• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada WWYD: Mont Sainte Anne or Le Massif de Charlevoix?

WWYD: Mont Sainte Anne or Le Massif de Charlevoix?

• Mont Sainte Anne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Le Massif de Charlevoix

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, well, well… look what the Open Snow forecast dragged in:

6F1FD017-89BF-4FAF-9955-6596610416BD.jpeg
4F27E41E-2998-4C97-976C-E55D695E8691.jpeg
I’m decently on top of work, don’t have dog custody, and can take off with no notice tonight. Given the considerations below, which one would you choose:

Mont Sainte Anne:
- Pro: I have enough points to cover 2 nights for free at a Marriott branded hotel and it appears to be a ski-in ski-out property.
- Con: 10” less than Le Massif de Charlevoix
- Con: quite close to Quebec City, so more likely to be congested
- Neutral: 20% of the mountain is open at the moment, but surely that will change tomorrow

Le Massif de Charlevoix:
- Pro: 10” more than MSA
- Pro: meaningfully further from Quebec City, so perhaps less likely to be congested
- Neutral: 29% or the mountain is open at the moment, but I expect much more will open tomorrow
- Con: ski-in ski-out lodging at least $600 or so for two nights, an amount that I’m not entirely sure I want to spend. Off-mountain lodging is 20 minutes away and at least $300-400.

GPS says they’re about a half an hour apart in distance from me (at 45 minutes to off mountain lodging at Le Massif) so I am indifferent to travel time difference.

What would you choose?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Let me contact Ski Diva Katherine that lives there first. Talked to her last night and they weren't getting any snow till tomorrow (Wednesday).
Currently not worth the drive. Only the north side of MSA open.
Week day not bad right now. February is the British invasion. Then its busy!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Id do both. Disregard proximety to Quebec. Its a half hour further, thats all. Massif is a smaller hill, but has some great views and great tree skiing. MSA is bigger with lots of terrain. If you are looking for some great dining, a little further past Massif in the town of Baie Ste Paul. Great cheese too.
Both places are seriously hurting right now with lack of snow.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Le Massif is a tougher mountain, more consistent vertical. Less variety. I think they're more then 30 mins apart in winter. Still, definitely able to drive it.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jilly is right about the conditions. Better check before you go. Our coach just cancelled a trip to MSA because of poor conditions.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd wait to see what develops. Easy to ski Massif and stay at Ste. Anne. Done it 4 or 5 times. We usually ski both hills. I prefer Ste. Anne's variety of terrain and lifts. Massif kind of funnels everything to the same place. It can also get misted up and a little slick down low near the bottom from it's close proximity to the Saint Lawrence. But it is a great pace with amazing views.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
17-27” forecast for tomorrow seems like enough to fill in a lot of the mountain, no?
Are you sure that isnt cm's? Forecast for mont sainte anne is 20 - 40cm between tuesday and wednesday

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone know about this, it looks like a gondola from a train station? below Le Massif.
IMG_1591.jpeg

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know about this, it looks like a gondola from a train station? below Le Massif.
View attachment 220954

A long time ago, there was a plan to run a shuttle train between Baie Ste Paul and Massif. The idea was that there would be no development at the mountain, ie condos, hotels restaurants etc. All the infrastructure is in place in BSP, so it would be a win win for all involved. Its been 3 years since I was there last and it wasnt there then. Club Med has since opened a hotel at the hill. Maybe it is finally happening?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 220954

That has been there since... Well since they built the Gondola to the top I think.

They used to run a ski train from Quebec with breakfast and then appetizers and drinks on the way home. Problem is it was around $250 pp and you had to drive 15 or 20 minutes east of the city to get to the embarking station. At that point you might as well drive the half hour to 45 minutes and save $450 or so, go to the Hotel Chateau Frontenac and blow it on a great dinner with some great wine! Anyway I don't think they offer that particular experience anymore. Good idea if the train left from the city and cost a lot less. Still, trains must stop at the station so someone should try it and report back.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is that the biggest Club Med left in the skiverse?

IMG_1592.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online