• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Both Loveland and Arapahoe Basin are hinting that they could open any day now.
Question: Do they typically try to open on a Friday or Saturday?

Just wondering since this coming Friday is the 13th.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Both Loveland and Arapahoe Basin are hinting that they could open any day now.
Question: Do they typically try to open on a Friday or Saturday?

Just wondering since this coming Friday is the 13th.

A-Basin opened on a Friday last year, but Thursday in 2015. Loveland has opened on Thursday the last two seasons I think.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'll take A-Basin for this Saturday, and Loveland for next Thursday.

I haven't seen any videos or photos of lower Home Run which is historically Luvs last spot to get blown and hardest to cover...

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WHAATTTT?

It could be a bad omen to start a season on Friday the 13th. :philgoat: Leads to :crutches:

I’d wait till Saturday :daffy:

A couple of years ago an employee requested Friday March 13th off to go skiing. I approved it with a joking caution that maybe she shouldn't ski on Friday the 13th. She blew her ACL and had micro fractures of her femur.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A couple of years ago an employee requested Friday March 13th off to go skiing. I approved it with a joking caution that maybe she shouldn't ski on Friday the 13th. She blew her ACL and had micro fractures of her femur.

OMG, that is terrible. Obviously just coincidental as I am not a believer in Friday the 13th type lore.

I of course was joking.

I wish everyone who ski this Friday fun and safety

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OMG, that is terrible. Obviously just coincidental as I am not a believer in Friday the 13th type lore.

I of course was joking.

I wish everyone who ski this Friday fun and safety

Oh me too. But to this day I tease her (she no longer reports to me) about how I warned her about skiing on Friday the 13th.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was thinking that (perhaps) starting the season off on Friday the 13th may jinx the whole season. :decisions:

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
A friend of mine told me that A-Basin is pushing around snow as we speak. Sounds like they have enough snow to open now. Wouldn't be surprised to get an announcement later in the day.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend of mine told me that A-Basin is pushing around snow as we speak. Sounds like they have enough snow to open now. Wouldn't be surprised to get an announcement later in the day.

upload_2017-10-10_11-14-31.png

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll take A-Basin for this Saturday, and Loveland for next Thursday.

I haven't seen any videos or photos of lower Home Run which is historically Luvs last spot to get blown and hardest to cover...

Sorta ...

basin00001-jpg.31314

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I vote Mt Hood

On October 7, Timberline becomes the first ski resort in North America to open for the 2017/2018 season.
Timberline is pleased to announce it will be opening Palmer Snowfield on weekends for skiing and snowboarding starting Oct. 7 and 8 (weather permitting) for advanced skiers and snowboarders. Get your 2017/2018 Timberline Season Pass and start using it this weekend!

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/news

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
On October 7, Timberline becomes the first ski resort in North America to open for the 2017/2018 season.
Timberline is pleased to announce it will be opening Palmer Snowfield on weekends for skiing and snowboarding starting Oct. 7 and 8 (weather permitting) for advanced skiers and snowboarders. Get your 2017/2018 Timberline Season Pass and start using it this weekend!

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/news

Every year someone posts this.... They are always open expect for a few weeks in Sept for lift maintenance. It's not really a race to blow snow and open when you already have a glacier.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Every year someone posts this.... They are always open expect for a few weeks in Sept for lift maintenance. It's not really a race to blow snow and open when you already have a glacier.

It is when the glacier only extends to about half way to the bottom of the lift, and the rest requires natural snow to fill in.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
It is when the glacier only extends to about half way to the bottom of the lift, and the rest requires natural snow to fill in.

Don't they have a mid-station?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I read a rumor from a solid source (cough) @dondenver (cough) that a friend/ski patroller for Loveland may or may not have been asked if he was able to work Thursday.
...maybe. I think.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Well I was at the top of Jackson Hole in Mid June and Corbetts still looked skiable for about a thousand feet of vert.. So are they cheating too? What about Mammoth? They're practically a glacier too.

Sponsor

Staff online