• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

100-105mm ski choices... Yikes.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Exactly what I was looking for; thank you!

Binding suggestions if any? I was looking at Skiessentials also since I have a pretty handsome loyalty coupon to use as well.

I am tempted to put pivots on them, but they have a really good price when they package it by adding the attack2 14 GW bindings.
I got mine with the Tyrolia Attack 2 13 GW

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello, my first post, sorry its not filled with useful info more of a question.

I ski hard pack Ontario snow, love my Stockli's have a bunch of them. Ski pretty well and dabble in the gates.

For wide skis, I have a old pair of the original V-werks Katana's - too wide and a pair of the original M5's - too narrow. I'm looking for something new in the 100-105 to take to Utah with me in January.

Yes I'm a huge Stockli fan, but does spending the big bucks on a 100mm wide ski from a brand that excels with the narrow hard pack kinda ski make sense???

I'm 5 11 165 lbs, ski well, love powder in the trees, fast GS groomers. I never ski backwards, don't do the park thing, or that modern smearing thing.

Looking at SR102's, Nordica 100 and 104 free, Mantra 102, Rossi 104 and 106Ti's. Can anyone that fits a similar skiing style as me offer up some advice.

Thanks.
I have the 104 free. It’s looser than the 100 from what I’ve heard. I also own the mantra m6 in 96 among other skis. If I was in your shoes I’d pick between 104 free or mantra 102. I picked 104 free myself because I wanted variety. I already have skis that are more precise than playful.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
ARV JJs are loose, surfy ski that don’t like speed or any snow that’s not soft. Like the similar heavily tapered DPS Wailers they are great for tighter, slow turns in fresh powder but not great in crud or at “GS speeds”.

If I was going to choose a Line ski, the Outline would have great float, be a blast in trees but much more precise on soft groomers and be more comfortable with some speed.
The similar weight 22 CT 3.0 would be even more precise and faster edge to edge but isn’t as damp as the 200gr heavier 21 CT 3.0.

The OP isn't skiing fast AND is loose and slurfy. I'm not convinced skills are as well honed as wished. We men do that.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The OP isn't skiing fast AND is loose and slurfy. I'm not convinced skills are as well honed as wished. We men do that.
Was more thinking of a skis in-between his current very traditional, flat tailed, little tapered ski and a very tapered, Center mounted, soft flexing ski that are useless on anything but fresh powder.

The Unleashed 108, 21 CT 3.0, Black Ops 108 etc will all be much easier and fun to ski in tight trees than his current V Werks. All are forgiving and confidence inspiring off trail for an intermediate yet can still be driven hard by an expert.
These will also still be good at med/GS speeds carving on soft groomers too. Will be far more versatile so they will get a lot more use.

He might run into the same off trail “issues” with the Storm Rider 102 with it not being loose enough and could be why he’s not in love with the SR 88 yet too.
Might prefer a less on piste biased ski and like more of an all mountain shaped ski for his wider, non carving skis. I know I do!

Just remembered that the OP is pretty local to me so @Audioguy is more than welcome to try out any of my quiver if he’s ever at Moonstone or Blue Mountain.
Could try out 92mm, 102mm or 112mm skis to see how good wide twin tip skis can be! As long as your boot sole is between 284mm and 316mm I could adjust the bindings to demo.

Last edited:
TS
Audioguy

Audioguy

Booting up
Skier
You are 100% correct.

However that 6 seasons ago, my skiing is a lot different now.

I also only skied only 7 times that year, that was day 1 of the JH trip, I live at sea level, a powder day when you can't breath due to the altitude is rough, I was exhausted. The guys I was skiing with were on the last day of their trip, they timed it well. Unfortunately I never got my ski legs or lungs on that one, as the wind picked up huge at the end of the day, and the power-lines came down during dinner. We were evacuated out the resort the next morning and JH was shut down for the week that followed, so much for that trip!

Even with all the improvements I have made to my skiing the last few years, I still have so much to learn, but have been loving every minute getting there.

Cheers.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are 100% correct.

However that 6 seasons ago, my skiing is a lot different now.

I also only skied only 7 times that year, that was day 1 of the JH trip, I live at sea level, a powder day when you can't breath due to the altitude is rough, I was exhausted. The guys I was skiing with were on the last day of their trip, they timed it well. Unfortunately I never got my ski legs or lungs on that one, as the wind picked up huge at the end of the day, and the power-lines came down during dinner. We were evacuated out the resort the next morning and JH was shut down for the week that followed, so much for that trip!

Even with all the improvements I have made to my skiing the last few years, I still have so much to learn, but have been loving every minute getting there.

Cheers.
I remember that week. We were over in Big Sky and were getting around 4-8" most days and were a bit jealous of Jackson until the shit hit the fan and then we were really glad we were at Big Sky.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You've been a K2 guy in the past, anything there for OP?

I love my Mindbender 108s when the snow is more than 4 inches or so, and while many may disagree, I'd probably rather stay home than ski them on hardpack. No firsthand experience on any other K2s in awhile.

Of the skis mentioned in the original post, I'd probably just point him at the Enforcer 100s and call it a day. They do everything darn well, and many things fantastically, though I would not call them particularly engaging on groomers.

But we all know he's buying Stormriders, right? Just gotta go through the process first! ;)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my Mindbender 108s when the snow is more than 4 inches or so, and while many may disagree, I'd probably rather stay home than ski them on hardpack. No firsthand experience on any other K2s in awhile.

Of the skis mentioned in the original post, I'd probably just point him at the Enforcer 100s and call it a day. They do everything darn well, and many things fantastically, though I would not call them particularly engaging on groomers.

But we all know he's buying Stormriders, right? Just gotta go through the process first! ;)

Dunno. With that many Stocklis in the quiver I’d give a chance to another brand in the 100+ category.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
At 165lbs I worry you may find the Enforcers tending to be too stiff and damp. You’d ski them and enjoy them, no doubt, but possibly with that nagging feeling they could be a touch softer and more lively.

So I’m suggesting;

• Your SR 102. You love your Stocklis and it’s right there!
  • Nordica Unleashed 108. More approachable than the Enforcers at your weight.
  • Salomon QST106. A forgiving off piste focused favourite for many years for a reason.
That list is also unintentionally ordered from best on groomers to worst on groomers, and, arguably, worst off piste to best off piste.

I’m personally happy with the Enforcers for your use case, but I’m 200lbs

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And a one week ban from the All Things Stockli thread for you, buddy!

1668377900129.png

We needn't be locked in the Swiss ski bubble only however alluring it might be. There are other great ski out there especially in the 100+ category. Yeah, heresy I know but still...

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since here he's recommended something besides a Stockli, or Stockli like, ski, these prohibition type posts are a bit like waiting for an aloof guy to smile and be friendly before giving him a hard time for being so distant. Man, he's moving towards you big grin (and at least briefly away from the big S); why not smile back- what more do you want? Encourage him! :D

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd second these, provisionally: The Rustler 10, Rustler 11 at 180, the Nordica Unleashed, the FX106 if more skilled,
the DPS Pagoda 106s, the Quest 106, and the ZX108 maybe (have not skied it).

I've heard that in this same vein the Line Blade Optic skis, 96, 104 and 114, are great top "in between" skis also.
They are said to be lively skis, playful and pivoty, and still surprisingly damp and good on edge and on groomers also, for such a ski -
maybe kind of like the Nordica Unleashed line, I gather, with slightly less on edge carve, more in between.

These are all tops, I'd guess, IF you still pivot short turns a lot, except with more lower body, etc.

But are you still mostly pivoting in softer snow?

(Man, those video scenes - and the music - are so peaceful and perfect, just so nice. Thanks!
I almost drifted off to sleep twice with contentment just watching them!!)

On the other hand, most of the skis you mentioned in your first post are also a bit of the charger ski, not optimal pivoting in trees.
I have not skied the Rossi 104, so not sure about that one, but the others, most are heavier and slower and not as quick as the V-W Katana 17X can be, so the above recommendations of the other posters sure seem to be good ones.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I’ll take a swing. If you like the Stockli’s -maybe look at the Kastle Fx106ti as well. As much as I LOVE my old plaid top SR95s, if I was going out west and knew it was going to be soft’ish, I’m likely taking the green skis. I have not skied the Kastle Z line, have always gravitated to skis with some metal.
^ it was and I did. Just back from CO. Was the right choice.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Another contender not previously mentioned is this year's Fischer Ranger 108. Might be close to the goldilocks you are seeking.

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've demoed the Rossignol Sender 104 Ti. It is fantastic in trees ... super maneuverable, light, nimble and easy to turn and easy to dump speed.

The ski also happens to absolutely RAIL on groomers with seemingly no speed limit.

I haven't been on the 106 Ti Plus but I gather it is a different ski that needs more wide open spaces. The 104 Ti is a much different animal.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello, my first post, sorry its not filled with useful info more of a question.

I ski hard pack Ontario snow, love my Stockli's have a bunch of them. Ski pretty well and dabble in the gates.

For wide skis, I have a old pair of the original V-werks Katana's - too wide and a pair of the original M5's - too narrow. I'm looking for something new in the 100-105 to take to Utah with me in January.

Yes I'm a huge Stockli fan, but does spending the big bucks on a 100mm wide ski from a brand that excels with the narrow hard pack kinda ski make sense???

I'm 5 11 165 lbs, ski well, love powder in the trees, fast GS groomers. I never ski backwards, don't do the park thing, or that modern smearing thing.

Looking at SR102's, Nordica 100 and 104 free, Mantra 102, Rossi 104 and 106Ti's. Can anyone that fits a similar skiing style as me offer up some advice.

Thanks.
If you are in Ontario there might be extra mojo from skiing wood grown across the lake in Michigan - check out the Shaggy's line. If the many stock models don't do it, they are among the most reasonable custom ski makers. IMO their LES (lake effect snow), northern, MI home, Boho and Duluth - Lutsen time makes them really good at handling mixed conditions.

Sponsor

Staff online