• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What skis would you demo this Sunday in Vail

Snookit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m headed to vail for a week , first day skiing is Sun. It looks like they will get some snow so conditions will be way different than my last trip in December .
I'm 5’9’’ 160 lbs 48 year old intermediate /advanced. Level 7 if that means anything. Want to get more comfortable in the bumps and trees/glades. I just started trying to ski bumps and trees on my last trip out at Christmas time. I skied stockli stormrider 95s that trip. They were good for the lack of snow and great on groomed runs.

I’m Looking for something more suited to the terrain I want to improve on. I have 3 days of group lessons planned which should help also.

What skis would you recommend I Demo given the expected conditions and terrain I am trying to improve on?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What did you not like about the SR95’s? Pretty solid choice, you could do worse.
1706666448276.png

That's a good ski, IMO, for working on bumps and trees, while still enjoying other terrain. And should work well in the soft stuff for you!

AllGoodDays

Love to turn 'em!
Skier
Could be the light tip on that SR95. I loved the damp smooth ski but that tip is just too light! No idea if this is what the user wants but maybe a more damp ski would be helpful. Many many options. Check out the ski reviews here and elsewhere. I'd ask more "where do you ski mostly: what kind of conditions are most common" if you're looking for one ski to do it all for you.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Could be the light tip on that SR95. I loved the damp smooth ski but that tip is just too light! No idea if this is what the user wants but maybe a more damp ski would be helpful. Many many options. Check out the ski reviews here and elsewhere. I'd ask more "where do you ski mostly: what kind of conditions are most common" if you're looking for one ski to do it all for you.
Well he said this:

Want to get more comfortable in the bumps and trees/glades. I just started trying to ski bumps and trees on my last trip out at Christmas time.

I’m Looking for something more suited to the terrain I want to improve on.

And Vail is supposed to get 10" Saturday and 5" Sunday. So I'm presuming some nice chopped up soft stuff and soft bumps. I've skied my SR95's at Vail in exactly those conditions and thought they were great, personally. But everyone's MMV of course.

Stuff at Vail like these:

Vail 040723 104 ACR Conv.jpg
Vail 040723 105 ACR Conv.jpg
Vail 040723 128 ACR Conv.jpg

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic Maverick line 88,95 or 100 depending on conditions. Light powerful ski, good all round. Fairly impressed with them every time I get a chance to ski them. Surprised they don’t get more love on this site.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
It does matter what vintage the SR95’s are. But I’ll stand by “its a solid choice“
Mine are super damp, smash crud and float really well. They are not super demanding to ski well. Stay forward and it all works out.

what are the choices ?

TS
S

Snookit

Skier
There really were not any problems with the storm riders. I was just wondering if there was something better for learning bumps and Trees/glades. I was skiing the storm riders in 176 I’m 5’9’’,should I size down if I rent them again.

Other skis I can demo. Rustler 9 , Rustler 10 , Nordica enforcers, K2mindbenders , salmon QST 98

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
The beauty of demoing is that you can always swap out a ski that you don’t like. I don’t have any specific suggestion, but I’d recommend trying something other than the SR95 on your first day. Try as many different skis as you can! If you don’t like them, you can always go back to the SR. Then you’ll know.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Seems right for the Stockli’s

newer versions are a bit softer. I like enforcers, - but that’s me, most of my skis have a bit of metal.

What is your most comfortable area @ Vail to ski - might provide insight on a ski. Ie. Do you look for the groomed patches in the back or just ski down to Orient from Two Elk?

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would not discount the rustlers or mindbender 89ti, especially if as you say you wanted to work on tighter offpiste.

Especially as a demo and this is just short term, you aren't committed to buying them

TS
S

Snookit

Skier
Seems right for the Stockli’s

newer versions are a bit softer. I like enforcers, - but that’s me, most of my skis have a bit of metal.

What is your most comfortable area @ Vail to ski - might provide insight on a ski. Ie. Do you look for the groomed patches in the back or just ski down to Orient from Two Elk?
I’m comfortable on any groomed run I want to focus on bumps and trees this trip. I like champagne glade but found it very challenging my last 2 trips to vail.

I know more practice is the answer to get more comfortable but I’m sure some skis, ski that terrain better then others for somebody at my ski levell

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There really were not any problems with the storm riders. I was just wondering if there was something better for learning bumps and Trees/glades. I was skiing the storm riders in 176 I’m 5’9’’,should I size down if I rent them again.

Other skis I can demo. Rustler 9 , Rustler 10 , Nordica enforcers, K2mindbenders , salmon QST 98
Personally, I think you could size down. My husband is 5'11 ish and weighs about 180 and he skis the 176 in that ski. In any case, if you demo on the mountain, you can always switch out a ski if you don't like the length. It's good to experiment. Shorter is better in the bumps but not as good in deepish powder.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sure some skis, ski that terrain better then others for somebody at my ski levell
Yes, but I'm guessing that at your level (which doesn't sound far from my level) it's MUCH more about technique IMO, once you're on many of the skis mentioned so far.

Personally, I tend to have problems getting defensive, which means getting back, which of course just makes it harder to turn.

Some suggested areas I've liked if there's nice snow are Faro/Ouzo glades, Yonder Trees (skier's left of "Over Yonder" in Sun Up bowl), and Hornsilver and Champagne glades in BSB.

or just the run within view of the demo tents?
I'm assuming this is regular demo rentals, not a demo day with tents.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I disagree with the sr and that the skis won't make a difference .
Unless you have like a race background, the freeride focused skis with more significant tail rocker are going to be easier to ski and more fun.
The intermediate level skills on an sr in deeper snow will suffer from being locked in by the flat tail and will be fighting against it.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I’m comfortable on any groomed run I want to focus on bumps and trees this trip. I like champagne glade but found it very challenging my last 2 trips to vail.

I know more practice is the answer to get more comfortable but I’m sure some skis, ski that terrain better then others for somebody at my ski levell

roger that. As @dbostedo mentions above - all great places - you can lap Chair 9 w/o too much downside. I like Shangrai-La under 21. Trees have nice spacing pitch Is nice.

@raytseng - the stockli’s tail has some kick, not really rockered though. Pretty easy to ski if you keep your shins on the tongue. But, yes, not really a heel pusher ski at its best use.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rustler 9

As an owner of a Rustler 10, I would say yes, definitely a Rustler 9. :) (I've found the extra width of the 10s didn't serve for the days I had them out.)

I would not discount the rustlers or mindbender 89ti, especially if as you say you wanted to work on tighter offpiste.

The MB88/89ti has been long on my shortlist. Though I've never skied it, I'm pretty sure it's great for this type of off piste work.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
It does matter what vintage the SR95’s are. But I’ll stand by “its a solid choice“
Mine are super damp, smash crud and float really well. They are not super demanding to ski well. Stay forward and it all works out.

what are the choices ?
What year are your 95's? I want a pair for mashed & spring crud and haven't been able to find this years yet and the light tip makes me wonder. Found some good deals on last years though.

Sponsor