• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

100-105mm ski choices... Yikes.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Oh and I guess I would compromise on groomer performance as I will have my SR88 or AX's with me.

Man sorry I should have given more details in my first post.

Thanks guys for all the replies.
If you’re bringing ax or 88s, 112 for the second ski is definitely not too wide.

I second the “keep the Katanas” suggestions even though that doesn’t help with your desire for a new toy.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I"m exactly the same size as you and skied sr 88 and sr 105 as my ideal 2 ski quiver last year, just sweet combo.
i'm relocating and my skiing after this year will be long flights only, so I'm simplifying to a 1 ski setup, see my 105 in garage sell.
cheers!
w

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was skiing the Blizzard Rustler 10 in 188 out there last season- these things ripped on the groomers and were playful in the trees- a tad long on some of the tighter bump runs. But kept a smile on my face the whole time. Just to toss another into the ring- maybe in the 180.
Don't mean to hijack OP's question (hopefully complimentary question), but what year Rustler 10s are you skiing? I'm strongly considering going with the 2023 Rustler 10s for my dedicated out west all mountain ski that would compliment my Kastle MX89s (as my Frontside) if it's dry. I plan to ski it in Utah and Colorado this year. I've skied the 11s as a rental a number of times and love it, but it's really a true powder only ski for me at that waist.

I want something I can ski for most conditions with powder up to about 10" range. Above 10-12" I would probably just still rent since it's somewhat rare for the number of days I can ski.

If I can also ask, how tall are you and weight? I'm 6'2 175 and advanced skier. I'm struggling with the size here 180 v 188. I appreciate any additional thoughts you have on this ski.

For OP's consideration, I would also recommend looking at the Rossi Sender Ti 106 or Declivity 102. Both are on my interest list as well, but currently favoring the Rustler 10s

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kastle ZX100 and/or ZX108 should be in this discussion. The 100s have good float, easy pivoting, and a strong enough backbone to get you down the groomers.
Hijacking #2 (Thanks OP!)

Andy, I ski the MX89s and LOVE them...I have never skied the ZX series. Have you compared them? I have no practical experience with the ZX series but will add this ski option to my list of considerations as well. any comparison experience of these to the Rustler 10s?

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey Audioguy , 901 guy here , please wait till next year and buy the Rossi Black Ops 108 so we can start the Never Ending Rossi Black Ops thread and compete with the other Audioguy ( GregK ) and his Never Ending Faction collection !!
( we’ll leave the women ( Stokley ) out of it )

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Don't mean to hijack OP's question (hopefully complimentary question), but what year Rustler 10s are you skiing? I'm strongly considering going with the 2023 Rustler 10s for my dedicated out west all mountain ski that would compliment my Kastle MX89s (as my Frontside) if it's dry. I plan to ski it in Utah and Colorado this year. I've skied the 11s as a rental a number of times and love it, but it's really a true powder only ski for me at that waist.

I want something I can ski for most conditions with powder up to about 10" range. Above 10-12" I would probably just still rent since it's somewhat rare for the number of days I can ski.

If I can also ask, how tall are you and weight? I'm 6'2 175 and advanced skier. I'm struggling with the size here 180 v 188. I appreciate any additional thoughts you have on this ski.

For OP's consideration, I would also recommend looking at the Rossi Sender Ti 106 or Declivity 102. Both are on my interest list as well, but currently favoring the Rustler 10s

I have skied all of the Rustlers (9, 10 and 11) in several sizes several years but not the latest. The 10's were my favorite bar none in 188cm's (I am 6-2 200lb). Just superb daily drivers for Colorado. Easy going but VERY capable if you lay em over at high angles. A true OSQ for here. For tighter terrain the 180's might be the ticket.

TS
Audioguy

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
A ski that is good in powder in the trees will NOT be good in fast GS groomers. Trust me, I have looked. There have been some that have been close though.

The wider Nordicas do have a good shape for that. Incredibly in the longer lengths the Patron was almost ideal for those 2 seemingly contradicting things.

The new Sender 104, in the longer length, looks to fit the bill but I have not skied it.

Mantra 102, forgetaboutit, Its a beast to handle in tight trees. It is amazing on wide open slopes at speed though.
Thanks for the post Ken,

My main focus for the new ski is powder, and my favourite powder is always in the trees. Yes I love fast GS groomers, I added that just so everyone would understand what type of skier I was. I know I can't get both.

TS
Audioguy

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
For all that are asking me why don't I just bring the VWK's.

I'm 50/50 - Tune them up and bring them. However, they bug me. I generally don't like light skis, weird unconventional skis, skis without camber, blah blah blah. Why did I buy them, well that was probably 7-9 years ago, shit happens, things change.

The other 50 - Do the Stockli thing, SR102's. I just love the crazy ass Stockli quiver I own (5 pairs - 3 are racing skis).

However, the other side of my brain says the second 50 is simply stupid, buy an affordable fat banana ski, but not too fat as i'm I race ski lover at heart.

Thanks for so many replies.

TS
Audioguy

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
These ZX108's are starting to really appeal to me, does it make sense to put the those crazy ass looking Look pivots on them?

Is this the ski for me? and if so, 179 or 184, how do they ski length wise?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
These ZX108's are starting to really appeal to me, does it make sense to put the those crazy ass looking Look pivots on them?

Is this the ski for me? and if so, 179 or 184, how do they ski length wise?
They ski pretty close to full length. Pivots would be great on them, keeping you low on the ski. Biggest drawback is getting them back on in deeper snow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thanks for the post Ken,

My main focus for the new ski is powder, and my favourite powder is always in the trees. Yes I love fast GS groomers, I added that just so everyone would understand what type of skier I was. I know I can't get both.

Avoid the Mantra 102. Its heavy and its best for wide open slopes and it has very little float, it likes to plow through snow.

I am very curious about the lighter Nordicas (Enforcer 104 Unlimited) and want to demo them asap. I suspect they are awesome for what you are looking for.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hijacking #2 (Thanks OP!)

Andy, I ski the MX89s and LOVE them...I have never skied the ZX series. Have you compared them? I have no practical experience with the ZX series but will add this ski option to my list of considerations as well. any comparison experience of these to the Rustler 10s?
Different animals. The MX series is heavier and damper. A premium ski. The ZX series is lighter and not quite as damp. Still a really good ski but made for a different purpose. I haven't been on the Rustler so no comparison there.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
However, the other side of my brain says the second 50 is simply stupid, buy an affordable fat banana ski, but not too fat as i'm I race ski lover at heart

My main focus for the new ski is powder, and my favourite powder is always in the trees.

These two statements are a bit contradictory. You absolutely full stop do not want a “powder” ski that works like a wide race ski (which is sort of the genre the Mantra 102 and Sender Ti+ are in) in the trees.

If you want a soft snow ski that’s good in trees but which I think you could live with on piste, I’d recommend a “playful charger” type ski like the Candide 2021 3.0

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
These two statements are a bit contradictory.

I disagree - for reasons below:

You absolutely full stop do not want a “powder” ski that works like a wide race ski (which is sort of the genre the Mantra 102 and Sender Ti+ are in) in the trees.

He never said he wanted a wide race ski, he just wants a powder ski that he will not dislike as much as he dislikes the VWKs.

And he will consider a budget, wider alternative to the SR102

If you want a soft snow ski that’s good in trees but which I think you could live with on piste, I’d recommend a “playful charger” type ski like the Candide 2021 3.0

Yes, that was one of the things I thought of as well.

TS
Audioguy

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
I disagree - for reasons below:

He never said he wanted a wide race ski, he just wants a powder ski that he will not dislike as much as he dislikes the VWKs.

And he will consider a budget, wider alternative to the SR102

Yes, that was one of the things I thought of as well.
Thank you for understanding, much appreciated.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Audioguy , 901 guy here , please wait till next year and buy the Rossi Black Ops 108 so we can start the Never Ending Rossi Black Ops thread and compete with the other Audioguy ( GregK ) and his Never Ending Faction collection !!
( we’ll leave the women ( Stokley ) out of it )

You will leave what out of it pal? Wanna step outside? :roflmao:

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier

I have skied all of the Rustlers (9, 10 and 11) in several sizes several years but not the latest. The 10's were my favorite bar none in 188cm's (I am 6-2 200lb). Just superb daily drivers for Colorado. Easy going but VERY capable if you lay em over at high angles. A true OSQ for here. For tighter terrain the 180's might be the ticket.
I have skied both the 9 and 10- never got on any 11's. Did not like the 9's at all- to me they actually felt sluggish- nothing exciting. My first time on the 10 was in 2018 at Copper- immediately feel in love with these skis. I skied the 180. Then in 2020 I was trying to find another pair to demo and couldn't find any at Stratton- that's when I skied the 9's. That trip I skied a pair of K2 Mindbender 99's in 184. They were very solid under foot, could carve nicely and could ski them in some cut-up bumps, but still not the ski I wanted. Ended up getting the 10's from @SkiEssentials. After talking to Jeff about skiing the K2 in 184- he suggested that I get the 10's in 188. With the amount of rocker in these skis, they actually do ski on the short side. So for reference I'm 6' 170-175. Very solid advanced skier- love to go fast, ski bumps, and play in the trees. In 188, the 10's are a perfect fit for my skiing. @Ken_R hits the nail on the head on his points regarding the ski. I would agree that the 180's would be better in tighter terrain, but that is no reason to get them, especially at your height/weight- grab the 188's.

Just a FYI- the 180 is 102mm underfoot and the 188 is 104mm.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online