishing option (or options w/multiple grits):

diamond_file1.gif
diamond_file2.gif

And a base repair material removal tool like a curved micro-plane (ie surform tool), here comes:

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 10.18.49 AM.png

There will be diamond paper on both the flat and on the curved sides.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I need an intervention....:geek:

In the interest of replacing the old SkiVisions stone lapping & steel bar sharpening diamond AND addressing a side wall finishing option (or options w/multiple grits):

View attachment 231314 View attachment 231315

And a base repair material removal tool like a curved micro-plane (ie surform tool), here comes:

View attachment 231316
Sounds interesting! Need to know more.
Anything to make base flattening an easier diy instead of getting a questionable grind would be good.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes I have one somewhere. I used to go at skis with it. I thought it was a better planer tool to the hss cutting bar.
The redesigned File Flattener tool offers the ability to use any file for high edge, base flattening (body file) and base repair clean up if preferred.

file_flat6_large.jpg

I also make a high edge bottom option that will fit any SkiVisions planer body (the original & the ones I make now.)

James

Out There
Instructor
What do you go at with it now>
It sits in a box somewhere. When I started to get reliable grinds, no need. But since Edgewise closed, there’s kind of a need. Skimd is too complicated to get to and deal with, plus well over $100.

The structure of SkiVisions is pretty primitive though.

Sponsor

Staff online