• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Build your own diamond "puck" stones

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I did 3 pairs last night with the aluminum disc. I like that weight. I also like doing my own skis vs others, since my bases and edges are not rusted or torched. No filing needed, just stones.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 2nd iteration.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1111899464/aluminum-circle-disc-pick-a-diameter $15 for six and they shipped 7.
plus
https://www.toolocity.com/2t-rex-electroplated-diamond-pads.aspx $22

I think I will like the aluminum disc vs the steel. Plus purchasing circle pads makes it really easy to glue to the discs.
Just ordered a set of discs and pads. Dwight, what glue did you use? Also, it looks like the diamond pads have t-rex velcro backing. Anyone try adding a hook backing pad to the disks for easy change of pad? Would that even work in this application?

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
'torched' = "totally blunted out of shape"?
Might be a little extreme. But, lots of rust, young kids skis. Skis that get put into the back of a pickup with no protection. Edge on edge nicks. :)

Cork7 Belly Flop

Booting up
Skier
For those of you who've done this:
- When do you use the 60/120 grit pucks?
- Where you able to find any diamond sheets in grits finer than 400?
- Is it possible to get the "wrong" kind of diamond sheet for this?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a 100 grit on an edge with rock damage.
Prior to the pucks I have been using Moonflex diamond stones and have up to a 600 grit.
I bought a 200. 400, and 800 grit from Zoro and still haven’t used the 800 grit.
2BCD1D1C-A5CC-47E6-8EBA-3D83BC66F024.png

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't use the 60 grit. I do use 120-400 when I retune.
Never tried looking. My electric edge grinder has a 400 grit, so I figured good enough by hand too. Though I do have a few diamond stick stones that are higher than 400.
The paper backed discs, seem to be all about the same.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Initial test shows promise. But then again, most, maybe all my skis don't need the sidewalls cut down yet. More fun in the next week.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ordered the 1/4 by 2 inch stainless steel discs but decided not to use them because, at least from the supplier I used, they were cut from a stainless steel rod and so they rusted at the edges where they were cut-right from the supplier. I am always dipping my diamond stones into a water/alcohol/soap solution to lubricate and cool the stones, so they last longer-the rust would be a no-go. I saw that @Dwight used aluminum discs, and I almost ordered those, but then I thought why not use stiff plastic discs. So I ordered 1/8-inch acrylic discs-I like the thinner 1/8 backing better. They are stiff, and the fact that they are clear I can see the grit level of the diamond sheet printed on them. I've got 120, 200, and 400 grit pucks now.

1672352962654.png

1672353116973.jpeg

1672353149299.jpeg

1672353167782.jpeg

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Dwight and @Scruffy - thanks for "keeping the dream alive"... ;)

I'm really impressed with the improvements you guys developed and the better supplies you found. When it comes time to refresh my stuff I know how to make the new and improved version. Thanks.

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dwight and @Scruffy - thanks for "keeping the dream alive"... ;)

I'm really impressed with the improvements you guys developed and the better supplies you found. When it comes time to refresh my stuff I know how to make the new and improved version. Thanks.
I tune just under 200 pairs a year. Making it easier and less expensive is fun for me. My diamond circles are going strong. Plus I have some background in woodworking and machining and HATE seeing over priced "ski" tools.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I tune just under 200 pairs a year. Making it easier and less expensive is fun for me. My diamond circles are going strong. Plus I have some background in woodworking and machining and HATE seeing over priced "ski" tools.
Business opportunity.

Sponsor

Staff online