• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What skis would you demo this Sunday in Vail

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not familiar with Vail but for bumps I found Volkl Blaze 94 to be very comfortable. Another option would be Dynastar M-Free 90 or maybe 99, depending on snow depth.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I disagree with the sr and that the skis won't make a difference .
Unless you have like a race background, the freeride focused skis with more significant tail rocker are going to be easier to ski and more fun.
The intermediate level skills on an sr in deeper snow will suffer from being locked in by the flat tail and will be fighting against it.
But how will the new shorter tip do in mashed & spring slush? Or will the tail rocker offset that?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@David - 2018‘ish Plaid top sheets (first year after the carbon insert ones). I bought the 2023 Blue ones as a “replacement “, skied once and sold them. Not the same. Found a second pair NOS of the plaid ones.

whole thread in here on them “Stormrider first impressions“ or something - read post #21.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
@David - 2018‘ish Plaid top sheets (first year after the carbon insert ones). I bought the 2023 Blue ones as a “replacement “, skied once and sold them. Not the same. Found a second pair NOS of the plaid ones.

whole thread in here on them “Stormrider first impressions“ or something - read post #21.
I've seen a lot of posts in the past about them but I'm getting nothing when I search anymore. I really just need to find a way to demo this years in crud.

TS
S

Snookit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So it’s been a great week in Vail I skied the Rustler 10 , Qst92 and Rustler 9

I really liked the rustler 9 for my skill level and the terrain I liked

we spent one day riping groomers where I probably would have enjoyed something else but the rustler still handled everything I could give it

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So it’s been a great week in Vail I skied the Rustler 10 , Qst92 and Rustler 9

I really liked the rustler 9 for my skill level and the terrain I liked

we spent one day riping groomers where I probably would have enjoyed something else but the rustler still handled everything I could give it
Find any trees you liked? ogsmile

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Trees are not easy. You have to be confident in your turns. Start on terrain that is not too steep and with good spacing between the trees. Best if the bumps are on the smaller size and enough fresh snow to control your speed easily.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not do a lot of trees I need more practice. I’m going back in March any suggestions for easier tree runs ?
At Vail? Mainly the ones I mentioned in post #16. They're not really beginner trees though, depending on conditions.

I don't do a ton of trees myself, so may not know some of the easier runs there. Maybe someone else does... or ask in the Colorado thread.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not do a lot of trees I need more practice. I’m going back in March any suggestions for easier tree runs ?
If you have kids, many of the Kids Adventure Zones throughout the mountain are probably the easiest intro to trees at Vail. Other trees: from PHQ (at the top of chairs 4, 5, 11) go down Swingsville like you’re going to ski Riva Ridge. The trees on skier’s left of the trail are pretty gentle and you can easily get back onto Swingsville if needed. In BSB The trees left and right of Grand Review, the Star and Cloud 9/Big Rock Park are easy to duck into and out of.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is a learning progession to trees.
You can start with trees that are the edge where you can poke in and out and go around. Then move onto glades and work your way up.

IMO, It is best if you have a ski buddy who knows how to ski trees to lead and pick the line, both easy enough that you can ski it, but interesting enough so they pick the complex way through and you don't waste the run, so you are challenged and get practice. More than half the trick is the mental energy to pick a line and avoid target fixation.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The trees on skier’s left of the trail are pretty gentle and you can easily get back onto Swingsville if needed.
You’ll be essentially skiing across the entrances to Whistle Pig, Sliffer Express, Cappucino, etc so make sure come out of the trees slowly and look to your right and behind you as you ski across the entrances to those runs.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I disagree with the sr and that the skis won't make a difference .
Unless you have like a race background, the freeride focused skis with more significant tail rocker are going to be easier to ski and more fun.
The intermediate level skills on an sr in deeper snow will suffer from being locked in by the flat tail and will be fighting against it.
Agree.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
Try Völkl Kendos at some point in the future. They're great for steeps, trees, and moguls, or all of the above, all at once. I ride J-Skis Fasforwards, and they're notably similar.

Sponsor

Staff online