• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shaggy's comes out with a new ski

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We own 5 pairs so far. Wife is on her second pair of Medora 95's if that tells you anything about how much she likes them. I never quite got along with the Ahmeek 95's I first got so I replaced them this season with the new Mohawk 98 which is so far been giving me slightly narrower vibes of the Fischer Ranger 102fr I had a couple years back. Still haven't skied them much cause we've been blessed with a ton of well timed snow storms. Last I have the Ahmeek 115's with a custom layup and they have been absolute fantastic as a powder and crud ski. They make me feel like I'm in a ski movie. From our experiance, I would say that the bulk of their skis are on par with the big brands but they do have a bit of a unique feel.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
We own 5 pairs so far. Wife is on her second pair of Medora 95's if that tells you anything about how much she likes them. I never quite got along with the Ahmeek 95's I first got so I replaced them this season with the new Mohawk 98 which is so far been giving me slightly narrower vibes of the Fischer Ranger 102fr I had a couple years back. Still haven't skied them much cause we've been blessed with a ton of well timed snow storms. Last I have the Ahmeek 115's with a custom layup and they have been absolute fantastic as a powder and crud ski. They make me feel like I'm in a ski movie. From our experiance, I would say that the bulk of their skis are on par with the big brands but they do have a bit of a unique feel.
Maybe what they call the camber pockets is part of that feel? They sure can set an edge compared to other soft snow and crud friendly skis I've had and tried. I realize that applies to an Ahmeek models maybe more than the new Fun Carver and Mohawk models.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We own 5 pairs so far.

Is that enough for a new "never ending" thread?! ;)

Seriously, the Fun Carver still piques my interest (in a 180, please).

Seems I always want my 88 to be a little carvier. Succeeded in the realm by moving from the Enforcer to Rossi Exp 86ti, but wouldn't mind even a bit more carviness.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seems I always want my 88 to be a little carvier. Succeeded in the realm by moving from the Enforcer to Rossi Exp 86ti, but wouldn't mind even a bit more carviness.
Lusti CWR87?

RUBBERDUCK

Booting up
Skier
Tell us about the Brockway 80, performance wise? Compare it to other skis if you can?
Very light. Stiff. hard tail. they want to turn and lay trenches. They are fun. A carving ski and more. Makes skiing ice fun. The camber pockets work, not a gimmic. like triple camber. It is a serious ski. If you are doing something wrong, it will tell you. The bull nose will give you confidence to aim and bust thru anything. I retired a pair of K2 Pinnacle 88s. And those were fast, these are better.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The camber pockets definitely contribute to the unique feel. Never had a ski feel locked into a turn from just behind the heel but then still release the tail easily, the Ahmeek 95 had a lot of that feel but I attribute part of that to my boots. I've been having boot issues for the last couple years and the Lupo HD pros I have are just too upright, spent 3 years figuring that out. I couldn't really get around that feeling.. so I retired them this year. Spent a good 15 minutes on the phone with a couple different people at Shaggys talking about the issues I had and we came to the conclusion that I just am more suited for a more "traditional directional" ski when I'm in the 90-100 range. So I got the Mohawk 98 in a 180 and while I haven't gotten more than a few runs on it, it's fitting me much better so far. On the flip side from the Ahmeek 95, the Ahmeek 115 has the rocker lines moved much closer to the binding mount and seems to benefits from the camber pockets more as it has less effective edge. It seems to have come out just about perfect for what I was looking for in that ski. I had them build it from the standard ash/poplar core but added nanomag and heavier fiberglass layup, was aiming for a ski to take to Alyeska primarily as we usually make the trip once or twice a season..

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
The camber pockets definitely contribute to the unique feel. Never had a ski feel locked into a turn from just behind the heel but then still release the tail easily, the Ahmeek 95 had a lot of that feel but I attribute part of that to my boots. I've been having boot issues for the last couple years and the Lupo HD pros I have are just too upright, spent 3 years figuring that out. I couldn't really get around that feeling.. so I retired them this year. Spent a good 15 minutes on the phone with a couple different people at Shaggys talking about the issues I had and we came to the conclusion that I just am more suited for a more "traditional directional" ski when I'm in the 90-100 range. So I got the Mohawk 98 in a 180 and while I haven't gotten more than a few runs on it, it's fitting me much better so far. On the flip side from the Ahmeek 95, the Ahmeek 115 has the rocker lines moved much closer to the binding mount and seems to benefits from the camber pockets more as it has less effective edge. It seems to have come out just about perfect for what I was looking for in that ski. I had them build it from the standard ash/poplar core but added nanomag and heavier fiberglass layup, was aiming for a ski to take to Alyeska primarily as we usually make the trip once or twice a season..
The Fun Carver of this topic and Mohawk were definitely more traditional feeling as much as the former is not like a lot of skis.

My Ahmeeks are 105s. The maybe strange but works thing is having a short but very effective carving and hard stuff ski near your bindings same time it is fantastic to bash into crud and a for me among best ever soft snow skis. I advised my daughter not yet so used to it to look at her skis like a multi-tool.

A trip two weeks ago had me take two pairs of skis. Now my mind set is I'll take fat bike and the Ahmeeks before two pairs of skis on a getaway.

Keeping close to topic, I aimed both sizes of the Fun Carver at as much soft and crud as was there. They were very confidence inspiring for how much carve and skate they had in them.

Sponsor

Staff online