• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Well I was at the top of Jackson Hole in Mid June and Corbetts still looked skiable for about a thousand feet of vert.. So are they cheating too? What about Mammoth? They're practically a glacier too.

Wouldn't June count as last season?

I put Timberline in a different category. Like if you're having a discussion about hockey greats, you have to leave Wayne Gretzky on the side, while acknowledging he's the greatest, for the sake of even having a discussion.

I'll say that A-basin will be the first non-glaciated ski area to open

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't they have a mid-station?

Mid station requires that the rope be dropped from tower sheaves in to the mid-station. This is only done during the summer. Usually when they close up ops in September the rope is put back up on the higher sheaves as the mid station gets completely buried during the winter. And when Palmer opens up for lift operations in the spring it is usually still buried.

Most people don't know that Palmer doesn't operate in the deep winter months due to the complexity in de-icing the lift.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Most people don't know that Palmer doesn't operate in the deep winter months due to the complexity in de-icing the lift.

Yea, I could see that

palmer.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Loveland conceded the victory to A-Basin. LL always has the issue of getting enough coverage on the long runout to the lift (Home Run)

MaCC

Booting up
Skier
Looks like A-Basin is going to open this Friday the 13th :daffy:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK who will be first in Mid West, North East, and Mid Atlantic? I vote Buck Hill in Midwest, Killington in Northeast, and Appalachian in Midatlantic..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington seems likely... for Mid-Atlantic, we're including New York now, right? Do any of those resorts try to open early? Hunter? Whiteface? Holiday Valley or Peek 'n' Peak if they get some early lake effect?

App seems like good bet though since they can get open quicker than others with some cold weather.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I put Timberline in a different category.
Yes and no. When it closes Labor Day the bottom third(?) of Palmer is a WROD of snow rebuilt every night like some of the chair approaches and exits we had at Mammoth in July/August. Also, in the worst seasons (2005 and 2015) Palmer runs out of adequate snow before Labor Day.

Therefore I think an October opening of Palmer requires some new natural snow. And perhaps after a good year like 2017 it doesn't require quite as much new snow.

Locals can tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's routine for Timberline to reopen this early.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes and no. When it closes Labor Day the bottom third(?) of Palmer is a WROD of snow rebuilt every night like some of the chair approaches and exits we had at Mammoth in July/August. Also, in the worst seasons (2005 and 2015) Palmer runs out of adequate snow before Labor Day.

Therefore I think an October opening of Palmer requires some new natural snow. And perhaps after a good year like 2017 it doesn't require quite as much new snow.

Locals can tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's routine for Timberline to reopen this early.

This year is probably atypical. Though early November some years has allowed for a Palmer opening. Quite honestly most years we pretty much skip a Palmer opening altogether and go right in to a full(ish) opening.

Here is Palmer in 2015:

Palmer_Sept24.jpg

And this is September after a big snow year:

Timberline.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Killington seems likely... for Mid-Atlantic, we're including New York now, right?
Hahaha, NOPE! New York has always been solidly New England and north east. I don't care what the new multi passes say.. Heck, Afton Alps Minnesota is now Western Rockies according to their pass.. So is Stowe.

Sponsor

Staff online