• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What to do with old 35M GS Skis?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Primoz,Francois and Muleski - perfectly put.! These are NOT your father's 210 straight GS skis! And there is a BIG difference between getting down the hill on them, and skiing them.!

worth repeating here my advice from a previous thread where I posted some tests

Who are they for?
Stronger skiers with modern technique who can drive a real race ski and are able to lay it over on a high edge angle to make it work as intended. Preferably skiing on a mountain that has enough open space to really enjoy it. Should also be comfortable at speed. They also makes a great budget option for a U16 looking for an affordable, USSA legal, Super G ski. (and this can make far more sense than spending serious $$$ on a >30m U16 SG ski that will see limited use!)

Who are they NOT for?
If you have to ask..... and do not honestly see yourself in the recommendation above.....then, regardless of what a deal they can be, save your $ !

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tsss! That's my finger touching the hot burner.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I distinctly remember leaving narrow grooves in the snow circa 1980 on my 213 Rossi 1G constructs.... but probably never on the race course ;-p But if we weren't carving as nicely as modern days we had the action down and carved a fair amount of the turn... I remember blue ice days that I could ski confidently without much slippage, something had to be digging in and bending for me to do that.

Flash forward 37 years and I tried a pair of proper SG skis for free skiing and scared myself silly. This is from someone who used to freeski on 223 DHs regularly. While I wouldn't mind having a little more top end room with my cheater GS skis I also realize that it's stupid of me to ski faster than I drive (in my case since I don't train and am not in top shape).

Last edited:

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
I sold my R35's to a guy who like longer and straighter skis. I told him they were different from the days gone by and he kept persisting that he wanted them. Sold them bindings and all for about $300 bindings and all. Just wanted them gone since I have no other Head/Fischer skis to swap bindings to.

We'll find out how he likes them this season. Hopefully I don't see him in a stretcher the next time we ski.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Ligety is 33. Where are the Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Dak Prescott, Jared Goff of the U.S. ski racers? We've got Shiffrin, then who?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Ligety is 33. Where are the Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Dak Prescott, Jared Goff of the U.S. ski racers? We've got Shiffrin, then who?

That would be a good question for Tiger Shaw, and Chip Knight. The USST has been fumbling development for a long time. They seem to have a much better plan now, but it will take time. And you don't know until you see how it works out.

BTW, MS has been incredibly great for US skiing, and at the same time has been a real problem. Giving a generation of parents and kids a reality check about the fact that she is a once a lifetime skier has been a struggle. It's completely messed up expectations. The amount of time and energy involved among coaches and program directors to deal with this is enormous. You could have the best U16 in the world, literally, but Mikaela was on the WC in her first FIS season. So, why is my daughter not ready for the WC when she his he FIS ranks? Seriously. It happens.

There are a lot of very strong up and comers. But they are young, will not be scoring on the WC for some time, and need to be developed the right way. Don't be looking of WC podiums. There are younger kids who stack up VERY well against their age group peers in the world. They kill it in the big international competitions,

One.....Sam Morse. last year's Junior Worlds DH Champ. Sam is the real deal, and they are not going to rush him. They do not want him just skiing on the World Cup. They want him winning. He is 20. Another is River Radamus. On the female side, Breezy Johnson s the most visible. There are another half dozen....all very young. My favorite bet is recovering from an ACL, Nellie Rose Talbot. Love that name.

There are older birth years were we simply have nobody in the system. All gone. There as a stretch when this was completely mismanaged. And no fun for the kids who were trying. That can't happen again. We used to rush them too soon. Did MS, and Mancuso have to start on the WC at 15? Did not work for others. WE have a friend who was the toped ranked skier in the country in ALL FOUR events at about 16. The USST sent him to race Europa Cups at 17. It was a disaster for many reasons. First of all 17 year olds who are skiing better than 22-23 year olds who they are supposed to be teammate with is a bad recipe. Not cozy. He quit the sport. Now a great coach, knowing how kids should be handled.

A number of good minds working on this. There will be a big turnover of USST staff their spring, I believe. This is job 1B for the USST. Job 1A is raising more money.

This is going to be an ugly few years soon. LV will retire, and right now, who knows how she stacks up. Mancuso is done. Resi is probably done after this season. And topped out. You have MS, and others on the rise. Ligety is a step away from retirement. Coudunsky is not quite there, and my bet is that he'll retire soon. Tommy Ford? Often injured. Nyman? Oldest guy on the team. New dad. Is it time? Ganong? With a couple of changes, he could be just exceptional. Like frequent podiums. AW? pretty much in the twilight. Not very consistent. I'm going off the top of my head. Probably missing somebody.

At any rate, the cupboard will be bare, and the things to watch, to be encouraged is how the younger guys and girls do relative to their age group peers. And we might have a couple just rocket ahead.

Not sure if this fits with this thread, BTW.

Guess it might have to do with questions about whether Ligety will adapt to 30M skis faster than others. I would say a resounding NO. Hopefully his back is good. Reports are that it is, but backs are tricky. Hopefully the new skis will be easier on his body. When he had the high breakthrough on the 35M skis, no doubt he worked on them earlier and as much or more than others. There was serious concern that he would not be able to replicate his arc to arc fluid skiing. And he really could not.....skis too big for the curse sets. BUT, he looked a lot better than most others. The reason? He had much better skis than anybody else. Much. Took others a long time to catch up. Some ski companies never did. Maybe they'll have more luck with the new skis.

Oh well.....

Last edited:

DVL

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Love this thread... A few months ago I bought for myself a pair of Racetigers 196cm, 35m (2014/2015). Has anyone present tried to free-ski on them? Please pardon me if these are a completely st*pid questions: Does anyone have a comparison between the Volkl 35m (preferably the late ones) and the mainstream ones, like for example the HEADs, Rossignols... ? Talking about the 35m GS skis, are there even any big or important differences in the skis behavior and performance across the brands worth mentioning in the first place? If there are, what are the Volkl ones typical of? Hoping you don't mind ...

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Love this thread... A few months ago I bought for myself a pair of Racetigers 196cm, 35m (2014/2015). Has anyone present tried to free-ski on them? Please pardon me if these are a completely st*pid questions: Does anyone have a comparison between the Volkl 35m (preferably the late ones) and the mainstream ones, like for example the HEADs, Rossignols... ? Talking about the 35m GS skis, are there even any big or important differences in the skis behavior and performance across the brands worth mentioning in the first place? If there are, what are the Volkl ones typical of? Hoping you don't mind ...

already very well covered and discussed in this thread if you would bother to take the time to read through it. See my posts #10, 15, 30 & 41. They all ski pretty similarly, unless you have FIS GS points below 25, you are unlikely to notice differences between brands .....

DVL

Skier
already very well covered and discussed in this thread if you would bother to take the time to read through it. See my posts #10, 15, 30 & 41. They all ski pretty similarly, unless you have FIS GS points below 25, you are unlikely to notice differences between brands .....

I read whole this thread multiple times earlier including the second one you're reffering to and tons of others and didn't find answers to my questions - that is why I dared to ask... And evidently made you upset, for which I apologize. But anyway, thank you for your response. There is only a few mentions about the Racetigers - some say those are more suitable for lighter weights (softer = easier to bend), which I'm definetely not with my 110kgs... I had an opportunity to buy HEADs and decided to go for Volkl. Just wanted to know if given my weight I should rather go for the HEADs. But I think I got your point, so nevermind.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I had an opportunity to buy HEADs and decided to go for Volkl. Just wanted to know if given my weight I should rather go for the HEADs. But I think I got your point, so nevermind.

Enjoy them and welcome to the forum. Exciting follow-up photos of gear in use are always welcome :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@DVL Welcome. I hope you find your answers.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
They all ski pretty similarly, unless you have FIS GS points below 25, you are unlikely to notice differences between brands .....
Personally I don't really agree with that. There's been ages since I had any FIS points, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get below 25 now no matter what I would do, but I can still feel difference between brands :) I can't say for Volkl, but there's actually quite big difference between for example Fischer and Rossi. Fischer feels like train on rails and once set on edge, it just goes, while Rossi on the other side is not so stable, but it's way faster getting it off the edge and into the opposite turn. But I agree, neither of these will hinder your skiing, unless you are 0.01sec from World cup victory :)
But what I think is bigger deal then different brands, is year or production. Earlier development of skis was not all that great through the years. I'm not saying there wasn't any, but there really wasn't all that much change between skis from 2005 and 2007 for example. After 35m rule was introduced, development really went forward in big steps, and I had luck to actually got World cup skis in my hands that were just out of press, and I could actually see how new model compared to 2 months older model, and honestly, there were bigger steps in 1 or 2 months then before in 5 years. So 2014 ski of one company would be waaay different then 2017 ski of same company, much more different then 2017 skis of two different companies. And for me personally, later date skis are, better they ski. First 35m skis, those from winter when 27m rule was still active, were basically 27m skis with 35m radius and they felt awful. Today's, or actually 2017, as today's are 30m, 35m skis regardless of company are light years ahead of 2014 skis, again regardless of company, and honestly they ski way better then 27m skis ever did. So for freeskiing 35m ski, read what I wrote earlier in this thread ;)

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Very interesting thread, but you guys have it all wrong. The ski bargain came when they made all the old 21m skis obsolete. Mukeski found me a nice pair of those nearly free. Now that's a good ski for free skiing. Lay'em over and let the ski do the work!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally I don't really agree with that. There's been ages since I had any FIS points, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get below 25 now no matter what I would do, but I can still feel difference between brands :) I can't say for Volkl, but there's actually quite big difference between for example Fischer and Rossi. Fischer feels like train on rails and once set on edge, it just goes, while Rossi on the other side is not so stable, but it's way faster getting it off the edge and into the opposite turn. But I agree, neither of these will hinder your skiing, unless you are 0.01sec from World cup victory :)
But what I think is bigger deal then different brands, is year or production. Earlier development of skis was not all that great through the years. I'm not saying there wasn't any, but there really wasn't all that much change between skis from 2005 and 2007 for example. After 35m rule was introduced, development really went forward in big steps, and I had luck to actually got World cup skis in my hands that were just out of press, and I could actually see how new model compared to 2 months older model, and honestly, there were bigger steps in 1 or 2 months then before in 5 years. So 2014 ski of one company would be waaay different then 2017 ski of same company, much more different then 2017 skis of two different companies. And for me personally, later date skis are, better they ski. First 35m skis, those from winter when 27m rule was still active, were basically 27m skis with 35m radius and they felt awful. Today's, or actually 2017, as today's are 30m, 35m skis regardless of company are light years ahead of 2014 skis, again regardless of company, and honestly they ski way better then 27m skis ever did. So for freeskiing 35m ski, read what I wrote earlier in this thread ;)

good points Primoz, the later skis definitely improved. And of course as we have discussed previously, lateral stiffness is not usually a good thing in these skis - one reason the Heads were so successful, they went softer before anyone else - these are NOT old school 210s. And while your FIS points may not be below 25, you are certainly one of the very few on this site who would be able to discern the differences :thumb:

DVL

Skier
I can't say for Volkl, but there's actually quite big difference between for example Fischer and Rossi. Fischer feels like train on rails and once set on edge, it just goes, while Rossi on the other side is not so stable, but it's way faster getting it off the edge and into the opposite turn. But I agree, neither of these will hinder your skiing, unless you are 0.01sec from World cup victory :)

So far I did not find a single detailed review of any model of Racetigers 35m. According to how you describe the difference between the Fisher and Rossi, I would definetely prefer the "feels like train on rails" skis rather than faster or whatever. And that's what worries me when I'm reading about Volkl skis (commercial GS ones) being soft and suitable for lightweights given my high weight (and the fact I had an opportunity to buy the HEADs instead). I don't doubt that they will be fine for my freeskiing, but I just wanted to know something more about them compared to others, because an excellent stability and edge grip is exactly what I'm looking for and I wanted to have those that are the best at it (or close to be the best at it). As far as I know, Volkl is claimed to be really good at it in general but the "soft and easy to bend" thing about it somehow doesn't fit it for me and slightly worries me with regards to my weight. - hopefully it won't ruin it much. I will let you guys know about my experience with them after, although I won't have a comparison with any other of the 35m ones.

Last edited:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't doubt that they will be fine for my freeskiing, but I just wanted to know something more about them compared to others, because an excellent stability and edge grip is exactly what I'm looking for and I wanted to have those that are the best at it (or close to be the best at it).

A FIS GS ski is going to have superior stability and edge grip compared to just about any other ski (probable exceptions being a SG or DH race ski). I wouldn't worry about the relative merits of one brand vs. another for freeskiing unless you happen to know that you prefer the feel of one vs. another.

Reactions: DVL

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I would guess that you will wish for a stiffer harder to bend ski about 5 percent of the time, you will be glad you have the easy to bend 35 m ski 60 percent of the time and you won't care the other 35 percent of the time. If you find that 5 percent of the time is more important, you can always trade up.

Sponsor