• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another top sheet repair query: close encounter with a snowboarder.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a close encounter of the third kind with a snowboarder. Her board clipped my tail. Not sure who was at fault, or uphill of whom, or when. Neither one of us was going fast. Neither one hurt. She fell forward uphill, I didn't fall. No harm, no foul. I was/am truly mystified. We were clearly riding and skiing in parallel universes that collided, literally. I do think that the different trajectories of skis vs. boards presents a challenge to the skiers code. Red vs. gray notwithstanding.
Anyhoo . . . .

We waved each other on, but next day I discovered this. Must this be repaired? I have no tools . . . . I could attempt to simply seal it with some epoxy? Marine? How bout some nail polish . . . Hard as Nails? Revlon? Essi? or whatever the hive recommends. Or do I take this to a professional to seal, rebuild, etc etc.
I have a "tools, not jewels" philosophy, but I don't want to shorten the life the skis by ignoring this.
Please advise.

IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They weren't that way when you bought them ;) Sorry.

TS
DebbieSue

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They weren't that way when you bought them ;) Sorry.
That's the truth, for sure! It's on me. Just wondering what to do going forward.
Other than giving snowboarders a really wide berth . . . and I mean really wide. I'm amazed that this happened.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Let's be completely honest, you can also leave that as is and absolutely nothing will happen to the skis. They'll be just fine and last just as long. The next pair of skis that I see broken because of a chipped topsheet will be the FIRST pair I've seen. Skis I've seen ruined by moisture getting in around binding screws? Plenty.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Let's be completely honest, you can also leave that as is and absolutely nothing will happen to the skis. They'll be just fine and last just as long. The next pair of skis that I see broken because of a chipped topsheet will be the FIRST pair I've seen. Skis I've seen ruined by moisture getting in around binding screws? Plenty.

I'm not so sure. Looking at the picture, it looks like moisture could easily infiltrate the core layers. Potential delam ahead...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

The longer cure time epoxy will last longer and be less brittle, but the 5min would probably last the lifetime too.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is this a common thing with Factions? I picked up a pair of new-to-me Dictators on a whim a few weeks back, and the edges have several dings in the topsheet. I asked the shop guy at Wachusett when I was getting them a quick tune and he said to just dab some wood glue on there if I was concerned. I've seen people suggest epoxy, but never just wood glue.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Is this a common thing with Factions? I picked up a pair of new-to-me Dictators on a whim a few weeks back, and the edges have several dings in the topsheet. I asked the shop guy at Wachusett when I was getting them a quick tune and he said to just dab some wood glue on there if I was concerned. I've seen people suggest epoxy, but never just wood glue.

Skis with topsheets like the Factions (and older Fischers) can avoid a lot of the chipping issues if you shape the topsheet. You take a typical 12" mill bastard file at a 45* angle to the corner of the topsheet and just round it over a bit. The goal is to reduce the sharp edge that can catch on the other ski edges (or other things). My Fischers still are completely unchipped because I pay attention to the topsheet condition after I use them and clean-up any potential catches.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Tools not jewels. I accept that topsheets will get chipped (often from my own incompetence at slamming tips or tails together). Dab epoxy when you get concerned.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Two years ago on a busy holiday my kid and I were standing at the end of the lint like about 5 feet past the corral ropes and some snowboarder came in hot, sliding in feet first and sheered off my kid's pole below the basket. Also took the kid's legs out and pinballed in to a couple other people standing there. That pole gave it's life and died a hero. Would have been far worse if he hadn't planted his poles to block the incoming Bro Bomb

Take a file to the jagged parts, goop some epoxy there, let it dry for 12 hours and go skiing.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I would use epoxy and put some tape along the sidewall to make a 'dam' to hold the epoxy until it sets. I will illustrate at a time when I am in my office/ski room.
PXL_20240315_221333128.jpg

Fill the nicks on the topsheet edge leaving the ski with the bases down so the epoxy floods the nicks. You can preheat the two parts of the epoxy to 150° F or so by putting it in a warm spot. This will help the epoxy flow if it is thick when room temperature. You can heat it after applying to the ski if you prefer. I use a task light above the repair with an incandescent bulb.

Once the epoxy is cured, you can file/sand it down to match the ski's original contour.

Sponsor

Staff online