• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2023-2024 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
one takes what they can!

14yr old kid at Sundown told me that the "layer" did add a little touch to the groomed pack. I guess he lives by half full type of glass optimist
The hill probably got a strong 1/2". It is amazing what a little fresh snow will do when it is groomed and temps stay low.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordic was great Friday night, but was not able to go out yesterday. Going this afternoon after son is done with robotics. Hope it’s not our last time, but you can bet we’ll have fun regardless.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
They do plan on being open until March 17th weekend. Cross fingers that it works out.

I love when the FB weather chasers are more accurate than tv weathermen. They called this frigid Wed over a week ago and everyone gave them grief. :) There still is snow in the forecast for Wed too, so might get lucky with an 1-3". After that, it will be hard go for the hills.

1708963590987.png

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hoping they make it. I was very pleasantly surprised yesterday. We couldn't go until later afternoon. Truck said 54, figured it was going to be some skied up slush and slop. It wasn't really. It was soft, but not overly so at all. Skied pretty well, and as usual, we had a blast.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This is going to weather watchers dream. Probably make record number 2 for Wisconsin. 2 tornadoes in Feb. The Wis/Il border is the problem spot.
1708977282698.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sundown's last day is this Sunday, Chestnut I believe too.

noted relentless temps and related weather (rain)

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Grabbed a parking shot of Sundown this past Sunday. Did I miss out by not taking a couple of ski laps in Iowa?
IMG_4008.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Grabbed a parking shot of Sundown this past Sunday. Did I miss out by not taking a couple of ski laps in Iowa?

well, I thought it was pretty nice for a Midwest day. Things were softened up just right by 11ish and remained pretty consistent into mid afternoon when I headed home.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chestnut working the slopes now ...

2024-02-28_17-22-32_Chestnut.jpg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is this season the worst ever? I've been skiing the Midwest since the 80's and I can't recall a worse year. Don't get me wrong, I still had fun. But seeing major Midwest ski areas close all the way up in the UP, the first weekend of March, that's unreal.

One interesting observation is the impact of snow making. Just about every area still open invest heavily in snow making with many still 100% open. Good to keep in mind for low snow years. Also good to keep in mind to avoid when natural snow is abundant (better natural snow quality)

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes to worst ever. And many of those with snowmaking still ended their season by now so that only helped some.

It's pouring rain in Chicago. We've had a lot of rain and T Storms the past few seasons in the winter, I think I've used my snowblower 3 times in three winters. Usually several inches of wet slop when it does actually snow.

Minimal lake effect snow this winter and minimal ice on the great lakes.

Bugs are already out and weeds are coming soon.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
our local hill is open this weekend 10-5 only and will be the last one. I try not to think about it.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
our local hill is open this weekend 10-5 only and will be the last one. I try not to think about it.
They will have a lot of work to do to make it.
Pro: Nights will be below freezing
Con: Friday is supposed to rain most of the day. :( And maybe turn to snow. :)

See you there on Sat going over the skim pond or at least I'll be on the deck.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Our local area made snow on Wednesday night last week, it got them through the spring "slush cup" event on Saturday but most of us thought that would be about the end of it. They were open Sunday, then shut down on Monday and Tuesday with the intent on opening again on Wednesday (tomorrow).

Yeah, right... it was 70 degrees yesterday. It's pouring rain today. IMHO it's over, they just haven't called it yet.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They will have a lot of work to do to make it.
Pro: Nights will be below freezing
Con: Friday is supposed to rain most of the day. :( And maybe turn to snow. :)

See you there on Sat going over the skim pond or at least I'll be on the deck.
I was wondering if they'd even make it. I might show up just to spend some money and thank them for the year

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is arguably the worst collective winter we have had in the 35+ years I have been skiing.
Top to bottom.

2011-2012 was pretty bad, marked with a lot of freeze thaw cycles, then a 70-80 degree heat wave 2nd week of March that melted everyone out
1997-1998 was also pretty lackluster but I don't remember ski season really ending early

Other than than 2012 & and the 2020 covid year, I have skied the end of March and into April at Nubs or Boyne Mt.

The biggest difference this year was that it was pretty much bad top to bottom. Other than a 2-3 week period in January, it was marked by big warm-ups, thaw, and rain cycles. The ski areas has lousy conditions for their big money Christmas-New Years weeks, but at least had decent conditions for MLK & Presidents weekend big money days.

At this point with all the warmth, the average person is in full on spring mode, so ski season is over and there is little incentive for any of the ski areas/resorts to even bother to try to stay open. Most are just trying to make through their spring party day/weekend carnival weekends and then packing it in for the season. They are cutting their losses and this point even if they may have enough snow to limp out another weekend or two in March.

In Northern Michigan, we are essentially down to two more weekends. All of the downstate places made to last weekend but recent round of 70 degree temps in thunderstorms did them in.

Up North:
Shanty Creek - Sat 3/9
Highlands - Sun 3/17
Nubs Nob -TBD - but at least through 3/17
Crystal Mt - TBD
Boyne Mt. - TBD

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were at Shanty Creek Sunday and overheard a couple of workers talking about the next two weekends. From what we saw, they might be able to eke out their Slush Cup this coming weekend, but I have no idea how they’ll get to St. Patrick's Day.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah they just made the decision today to pull the plug after Slush Cup on Saturday 3/9.
Edit - Nubs just indicated they will definitely be open through 3/17 but will try to make it as long as they can up until 3/31

Boyne Mt will probably try to make it as long as they can on Hemlock and Victor.

Somehow I am tracking the same number of days YTD as last season, but quality is way down.
Glad I booked another CO trip in early-April.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online