• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023-2024 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, question time - we have Thurs/Fri/Sat to ski. Places in play are Santa Fe, Sipapu, Pajarito. Is Santa Fe super busy to do on Saturday? And does anyone know if the roads to the others are anything to be concerned about? We're planning on day trips from ABQ - will save Taos for a longer visit.
Santa Fe will likely be insane on Saturday and maybe Friday too. It’s the beginning of Texas spring break. I was up there today and the patrollers are all dreading the Saturday to next Sunday week+ because of the expected crowds. I’ve had too much experience with spring break at SSF, so I’m going out to the desert next week to camp and kick around Ancestral Puebloan sites to avoid the spring break stuff.

The roads to Sipapu and Pajarito should be fine, The road up to Santa Fe will likely be dry, but crowded, really crowded. A small storm system is expected on Friday, but not much snow accumulation is expected…if you believe weather forecasters. ;)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@pais alto is Right. The combination of 1) weekend 2) spring break and 3) the first new snow in recent memory is sure to make SSF a total zoo. I was there today and it was pretty much empty but that will change tomorrow.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Santa Fe will likely be insane on Saturday and maybe Friday too. It’s the beginning of Texas spring break.
So, is the Texas spring break invasion pretty much over by Monday March 18? Thanks!

I'd like to get in a week at Taos and a day at Santa Fe before their seasons' close, as long as a bit more snow hits New Mexico. But want to avoid TX spring break crowds.

Recent snowfall in Colorado has brought nice conditions to the Breck alpine and to Vail back bowls. So, I'll stay local if conditions and crowds in NM get bad.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
if conditions and crowds in NM get bad.

During spring break week, Taos is only crowded when compared to non spring break week. Usually few minutes in the morning and ski on after lunch.

The usage of the word "crowded" is all relative. Nothing like Vail resorts in CO.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
During spring break week, Taos is only crowded when compared to non spring break week. Usually few minutes in the morning and ski on after lunch.

The usage of the word "crowded" is all relative. Nothing like Vail resorts in CO.

Thanks!

I've never had much of a wait at Taos #1 or #4, even during powder periods , 'cause I start mostly later in the morning.

In my own experience, long lift lines at Epic or Ikon resorts in Colorado are primarily on Saturdays and during the Xmas holiday week. I avoid skiing those periods! Once the high alpine bowls open and you can get away from base area runs, I typically find the people density to be pretty low and the lift line waits to be pretty short at my home mountain (Breck). Of course, YMMV...and a deep powder storm can make for exceptions.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
15" 24 hours as of yesterday morning. It was wet snow and stuck to everything. Really nice. OpenSnow says another round of snow Wednesday through Sunday. Not a lot but enough to refresh surface conditions.

I skied yesterday but I waited until 1:30 to do so. I am very glad I didn't try to go up in the morning!

Cars were parked just passed the windsock at the Vista Grande Overlook over a mile away. But I got a space at the foot of the steps because folks had left. Slopes not crowded at that time and I only waited in a line once. And that was for less than 10 chairs. By 2pm everyone is in Totemoff's drinking or on the way home.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
if anyone needs some good office entertainment go to Angel Fire's cams and check out the Chile Unload. Never seen so many people fall of the lifts. :rolleyes:

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
if anyone needs some good office entertainment go to Angel Fire's cams and check out the Chile Unload. Never seen so many people fall of the lifts. :rolleyes:

"Want your skis? Go get 'em!"

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Texas spring breakers left today. I went up at noon and mostly skied onto the lifts until closing at 4:30. Snow was wet but loads of fun. Groomers were a bit firm from compacted wet snow but fast and edgeable. Everything else was soft and forgiving. Not hero snow by any means but much friendlier than 7 inches of warm wet snow would have suggested.

Best part were the clouds and the views. Weather wend from dark and moody to foggy to snowy to bright Bluebird patches with scudding cumulus.

20240316_170943.jpg

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, what should we be expecting for the upcoming week, weather-wise? Gotta pack tomorrow!

We're planning to ski Santa Fe on Thursday, then Pajarito on Friday and Sipapu on Saturday. Spent today helping a friend, so I haven’t checked forecasts or anything yet.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Windy and warm according to OpenSnow in Santa Fe on Thursday. We are expecting snow tomorrow through Wednesday but just a little each day. Unless it gets good and cold, expect it to be packed down.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Windy and warm according to OpenSnow in Santa Fe on Thursday. We are expecting snow tomorrow through Wednesday but just a little each day. Unless it gets good and cold, expect it to be packed down.
Thanks. OpenSnow is safe to rely on, then? And for driving purposes, does the little bit of snow each day mean road will be ok, or does that just refresh the dicey-ness of driving? We’re used to winter driving, but we’re not used to twisty, mountainous roads.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski Santa Fe day tomorrow! Don’t know if anyone will be around, but if you are and see us, say hi. I’m in middle and will be in the same pants for sure, and likely the same jacket, even if I’m a bit warm, because that's the one I have with me. There’s a chance I’ll be in a plain black one, but I don’t really think so.

Resized_Resized_20230315_150716.jpeg

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm considering driving up on Sunday to AZSB. Weather.gov is reporting very windy from the southwest 40 mph plus.

Is this the recipe for wind hold?

1711165963954.png

Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm considering driving up on Sunday to AZSB. Weather.gov is reporting very windy from the southwest 40 mph plus.

Is this the recipe for wind hold?

View attachment 230671
Yeah, high likelihood the gondola won't be running but I bet GCX will be. I am going to try to get up there. Hit me up if you go and want to link up for a bit.

TS
teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
AZSB: 13" new reported, no lines visible from the webcam, Gondola is running... don't know how windy it is but it seems it was a good choice if you went up today.

Sponsor

Staff online