• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Today was pretty amazing at Loveland, but what I want to know is -

Okay, I was literally the first person through the gate. And then I fell after 5 turns. So I am just curious - how many puggers skied past me? I have to think there were a few in the horde at the entrance.

Love got the goods and is getting more tonight from the looks of it. There is probably gonna be plenty of rope drops tomorrow.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Sadly, I'll be in Longmont tomorrow and Christmas day. The things we do for love ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh, hey, this morning:

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Today was pretty amazing at Loveland, but what I want to know is -

Okay, I was literally the first person through the gate. And then I fell after 5 turns. So I am just curious - how many puggers skied past me? I have to think there were a few in the horde at the entrance.

We missed the rope drop by about 5 mins. I fell, too - I was looking around whether to go straight under the lift or to the left, and hit a depression I wasn’t expecting. But we probably aren’t that recognizable getting out of a pit.

Today was pretty amazing. My iPhone has become allergic to cold and shut off when I tried to get a pic after pitting, but here’s some from the day. Luv that Loveland soft dense chop - just got better as the day went on.

In the morning off 6.

42CBED1A-4DD8-4BD5-A811-8B40F1BFE001.jpeg

The only girl.

2AEFD984-EEDF-45F2-BB77-DC40AFE5BC4E.jpeg

All four of the heirs.

A41FF108-27EC-4899-BB63-2382F334E47A.jpeg

Crowds.

9A91DF44-88A0-45D0-9EE4-D4CA7034A80A.jpeg

Hut 1.

4523BD90-6BDE-4141-9725-07C61726AFDA.jpeg

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Everyone should go to Breck and Vail. Waaaaay better skiing. Loveland is cold and flat.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
A ski patroller in chatting with ms. nay in the Chair 1 hut said it perfectly, in the midst of saying why he’s found home at Loveland after skiing and working at many other mountains.

“We have far more chair capacity than we have parking.”

That’s a permanent state, accentuated by all the people who park at Loveland but don’t ski.

Two other things we’ve heard recently:

Chair one is going to be replaced by a high speed.

Chair 10 is in the works. Location unspecified, but rumored to enable connection between 8 & 9.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Chair 10 is in the works. Location unspecified, but rumored to enable connection between 8 & 9.

Location is specified in their 10 year master plan. From the basin slightly behind 8, up Field of Dreams/Marmot to the top of the Ridge. Would effectively do away with the cat. I imagine it would run even less often than 9, but would be awesome terrain. And yes -- you'd be able to take lift from top of 8, ski down Velvet hammer or even the cat track over to Rookie Road, and end up at 9.

Chatting with patrollers yesterday it sounded like the Chair 1 going to HSQ was more about Chair 1 needing to be replaced in general rather than the need for a HSQ. Personally, I'd prefer it to stay a fixed grip. A HSQ serving Abowl-Zoom will have me exhausted before 11am.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Will be skiing Loveland on Jan 17 & 18. It was planned as just a stop over on the way to MT but I'm getting more enthusiastic about it lately.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Will be skiing Loveland on Jan 17 & 18. It was planned as just a stop over on the way to MT but I'm getting more enthusiastic about it lately.
For good reason.
Loveland sucks.
Pass it on.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Speaking of how much Loveland sucks, what's the "early bird" cost of a season pass?

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm thinking about heading up to Loveland tomorrow, will be the first time skiing this year and also at Loveland. Do I need rock skis for the runs that are opened, or is everything that's opened legit covered? I assumed it's the latter, but want to double check rather than going back to the car.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm thinking about heading up to Loveland tomorrow, will be the first time skiing this year and also at Loveland. Do I need rock skis for the runs that are opened, or is everything that's opened legit covered? I assumed it's the latter, but want to double check rather than going back to the car.

Yeah. The stuff that started with a manmade base is safe; anything that has been groomed, even if it's soft now. The lines right under the lift are in "it would be a miracle if you didn't hit a rock" territory, with fresh snow only masking what was pretty obvious yesterday.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
okay thank you both @Monique and @BGreen. I'm going strictly rock skis tomorrow.

Are there any bumps to ski?

Yes, although I'm sure they're pretty soft by now. I heard good things about Nix Nox Friday. I only skied through the top part (Waterfall?) on the way to the alluring "Thin cover" signs.

Sponsor