• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your Second Run

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
It’s worse for me.

My boot ALWAYS hurts on first run. I could never figure out why. I need to go into the lodge and take off my boot to let the blood back into my feet. Just 30 second is all I need. Otherwise, it takes about 5 runs before I ski normally again.

So my first run is almost always a short one. I pick the shortest lift, shortest run. Make million turns. Then go in, 30 seconds feet out of boot. I’m good to go the rest of the day.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was off hockey during COVID. 18 months. When we started back up I was convinced I had forgotten how to skate. Like I was going to simply eat crap. Turns out skating was great but I could not hit the barn with my passing or shooting! Came back after half an hour. Weird!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s worse for me.

My boot ALWAYS hurts on first run. I could never figure out why. I need to go into the lodge and take off my boot to let the blood back into my feet. Just 30 second is all I need. Otherwise, it takes about 5 runs before I ski normally again.

So my first run is almost always a short one. I pick the shortest lift, shortest run. Make million turns. Then go in, 30 seconds feet out of boot. I’m good to go the rest of the day.
I have boot issues on the first run -always. I need to loosen on the lift and tighten back up to ski for about 5 runs. After that, I can leave them alone and ski. It’s a circulation thing. I have tried stretching before I leave, some cardio, nothing works. I have to ski it out

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I have boot issues on the first run -always. I need to loosen on the lift and tighten back up to ski for about 5 runs. After that, I can leave them alone and ski. It’s a circulation thing. I have tried stretching before I leave, some cardio, nothing works. I have to ski it out
Yep. That’s me.

I decided to take the lessor of two evils. Stopping in the lodge and take my feet out of my boots for 30 seconds. I lose only one run. Rejoin my gang as they circle back for their third run. (Or I ask where they heading for their 3rd or 4th run and try to catch up to them)

Happy feet, happy skier

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
By nature of the mountain I ski and the way I ski it my first run will be on a green. It had been on a Blue but terrain expansion has now opened the outer route. See the mountain is really a ridge and the routes spill down the top as one goes across 1,2,3,4 etc. Ramps up quickly too with run 3 being a nice steep shot. Like 15 routes down the face as one goes across. Call it yo-yoing.

So like many have said 1st run is kind of scouting out the mission, snow conditions etc. 2nd a higher gear, and so on.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
As Tricia said,
"First is - Oh, oh, oooooh,
Second is - Oh yeah I recall that
Third is - Whoo hooo!!"

I'll usually do a green for my warmup run when my legs feel like they're made of balsa wood and my feet feel like they're made of glass. Then I'll do a blue but take it easy, and then another blue but ski it aggressively. Then I'm ready to take on anything I can usually handle. I eat a light lunch with no booze and I usually ski my best in the afternoon, until my body - sometimes abruptly - tells me I'm done for the day.

Disclaimer: Once I started the day on a smooth and wide but quite steep black and I ended up skiing pretty much the same as always that day, so maybe some of the above is just psychological.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Last Tuesday I did my first run on a trail that I have only skied about 5 times in the last 9 years. I had arrived a bit late to the mountain so I skipped my warm up runs and went to the top. There was about 6" of denser snow overnight and the sun broke through the clouds just as I got up there. From the lift I could see that "Glory Hole" was almost untouched. I wasn't ready and the skiing wasn't pretty, but no falls at least. It kind of broke the ice so to speak because I went on to ski a bunch of places that can freak me out if I let it get to my head. It turned out to be my best day this year.

I can warm up pretty fast, it usually takes only one run. But I guess I don't even need that if conditions are enticing enough.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
It took several seasons to build the confidence, but I will absolutely go for it on the first run of the day, and concede that things tend to improve from there.

Last edited:

Sponsor