• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

100-105mm ski choices... Yikes.

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
Hello, my first post, sorry its not filled with useful info more of a question.

I ski hard pack Ontario snow, love my Stockli's have a bunch of them. Ski pretty well and dabble in the gates.

For wide skis, I have a old pair of the original V-werks Katana's - too wide and a pair of the original M5's - too narrow. I'm looking for something new in the 100-105 to take to Utah with me in January.

Yes I'm a huge Stockli fan, but does spending the big bucks on a 100mm wide ski from a brand that excels with the narrow hard pack kinda ski make sense???

I'm 5 11 165 lbs, ski well, love powder in the trees, fast GS groomers. I never ski backwards, don't do the park thing, or that modern smearing thing.

Looking at SR102's, Nordica 100 and 104 free, Mantra 102, Rossi 104 and 106Ti's. Can anyone that fits a similar skiing style as me offer up some advice.

Thanks.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes I'm a huge Stockli fan, but does spending the big bucks on a 100mm wide ski from a brand that excels with the narrow hard pack kinda ski make sense???

Probably not. I suspect the SR102 will be nothing alike the M102 beasts.
Let me add to the confusion throwing in Ranger 102 and DPS Pagoda 106 C2.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Tough call then. I like different skis for “fast gs groomers” and “powder in the trees”. I also like different skis for PM and the Cottonwoods. No matter what you choose there will be compromises. What are you willing to compromise on and what are you not?

I’m your size and also like directional skis btw.

I’m assuming you will only be bringing one pair?

silverback

Skier
Probably not. I suspect the SR102 will be nothing alike the M102 beasts.
Let me add to the confusion throwing in Ranger 102 and DPS Pagoda 106 C2.
Funny, was just about to edit my post to suggest the DPS 106.

I’ve never tried them but I have some friends at PM that love them.

silverback

Skier
If I were only able to have one pair from my collection and had no clue on conditions, to ski those resorts…I’d probably choose mx98s or mindbender 108s.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was skiing the Blizzard Rustler 10 in 188 out there last season- these things ripped on the groomers and were playful in the trees- a tad long on some of the tighter bump runs. But kept a smile on my face the whole time. Just to toss another into the ring- maybe in the 180.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the Head Kore 105 which are actually 107mm at waist. Kind of stiff and kind of playful at the same time. Work great in powder, trees, cut up snow, bumps and even are surprisingly good groomer zoomers.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why do you think they are too wide? If you will also have a narrower ski with you

Agree, it’s not obvious to me why 112 underfoot is too wide for Utah if you have a narrower option too. If they are the carbon fiber light-ish Katanas, I would have actually thought that they could make a ton of sense for someone with traditional technique but who also wants some accessibility from reduced swing weight.

Is he bringing a narrower ski too? I think a legit powder ski (possibly a heavier one than the carbon Katanas) would compliment a Stormrider 88 or Laser AX like ski super well in Utah.

TS
Audioguy

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
Tough call then. I like different skis for “fast gs groomers” and “powder in the trees”. I also like different skis for PM and the Cottonwoods. No matter what you choose there will be compromises. What are you willing to compromise on and what are you not?

I’m your size and also like directional skis btw.

I’m assuming you will only be bringing one pair?
I'll bring two pairs, depending on the weather forecast I will choose one of my Stockli's, probably AX or SR88, the race skis will obviously be staying home.

And thanks guys, I'll look into those DPS 106's as well.

TS
Audioguy

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
Oh and I guess I would compromise on groomer performance as I will have my SR88 or AX's with me.

Man sorry I should have given more details in my first post.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think SR88 and VWK would be a great pair to take out west. If I’d never been out west with them, I’d surely give that pair an audition on that trip, rather than buying something else. I owned the original VWK in 177 and found it plenty versatile for a 112 wide ski.

But I certainly get wanting a new / different ski.
Lots of good recommendations given above, good luck in the hunt.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
My $.02 - the Katana is a totally reasonable wide ski. I don’t get why you want a narrower wider ski for Powder Mountain in particular. I’m not a regular visitor there but my strong, though dated, recollection is low angle trees.

If anything, I’d think the Katanas are too narrow but I’m quite a bit heavier than you. The other issue you could have is they are kind of light for inbounds chop, but especially if you’ve never used them out west that’s hard to judge. The heavy “smash through it” directional pow skis are a bit of an acquired and specific taste.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Kastle ZX100 and/or ZX108 should be in this discussion. The 100s have good float, easy pivoting, and a strong enough backbone to get you down the groomers.
IMG_9169.jpeg
IMG_9162.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello, my first post, sorry its not filled with useful info more of a question.

I ski hard pack Ontario snow, love my Stockli's have a bunch of them. Ski pretty well and dabble in the gates.

For wide skis, I have a old pair of the original V-werks Katana's - too wide and a pair of the original M5's - too narrow. I'm looking for something new in the 100-105 to take to Utah with me in January.

I'm 5 11 165 lbs, ski well, love powder in the trees, fast GS groomers. I never ski backwards, don't do the park thing, or that modern smearing thing.

Looking at SR102's, Nordica 100 and 104 free, Mantra 102, Rossi 104 and 106Ti's. Can anyone that fits a similar skiing style as me offer up some advice.

Thanks.

A ski that is good in powder in the trees will NOT be good in fast GS groomers. Trust me, I have looked. There have been some that have been close though.

The wider Nordicas do have a good shape for that. Incredibly in the longer lengths the Patron was almost ideal for those 2 seemingly contradicting things.

The new Sender 104, in the longer length, looks to fit the bill but I have not skied it.

Mantra 102, forgetaboutit, Its a beast to handle in tight trees. It is amazing on wide open slopes at speed though.

Sponsor

Staff online