• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2023-2024 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The snow last night is perfect for the metro hills and the XC world Cup this weekend. Six inches of dense snow will give some life...

Yean this stuff will pack down nicely for base improvement.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
snow making .. cold enough at Chestnut , feeling better

chestnut 2-16-2024 live 7-30pm.jpg

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Anyone skied Spirit Mountain recently? Will be driving through Duluth tomorrow and figured we might stop for a bit. Wondering how the snow was holding up.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone skied Spirit Mountain recently? Will be driving through Duluth tomorrow and figured we might stop for a bit. Wondering how the snow was holding up.
I often rely on live cams, or kids to check social media streams

only one cam .

Looks like it's just off I35, so one can consider dropping in and just leaving it if looks a bit iffy

Reactions: ejj
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was a great day at Nordic. Snow making all week.
20240218_111016_HDR.jpg

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I often rely on live cams, or kids to check social media streams

only one cam .

Looks like it's just off I35, so one can consider dropping in and just leaving it if looks a bit iffy
Thanks!

Yes--it's 2 minutes off the I35. Wildly convenient actually. It was a great day--we ended up skiing more thank expected. Snow skied much better than expected, lift lines were relatively short. I'd recommend to anyone this spring. But bring your own food, the cafeteria is weak with few offerings.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was a great day at Nordic. Snow making all week.
View attachment 226028
Was there Saturday night and it was great. Most people had left by evening, no waiting, pretty fast snow, great conditions overall. But what the fuzz is with this forecast? Fri and Sat should be good after it cools down again, but way too many 50 degree days in the 10 day, some flirting with 60?

I don't know how we're even having a season. Well I do know, lots of money sprayed on the hill and a lot of work by good people to give us really very good ski conditions in a very poor ski weather season. I am grateful, but i'm not sure how much longer they can extend this?

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Was there Saturday night and it was great. Most people had left by evening, no waiting, pretty fast snow, great conditions overall. But what the fuzz is with this forecast? Fri and Sat should be good after it cools down again, but way too many 50 degree days in the 10 day, some flirting with 60?

I don't know how we're even having a season. Well I do know, lots of money sprayed on the hill and a lot of work by good people to give us really very good ski conditions in a very poor ski weather season. I am grateful, but i'm not sure how much longer they can extend this?
It will be tough. I know there will be no more making snow.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last night of beer league racing last night at Trollhaugen. Great fast snow actually. If your edges were sharp, conditions were great. ha!

They are still saying they'll make it into March, and even have some park contests scheduled 9-10 days into the month, but I'm iffy. They did get 5" last week and made a bunch of snow to fill in holes where they needed it, but I'm thinking they'll be running low on snow again here by the end of next week.

Tom_H

Booting up
Skier
The saving grace here is that it's still cooling off decently at night, so I know Wild won't have any issue making March. They've got their banked slalom on March 9th, but they moved it to a hill that they hit with about 6 fan guns for two straight days last week to up the base (probably also needed the base there for the pond skim). I think the first week of March is going to hurt them bad though - and would bet a few of the runs start getting too thin to keep open.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looking like an early end to a historically bad ski season in these parts. Time to book a trip out west if you haven't already.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
This season reminds me a lot of 2011-2012 in the Midwest.
Late / slow start, a lot of freeze/thaw cycles in Jan & Feb, I was biking in Feb.
One big wet heavy snowfall first week of March, followed by 3-4 weeks of 70-80 degree heat.
Most places melted out in less than a week and were losing a foot of base per day during the heat wave.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dang,

no pics but Sundown Dubuque was really nice today. Got there just as temps were moving over 31 .. softened up just perfectly.

talked to handfuls of folks... being by myself.

I did note that a few didn't know that Chestnut was on the IndyPass.

maybe Chestnut tomorrow

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online