• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your Second Run

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or at least my second run, seems to be the first one that actually counts.

Let's say I switch skis to start a new day. Oh my god these skis are sliding all over the place they don't hook up, why do my boots hurt so much, I must look like a total Barney.

But then some sort of magic happens on the second lift ride up. Wow these skis rail and are super fun, I feel great, bet I look pretty cool.

Why? I swear it's top to bottom this is awful and I'm terrible on the first run. And then I make no conscious adjustments and the second run feels like three times better. Hmmm.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm a 2 run kinda gal. First run of the day I might be tentative, feeling out the conditions, etc. I always take 2 runs before I decide if I'm going to stay out. I always warm up on the same run when i first go out. Same goes for after lunch. That first run after lunch is often bad, full tummy, stagnant body needs to loosen up, etc. Afternoon varies in which run i take but it's usually a mid mountain run. I'll take a second run after lunch and that's the deciding run on whether I stay out or not.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I always warm up on the same run. That's when I tweak buckles, rearrange the face mask, whatever. It's really a check up run on whether I'm ready to ski. Unfortunately, it's preceded by a stretch we call the Ant Hill, so sometimes that section is terrifying but it certainly focuses me on what's not adjusted right.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
If it's powder, it's full force from the start. I don't want to miss the first lines.

If it's a regular day and I'm not pressed. I'll do a couple of light drills to get my body in ski mode and find out how my body is today. In addition, I'll also check the snow as I go.

From there it is game on.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or at least my second run, seems to be the first one that actually counts.

Let's say I switch skis to start a new day. Oh my god these skis are sliding all over the place they don't hook up, why do my boots hurt so much, I must look like a total Barney.

But then some sort of magic happens on the second lift ride up. Wow these skis rail and are super fun, I feel great, bet I look pretty cool.

Why? I swear it's top to bottom this is awful and I'm terrible on the first run. And then I make no conscious adjustments and the second run feels like three times better. Hmmm.

Same same. First run-sleepy, stiff, checking how snow feels like, tentative and cautious. Second run-better. Third run-pedal to the metal WEEEEEEEEEEEEE…

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
For me, the magic number is three.
The third run of a day (first two usually spent skiing with open buckles)
The third day in a season.
The sixth training session
Etc etc
Then from then on, the “gates” are distinctly discernible, usually around day 20, then day 30 then day 50…

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup to all that. At ou home mountain we have a long green run (actually about 6 named trails) that I warm up on for my first run or two while the the other old guys and gals skid down what passes for blacks in Upstate NY. I like to get the old bones and muscles moving and rail some turns before I go to something steeper. Of course on the very rare occasion we get real fresh snow the routine goes out the window.............................

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Not me, the first run is a good as the last run of the day.

My boots are fit to my feet by one of the best boot fitters in the area. I have custom foot beds. I put my boots on the same way each ski day, 28 days so far this season.

IMO, your not doing something right.

Do you push the tongue down in the boot and flex once to drive the foot back into the heel pocket, then push down the tongue, pull the "boosterstrap" buckle the boots from the top down. Flex again, tighten the "boosterstrap" again, tighten the buckles, top down. I leave the bottom two buckles one slot looser, until just before I walk out to the lift, that's when I tighten them one more slot in the buckle. I'm pretty much good for the day, that way, until the spring time when things warm up.

The Boosterstrap is a great addition/replacement for that velcor strap boots come with. The Boosterstrap, makes the boot feel like it part of my leg. Not something attached to the leg.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm always a little stiff on the first run. I stretch and warm up at home before leaving but it takes a run or two for me to fully loosen up. Like @socalgal - it's worse after lunch - particularly if I eat a big lunch.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
10 turns, good to go with whatever, but I've been banging away at this for 60 years.

the Ant Hill

THIS IS NOT A GOOD WARMUP!!! :geek::geek::geek:

Although, not so terrible first-first-first thing at backside opening, I guess.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Try to do some drills on a blue the first run: pivot slips, stork turns, tail turns, javelins, 1000 steps. That kind of stuff. Towards the bottom of that run there is a a dark blue or light black will see if I remember how to ski there.
I have my boots pretty well dialed in, once they are bucked on in the morning they stay that way for the day. If it works leave it alone.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
10 turns, good to go with whatever, but I've been banging away at this for 60 years.

THIS IS NOT A GOOD WARMUP!!! :geek::geek::geek:

Although, not so terrible first-first-first thing at backside opening, I guess.
When the season first starts, I stick to Chipmunk until I feel ready for the Ant Hill to be my first run. One year I went straight there for first run of the season. And had arrived late. I learned. It's a good way to get the first fall of the season out of the way quickly.:doh:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have an old habit of starting out on a green. Sometimes that's not possible, and I have to start out on a steeper one. When I have to start on a steeper run, I'm always a little concerned, but I never seem to have any trouble.
However, I take about 5 runs to get used to switching from shorter radius to longer radius skis like SL to GS or SG skis; I keep finding myself too far inside the turn, making unintentional white-pass turns.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Same same. First run-sleepy, stiff, checking how snow feels like, tentative and cautious. Second run-better. Third run-pedal to the metal WEEEEEEEEEEEEE…
Funny, I find a new ski area or a new mtb trail much the same.
I often call them the third ride bliss.

First is - Oh, oh, oooooh,
Second is - Oh yeah I recall that
Third is - Whoo hooo!!

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Another number…14
As Tricia says
First oh, oh, ooooooh
Second oh yeah I recall that
Third is whoo hooo!
Fourteen is “Oh Sheesh, that gate came back at me hard, ouch, I’ m now “late”!

That’s the max rounds of GS courses I can train in a session. The “never to exceed” number.
Once I reach that threshold, anything can happen, usually bad. I have learned the hard way that I better have to stop shutting down the brain and charge like a bull through gates, rather, I need to slow down considerably and work down on details left behind in the previous runs, then reach safely the end of the course and go home.
The difficult part is to keep track of how many rounds I have had so that come 13 I know to stop.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Agree, but mostly because I forgot to scrape the wax so it takes a half run to get the edges clean

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm good to go from the get go.

However, more often than not we start out on a groomer. I like to do some spins and pivot slips to warm up.

Sponsor