• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

100-105mm ski choices... Yikes.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I know this is outside the one oh parameters but…

Again, I’m your size. I ski race skis and racy skis (mx83/mx98s) a lot. I have several “banana” skis (billys, protests, wailers)
On Powder days, especially it it is light, you’ll usually find me in the trees at Alta or PM.
The skis I grab more than half the time for powder days are Pescados. Traditional/directional mount point, light weight, and they carve arc to arc on soft groomers better than you would imagine. I’ve never bought a ”backup“ pair of skis before, I have three pairs of Pescados.

silverback

Skier
Just to mess with the stats. :cool:

AEDDD440-E160-4CF4-822A-640FA6E678FC.jpeg

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have skied both the 9 and 10- never got on any 11's. Did not like the 9's at all- to me they actually felt sluggish- nothing exciting. My first time on the 10 was in 2018 at Copper- immediately feel in love with these skis. I skied the 180. Then in 2020 I was trying to find another pair to demo and couldn't find any at Stratton- that's when I skied the 9's. That trip I skied a pair of K2 Mindbender 99's in 184. They were very solid under foot, could carve nicely and could ski them in some cut-up bumps, but still not the ski I wanted. Ended up getting the 10's from @SkiEssentials. After talking to Jeff about skiing the K2 in 184- he suggested that I get the 10's in 188. With the amount of rocker in these skis, they actually do ski on the short side. So for reference I'm 6' 170-175. Very solid advanced skier- love to go fast, ski bumps, and play in the trees. In 188, the 10's are a perfect fit for my skiing. @Ken_R hits the nail on the head on his points regarding the ski. I would agree that the 180's would be better in tighter terrain, but that is no reason to get them, especially at your height/weight- grab the 188's.

Just a FYI- the 180 is 102mm underfoot and the 188 is 104mm.
Exactly what I was looking for; thank you!

Binding suggestions if any? I was looking at Skiessentials also since I have a pretty handsome loyalty coupon to use as well.

I am tempted to put pivots on them, but they have a really good price when they package it by adding the attack2 14 GW bindings.

Last edited:

silverback

Skier
Exactly what I was looking for; thank you!

Binding suggestions if any? I was looking at Skiessentials also since I have a pretty handsome loyalty coupon to use as well.

I am tempted to put pivots on them, but they have a really good price when they package it by adding the attack2 14 GW bindings.
I’ve made that call and regretted it later. Amortize the upcharge for the bindings you want over the life of the skis and you are probably talking $1/day or less. YMMV

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
love my Stockli's have a bunch of them. Ski pretty well and dabble in the gates.

Just add to the Stockli quiver, and don't look back!

Last year's Ski Essentials video on skis of that ilk made me think an SR10x would suit any semi-charging, directional skier.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Here are two VWK videos. first one powder at Jackson hole the second one a groomer ar Blackcomb with my young daughters.

I am probably reading into it but the Jackson video just feels like you're trying hard to slash and slarve.

Just add to the Stockli quiver, and don't look back!

Last year's Ski Essentials video on skis of that ilk

You've been a K2 guy in the past, anything there for OP?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I am probably reading into it but the Jackson video just feels like you're trying hard to slash and slarve.

You've been a K2 guy in the past, anything there for OP?

Yep.. I was thinking that guy needs some JJ's.

(Or Rustlers)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Welcome @Audioguy to SkiTalk! Any chance you are part of Whitby Audio Video as I worked at London Audio for 17 years till 2008 when I started car detailing full time. Knew that place had a solid reputation even back then.

I'm 5 11 165 lbs, ski well, love powder in the trees, fast GS groomers
Yes, the unicorn ski exists and currently have 9 pairs of various widths at my house right now in Ontario……evil laugh………

I know you mentioned you don’t ski backwards, do park or skid your turns but tail splay in wider skis is definitely not only for that reason. Tail splay will allow for much easier pivoting in trees or off trail but if designed properly, will still have a very long effective edge when fully tipped over on edge.

Have been on all the skis mentioned in this thread but none will have the dampness, stability at speed, edge grip yet ease off piste and in bumps of the 21 Faction CT 2.0 in the 100mm range.
You simply mount it further back at their more traditional mount points for skiers like yourself. It’s like a stiffer tip/tail(but more forgiving underfoot) Enforcer 104 that is much more willing to go fast with much better edge grip and carving ability. Had the 186cm Enforcer 104 myself and the 183cm CT 2.0 embarrasses it in everything except maybe float.
Wouldn’t consider it a “powder ski” at all but a fantastic daily driver for Out West and a very fun Spring snow ski here in Ontario. I’m 6’2”/175 and it’s my daily driver for my month long trips out West.

Agree with others that the V Werks would make a good wide ski out West if you’re bringing 2 pairs. Is there anything you DON’T like about the V Werks? Find it’s a nice stable ski that punches above its weight in crud but a bit more traditional in mount and tail shape so not as playful off piste as some other wide options.

And as @Viking9 mentioned, there will be a similar ski to the 21 Faction CT skis at 108mm coming out in February from Rossignol. Black Ops 108 which should have a solid weight and uniform flex with GS like turning radius that should offer more float than these 100mm options.

silverback

Skier
Watching his YouTube videos, to my untrained eyes, it looks like the Katanas are the ski he describes wanting but not really ideal for how he actually skis. No offense. Lots of us are in that boat. If everyone posted videos of them skiing on threads asking for ski selection advice, this results works be way better in my opinion. Same for salesman advice in the shops.

This may be an opportunity to try skis that are off his usual radar. More modern, progressive, slarvy, easy to pivot skis might suit him better than he thinks. It takes some time to adjust to these kinds of skis, at least for me, so a longer term demo or purchase might make sense.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Is there anything you DON’T like about the V Werks? Find it’s a nice stable ski that punches above its weight in crud but a bit more traditional in mount and tail shape so not as playful off piste as some other wide options.

So ... who's got a stash of Armada JJs?

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Watching his YouTube videos, to my untrained eyes, it looks like the Katanas are the ski he describes wanting but not really ideal for how he actually skis. No offense. Lots of us are in that boat. If everyone posted videos of them skiing on threads asking for ski selection advice, this results works be way better in my opinion. Same for salesman advice in the shops.

This may be an opportunity to try skis that are off his usual radar. More modern, progressive, slarvy, easy to pivot skis might suit him better than he thinks. It takes some time to adjust to these kinds of skis, at least for me, so a longer term demo or purchase might make sense.

Agree with this. My initial reaction had been that a Wailer 112 or Pescado (i.e. modern shape for a traditional skier) would actually be just about perfect. They are still kind of light but otherwise seem in line with what I think he wants even if not they’re not what he’s asking for, which is kind of what I was trying to get at though I may have phrased it inartfully.

The big square tail stuff in powder is a specialty tool and probably not the right starting point for most people, conditions or terrain.

Take a look at Jskis.com. Based in Vermont, all skis made in Canada. I've got 2 pair now. High quality skis, great value, killer/limited edition top sheet graphics. You can buy and try and send back if you don't like (I have) and get something else or refund. Company founded by Jason Levinthal...founder of Line skis, FullTilt boots, and savior of 4FRNT. Do yourself a favor and reach out to them. Good luck!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
So ... who's got a stash of Armada JJs?
ARV JJs are loose, surfy ski that don’t like speed or any snow that’s not soft. Like the similar heavily tapered DPS Wailers they are great for tighter, slow turns in fresh powder but not great in crud or at “GS speeds”.

If I was going to choose a Line ski, the Outline would have great float, be a blast in trees but much more precise on soft groomers and be more comfortable with some speed.
The similar weight 22 CT 3.0 would be even more precise and faster edge to edge but isn’t as damp as the 200gr heavier 21 CT 3.0.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
ARV JJs are loose, surfy ski that don’t like speed or any snow that’s not soft. Like the similar heavily tapered DPS Wailers they are great for tighter, slow turns in fresh powder but not great in crud or at “GS speeds”.

Yes. I know :) The idea was to steer OP to a (cheap?) fat ski that works with his weaknesses, not one that amplifies his strengths and style in majority of turns.

That way there is an added advantage: when he does buy the Stockli (I sense he will, somehow), the CFS is still there and doesn't really overlap.

Utah -> CFS
Whistler (again, hypothetically) -> Stockli
VWK -> sold while still has some residual value

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s going to be real interesting to see how much Rossi pushes that 108, that width ski seems to be a very attractive width in the U.S. at the moment.
Will we have the #1 selling ski ,,,,,,,AGAIN ?????

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
It’s going to be real interesting to see how much Rossi pushes that 108, that width ski seems to be a very attractive width in the U.S. at the moment.
Will we have the #1 selling ski ,,,,,,,AGAIN ?????
And the Unleashed 108 which is also a great option if someone wanted a slightly lighter and more precise Enforcer. Also Candide’s new line which should have something near that width too whenever it comes out.

Great time to like incredibly versatile playful chargers near that width this year.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t know the numbers but did the Enforcer supplant the Soul 7 in sales ??

TS
Audioguy

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier

WOW you guys are great, thanks for all the comments.

And Just an FYI, those videos are before I joined a racing ski club. I used to ski 5-10 days a year, now I do approx 30 and have learned so much from the lessons and gate training. Turn with my bottom half now rather than my upper body like in the videos.

Someone said it was great to see a video to be able to offer advice, but in this case maybe not so much. I posted those videos cause I love the music in them ;-)

That being said, I have so much more to learn and still suck compared to the real racers teaching me. but man I have improved more in the last couple of years than the previous 20.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I’ll take a swing. If you like the Stockli’s -maybe look at the Kastle Fx106ti as well. As much as I LOVE my old plaid top SR95s, if I was going out west and knew it was going to be soft’ish, I’m likely taking the green skis. I have not skied the Kastle Z line, have always gravitated to skis with some metal.

Sponsor

Staff online