• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Which FWT ski would you pick?

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Could you share more about your experiences on the Declivity X? I have the 185cm version and can't figure out if I like it or not. All I know so far is I feel like a superhero on them in a straight line and stuggle a bit in trees.
The ski is a breeze in the trees if you stay on the ski and retract your feet between turns.

It probably feels like a lot of ski if you are accustomed to very low powered skis as most modern freeride skis are noodles with a low entry point and low reward.

To increase the quickness of this ski I suggest a bullnose detune on the parts of the ski that are in front and behind the contact points. The edges are sharp in the rocker sections from the factory for no reason.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, wrong ski. His skiing was underwhelming to me, as a result. Maybe reminds me of myself, how I'd do on better skis,
if I was nuts enough.

Drew Tabke was/is on the Praxis GPOs when he was winning (or finishing high up in) those extreme ski world championships.
There were a lot of videos of him on similar terrain, including his winning runs. What a contrast. :)
I have always wanted to pickup a cheap pair of gpos. For a long while people would unload them for chump change on tgr. My impression was that the ski performs but is a bit lite, not quite what people may expect and somewhat demanding compared to other options... and most people can't ski like tabke.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Snowbird with my son, his friend and his friend’s Dad at the end of January. Great snow week!

We skied with an instructor one of the days who was an absolutely ripping skier - mid 20s former racer who skied had and fast. He was a great guy to ski with, especially for the boys who were skiing fast right behind him, hucking cliffs etc. it was the first time I really realized just how much better my kid is at skiing than I am.

Anyway, we’re stopped on a run looking at a short, steep technical section through some trees, rocks and bumps. There were a few ways to ski it and a couple of exit choices. While I was trying to figure out how to ski it with at least a little bit of flow, a guy skied past us and into the section at maybe 30mph, made two absolutely beautiful turns, threw a massive cork 7, stomped the landing and straightlined out of there.

Turns out it was Ross Tester. I remain impressed by how good of a skier our instructor was, but the gap between him and Tester was just unbelievable. I guess it’s like seeing an NBA player in a pick up game or a touring pro at your local golf course. Still, I was shocked by just how good he was.

Anyway, I think Ross Tester was on Revolt 114s, so I’ll pick those.

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Yes, wrong ski. His skiing was underwhelming to me, as a result. Maybe reminds me of myself, how I'd do on better skis,
if I was nuts enough.

Drew Tabke was/is on the Praxis GPOs when he was winning (or finishing high up in) those extreme ski world championships.
There were a lot of videos of him on similar terrain, including his winning runs. What a contrast. :)
It's interesting just how much easier skiing has become with modern rockered fat skis. I spent 15 years at Snowbird and skied regularly with names from the TGR films and household ski industry guys also dabbled in IFSA and FWT a bit before the merge of the tours when big names were there.

Funny enough, at 62 Schmidt has the most impressive feet of any skier I have ever skied with, even better than Marcus Caston.

The other day Scot helped me at the Stockli tent for a couple hours and really liked testing the new AR as he said, "Now that's a real Stockli!". The next day I saw him cruising down to the Lake lift at YC as it goes from a gentle green to a rather steep headwall. As soon as he rolled over the shoulder, he was in a full World Cup hip drag across the headwall on a pair of 193 SR 95s. It's like the length is nothing for him. His daily driver is the SR115 195 and has ten pair in his garage. For a smaller guy he can turn those big skis like feathers.

He made a name for himself hucking cliffs, but what many don't realize is he is in the highest and smallest group of skiers when it comes to ability to work a ski, with one caveat. It has to be long enough. He hates short skis.

I have a theory that the guys who were really good on skinny skis and then handed the big sticks will be the strongest generation skiing has had and will ever know. Handing the fat and rockered skis to those who had to ski strong on skinny skis was like pumping that generation full of steroids.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was at Snowbird with my son, his friend and his friend’s Dad at the end of January. Great snow week!

We skied with an instructor one of the days who was an absolutely ripping skier - mid 20s former racer who skied had and fast. He was a great guy to ski with, especially for the boys who were skiing fast right behind him, hucking cliffs etc. it was the first time I really realized just how much better my kid is at skiing than I am.

Anyway, we’re stopped on a run looking at a short, steep technical section through some trees, rocks and bumps. There were a few ways to ski it and a couple of exit choices. While I was trying to figure out how to ski it with at least a little bit of flow, a guy skied past us and into the section at maybe 30mph, made two absolutely beautiful turns, threw a massive cork 7, stomped the landing and straightlined out of there.

Turns out it was Ross Tester. I remain impressed by how good of a skier our instructor was, but the gap between him and Tester was just unbelievable. I guess it’s like seeing an NBA player in a pick up game or a touring pro at your local golf course. Still, I was shocked by just how good he was.

Anyway, I think Ross Tester was on Revolt 114s, so I’ll pick those.
Thanks. For me, picking the GPOs was purely hypothetical, in the realm of fun fantasy, as was the premise of this thread.

But this post, recommending the Revolt 114s, brings it back to the real world: the longest Revolt 114 is the next ski I was
gearing up to buy at some point soon, from recommendations of several folks who are better skiers than me but still in a
skill realm that applies to me also.

Also,
It's interesting just how much easier skiing has become with modern rockered fat skis. I spent 15 years at Snowbird and skied regularly with names from the TGR films and household ski industry guys also dabbled in IFSA and FWT a bit before the merge of the tours when big names were there.

Funny enough, at 62 Schmidt has the most impressive feet of any skier I have ever skied with, even better than Marcus Caston.

The other day Scot helped me at the Stockli tent for a couple hours and really liked testing the new AR as he said, "Now that's a real Stockli!". The next day I saw him cruising down to the Lake lift at YC as it goes from a gentle green to a rather steep headwall. As soon as he rolled over the shoulder, he was in a full World Cup hip drag across the headwall on a pair of 193 SR 95s. It's like the length is nothing for him. His daily driver is the SR115 195 and has ten pair in his garage. For a smaller guy he can turn those big skis like feathers.

He made a name for himself hucking cliffs, but what many don't realize is he is in the highest and smallest group of skiers when it comes to ability to work a ski, with one caveat. It has to be long enough. He hates short skis.

I have a theory that the guys who were really good on skinny skis and then handed the big sticks will be the strongest generation skiing has had and will ever know. Handing the fat and rockered skis to those who had to ski strong on skinny skis was like pumping that generation full of steroids.
This is impressive, coming from someone who is among the best recreational skiers I've watched ski firsthand. (Sorry.)
At Winter Park at SIA, a number of times, you were skiing Upper and Lower Hughes when I was. I was pleasantly
surprised that we were still skiing at close to the same pace, that day, after multiple runs, so I could get to enjoy watching
you ski (on the original Stockli WRT ST 172s, with the WRT Binding and rubber binding layer set up, at the time).

I can't recall if at the same time I was skiing the same ski, but your WRT setup version was my favorite ski & setup that day,
for a number of demo runs.

I appreciate what you are saying here about elite skiers who grew up on straight skis, and thus prefer longer skis still.
It makes sense for me out of a strange phenomena I still experience year after year, and get flak for: I often prefer longer skis
than most people on this website, and many folks I ski with (even though I'm not an elite skier). If I get a soft snow fat ski,
or a GS race like ski also, I regularly prefer the longest 19X version, or a near 190 version, even though I'm not a big guy.
It just skis better and with more stability and performance, for me, than the shorter versions I'm supposed to prefer by my size.
I skied on straight, long skis (with a short stint racing) for more than forty years, including for soft snow.

(Again, I'm a good skier, but certainly no elite skier. And I'm an old guy.)

Last edited:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. For me, picking the GPOs was purely hypothetical, in the realm of fun fantasy, as was the premise of this thread.

But this post, recommending the Revolt 114s, brings it back to the real world: the longest Revolt 114 is the next ski I was
gearing up to buy at some point soon, from recommendations of several folks who are better skiers than me but still in a
skill realm that applies to me also.
Ha! Mine was a bit of fantasy too, and I wouldn't really pick a ski based on what a superhuman athlete skis, but I agree the Revolt 114s look pretty interesting.

I was shopping for a 110-ish resort pow and crud ski at the start of this season, and reached out to Blister for a recommendation for me and my use case - 6'1", 190lbs, directional skier looking for something that primarily will be stable in taking a pretty direct and fast line in powder and crud, but compromising on that a bit to find something with decent float and versatile enough to be skied on a turnier line when desired.

They came back with the Revolt 114s in 191cm, M-Free 108 in 192cm, or Countach in 188cm. I wound up buying the Countach and like them for the couple of days I've had on them, but those Revolts look pretty sweet too.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ha! Mine was a bit of fantasy too, and I wouldn't really pick a ski based on what a superhuman athlete skis, but I agree the Revolt 114s look pretty interesting.

I was shopping for a 110-ish resort pow and crud ski at the start of this season, and reached out to Blister for a recommendation for me and my use case - 6'1", 190lbs, directional skier looking for something that primarily will be stable in taking a pretty direct and fast line in powder and crud, but compromising on that a bit to find something with decent float and versatile enough to be skied on a turnier line when desired.

They came back with the Revolt 114s in 191cm, M-Free 108 in 192cm, or Countach in 188cm. I wound up buying the Countach and like them for the couple of days I've had on them, but those Revolts look pretty sweet too.
I'm told the longest Revolt is accessible, not hard to ski.

So many neat skis to consider! (Including the Declivity X from @LindseyB , now, seems like!)

Of the three you mention, I've only skied the M-Free 108/192, and enjoyed it, neat ski, and great for the uses you describe.
(But I preferred the M-Free 118/192 in every way, with its overlapping uses, and prefer other skis in the 110-114/19X realm
also over the 108.)

Those other two you mentioned sure seem tops, interesting to me also. (But I also own the Moment Bibby Pro in 184
[and, previously, in 190], the ski the Countach is said to be partly based on, the Countach a more carvy version of the current Wildcat.) :)

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Nice question. Let’s fantasize and play…
I could do with my current Gotama 186, that is plenty, for a crappy skier like me.
But any up to date Volekl ski… Katanas v-werks, Revolt, BMT in the 106+ to 120+ 186 to 191/192 size would make me happy.
Then, there is only one ski I would “betray” the Voelkl line with…the Atomic Bent Chetler…

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm skiing the stiffest ski in a width appropriate for the conditions that my SPANSARS have available for me.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those other two you mentioned sure seem tops, interesting to me also. (But I also own the Moment Bibby Pro in 184
[and, previously, in 190], the ski the Countach is said to be partly based on, the Countach a more carvy version of the current Wildcat.) :)
No to drift this tread too much, but this makes me want the Countach to replace my Wildcat 108s. They are super fun, but a bit too straight for me when I ski at my home mountain with 9,000 of my closest friends and can't safely rip groomers at 40 mph.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sold my Dictator's, hardly ever skied them. Can probably see them being used on the east wall of A Basin any given weekend.

Today I would probably go with

1711047070070.png

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Probably pick the ski that’s been cleaning up the FWT podiums and Jr podiums the last 2 years now in the Sender Free 110. Just introduced 3 special graphics from their team riders the other day on that ski too.

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
OOOH, I think it's the Goguen for me!

Yepow

Skier
1711153040823.jpeg

Yepow

Skier
Just watched the run... ready to order a pair :)

Sponsor

Staff online