• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023-2024 Four Corners Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So my mom lives in ABQ and we’re considering a visit and would like to ski while we’re there, too. We've only got the Indy Pass, which would mean Ski Apache, but we're not limiting ourselves to just the pass. But we'd likely just do a couple of day trips, so no Taos. We’re used to driving a couple of hours to ski anyway, so it looks like Pajarito, Santa Fe, and Sipapu are within range. And of course Sandia is just the other side of the mountain, too. But I know nothing about any of them. So, any recs? Better snow this year in any particular place? We’d be coming in mid March.
Santa Fe has the most interesting terrain of those four, and is the closest to ABQ, about 1.5 hours. Pajarito is probably just under 2 hours from ABQ, and Sipapu is over 2 hours. Taos is about 3.

Santa Fe has the best/most snow, I guess, and the most to do in terms of attractions and dining.

Sandia just reopened after a couple years closed and doesn’t have much challenging terrain, but taking the tram up from town is fun. Check to see if the snow there is okay.

One thing to note is that Texas‘ schools spring break is like 3/9 to 3/17 this year, and Santa Fe (and Taos) tend to get a lot of people there then. It can get pretty crowded and parking at Santa Fe can be a problem, so heads up on that. Plan to get there pretty early.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Santa Fe has the most interesting terrain of those four, and is the closest to ABQ, about 1.5 hours. Pajarito is probably just under 2 hours from ABQ, and Sipapu is over 2 hours. Taos is about 3.

Santa Fe has the best/most snow, I guess, and the most to do in terms of attractions and dining.

Sandia just reopened after a couple years closed and doesn’t have much challenging terrain, but taking the tram up from town is fun. Check to see if the snow there is okay.

One thing to note is that Texas‘ schools spring break is like 3/9 to 3/17 this year, and Santa Fe (and Taos) tend to get a lot of people there then. It can get pretty crowded and parking at Santa Fe can be a problem, so heads up on that. Plan to get there pretty early.
Thx for the heads up.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, we’re headed south! Fly to ABQ on the 19th and back on the 25th! Hope there's snow somewhere By the time we get there, otherwise we’ll just have taken our stuff on a lovely trip to visit my mom and aunt.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, we’re headed south! Fly to ABQ on the 19th and back on the 25th! Hope there's snow somewhere By the time we get there, otherwise we’ll just have taken our stuff on a lovely trip to visit my mom and aunt.
Ski Santa Fe will definitely be open.

Bring sunscreen.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking at going to Mt. Lemmon on Friday or Monday. Go big or go home!

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Here's a good article about the reopening of Sandia Peak with operational plans for next year.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Quick question - what’s the road up to Ski Santa Fe like? We’ll have my mom's small SUV, but I’m certain she has nothing but whatever normal tires came on it.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick question - what’s the road up to Ski Santa Fe like? We’ll have my mom's small SUV, but I’m certain she has nothing but whatever normal tires came on it.
It’s pretty curvy (I once counted over 150 curves in the 15 miles) and a little steep in places. If it‘s been snowing recently you’ll want AWD/4wd, and if it’s snowing fairly hard when you drive up (or down) you‘ll probably want appropriate tires.

If it hasn’t snowed in a couple days, it’s usually no problem. But traffic can be crowded on weekends.

If you’re on Facebook, there’s a public group called Santa Fe Ski Area where you can usually get pretty good beta on the road condition. Or ask me. :ogbiggrin: I live a little up from the bottom of the road.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is the Blue Bus if you don't feel comfortable driving. $5 but you get a $5 voucher for use on the mountain for food and such.

As @pais alto mentioned, if it hasn't snowed in a few days, no problem. If it is snowing or snowed overnight, it can be a bit tricky, especially coming down. We are a poor state and although they are good about plowing, it doesn't happen as quickly or as often as say Denver.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is the Blue Bus if you don't feel comfortable driving. $5 but you get a $5 voucher for use on the mountain for food and such.

As @pais alto mentioned, if it hasn't snowed in a few days, no problem. If it is snowing or snowed overnight, it can be a bit tricky, especially coming down. We are a poor state and although they are good about plowing, it doesn't happen as quickly or as often as say Denver.
I like that idea, too. We're comfortable driving lots of places but sometimes it's just nice to be taken care of. And since it's my mom's vehicle I want to make sure we’re not stupid with it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw this article on wolf creek printed in the Santa Fe New Mexican with a quote from @Olesya C
The author was at the last gathering in big sky.

Also mois
The author is a member here.

I subscribed to NYT for a long time but was getting "over subscribed" to a variety of things and cut some out a little over a year ago in the interest of saving $$.

I'm tempted to add NYT back so I can read articles like this.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, question time - we have Thurs/Fri/Sat to ski. Places in play are Santa Fe, Sipapu, Pajarito. Is Santa Fe super busy to do on Saturday? And does anyone know if the roads to the others are anything to be concerned about? We're planning on day trips from ABQ - will save Taos for a longer visit.

Sponsor

Staff online