• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2023-2024 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
New season around the corner and I know there have been a lot of updates to ski areas. Hoping all the updates are on schedule.

Some of them, but not all.

Snowriver new high speed.
Trollhaugen new triple
Wild Mountain new Quad
Lutsen new high speed 6
Boyne new lifts

My "local" ski retailer, Zellers in Green Bay has already sold out some new ski lines. That seems way early. Heck, they usually don't have any skis displayed quite yet. I do hope to get a new pair of Atomic BOA 120/130 Hawx this fall and try out their new custom foot beds by BootDoc.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hoping 2023/24 is a good one.

My kid is thinking about applying to teach at Tyrol Basin. Her work is 15 min away and she's pretty good at teaching, got to get her to the PSIA site for basic tests.

I picked up the Indy pass and looking forward to using it for a few new localities

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Teaching treated my kids very well. Great experience and great life lessons.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Wilmot picked up a hand me down winch cat from Breck. Hoping there’s enough snow for them to make decent use of it this coming season.

Charlie

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
New season around the corner and I know there have been a lot of updates to ski areas. Hoping all the updates are on schedule.

Some of them, but not all.

Snowriver new high speed.
Trollhaugen new triple
Wild Mountain new Quad
Lutsen new high speed 6
Boyne new lifts

My "local" ski retailer, Zellers in Green Bay has already sold out some new ski lines. That seems way early. Heck, they usually don't have any skis displayed quite yet. I do hope to get a new pair of Atomic BOA 120/130 Hawx this fall and try out their new custom foot beds by BootDoc.
Trollhaugen is getting a quad

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wilmot picked up a hand me down winch cat from Breck. Hoping there’s enough snow for them to make decent use of it this coming season.
durn,

hoped Wilmot was on the Indy pass, but not.

oh well, hopefully I can meet up with my BIL for a day of practice turns

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yoo hooo ... Indy is on this one, I really hope to make the time to hit a few Wi hills!

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Hope to ski with some of you this year! Nub's is replacing a lift. Also, I made it up to Bohemia a few weeks ago and, with the help of the nordic spa, convinced my wife to trek up there with me this winter! Her: I could do this all day, no problem"

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Granite Peak Ski Swap Oct 7

Zellers in Green Bay Oct 27-29

Shepherd and Schaller Dungeon sale in Wausau Oct 23-30th (based on previous years)

Last edited:

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

Correct. Initially they were going to get a triple lift over there, but then changed their minds and went with a quad. I think basically they had such a good year financially that they just went with the bigger (and likely more expensive) lift.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
On this date last year Trollhaugen opened a full run top to bottom to be the first open in the country. This year they just came out with a message hinting that any temps that would allow snowmaking to start happening are several weeks away. I'm thinking we could have a late start to the season this year in the Midwest with this strong El nino.

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
Thinking about signing my 15 y.o. son up for one of the ski racing programs at locals hills in the Twin Cities area this season. He has no prior experience in ski racing and he isn't interested in becoming a ski racer in terms of competing in high school or anything like that. But he thought it sounded fun and I thought it might be a good way to improve his carving/turning technique as a way to progress in his free skiing adventures out west which is his main skiing pursuit. Wondered if folks here have any sage advice on whether this sounds like a good/bad/stupid idea in general, and if you have any recos on particular ski hills/programs that might be best suited for a relatively strong skier with no previous racing experience. For example, maybe Buck wouldn't be right for him since my perception is they are mostly focused on finding the next Lindsey Vonn and there's zero chance of my son donning a speed suit:)? Thoughts?

Sponsor

Staff online