• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shaggy's comes out with a new ski

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Could be an interesting model for the midwest.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those would go great with my ski pants!
C527780E-C78B-4A08-82CF-4033C07A0D9A.jpg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reminds me a bit of what the Ramp Shebang? looked like. Big tip, narrow waisted short radius ski. I might get a pair for next season.. depends on what the ski budget looks like as all I really need to buy is a 100ish ski again.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Line Blade was my first thought too.
Cool top-sheet, that creates visual motion. :thumb:

For those interested in optical-fun, this site has many visual & optical phenomena along with scientific explanations. I can waste hours looking at these.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Reminds me a bit of what the Ramp Shebang? looked like. Big tip, narrow waisted short radius ski. I might get a pair for next season.. depends on what the ski budget looks like as all I really need to buy is a 100ish ski again.

Don't, Don't, Don't curse any untried ski by comparing it to the Shabang.

That thing was an abomination. If they had stiffened the flex at the shovel AND eased the shovel sidecut into the waist AND given the tail more authority, they might have had a mediocre intermediate ski. Except their own Frenzy was MILES better in that role.

Hoping the new Shaggy is way more sorted than that ...thing that crawled out of RAMPs idea swamp.

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Forgot to mention, when we were in Tahoe a couple of weeks ago we saw a pair of Shaggy's in the rack at one of the resorts. A little touch of home.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Forgot to mention, when we were in Tahoe a couple of weeks ago we saw a pair of Shaggy's in the rack at one of the resorts. A little touch of home.
It wasn't one of ours but there are a few I have seen too.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
They producing decent custom skis. But $800?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
They producing decent custom skis. But $800?

Isn't that about standard MSRP these days for a ski?

I'm a summer time ski bargain hunter kinda shopper. I love a bargin, and I don't give a damn about having the newest top sheet!

I've only seen a couple of Shaggy's skis in real life, and the people riding them weren't very inspiring(but that means nothing about the ski). They were totally beautiful looking ski, but I pretty much give zero cares about the looks of a ski. To me a ski is a tool that Im going to hammer on until it breaks, which never is more than 2 seasons. If those dudes in Michigan can pump out a ski that is exactly what I would want and I can get two full seasons out of it, $800 is well worth it.

I'd like to give them a try, but I see it as a gamble vs buying another pair of mantra 102's on sale for $400 something in July..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Intriguing to me, for sure. Questions:

1. Mount point?

2. 174 only?

I've ridden the lift with two sets of Yoopers on Shaggy's this season. I also found their skiing uninspiring.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I'd like to give them a try, but I see it as a gamble vs buying another pair of mantra 102's on sale for $400 something in July..
Buying boutique skis does typically take a leap of faith and requires one to open up the wallet more.

The mantras are great skis. You save $400 at the expense as not being looking as cool as rocking a pair of Moment Wildcats :)

MTU2002

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Intriguing to me, for sure. Questions:

1. Mount point?

2. 174 only?

I've ridden the lift with two sets of Yoopers on Shaggy's this season. I also found their skiing uninspiring.
Mount point is listed on the link. And it was also a pre-production early run. I would assume they'll have more sizes for next season.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mount point is listed on the link. And it was also a pre-production early run. I would assume they'll have more sizes for next season.

Thanks, didn't make it far enough down the page.

At -9.5 cm a thoroughly classic directional ski.

Very intrigued.........we'll see what the full production model run brings.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
They make about 1500 pairs of skis a year now. Their quality is pretty good.

I know my kid is pounding the crap out of the Ahmeek 95 all over the Canyons, Park City, and Deer Valley with good results. It's just another ski company that people like or dislike. :)

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
I tried these last week when the Shaggy's demo tour was near me. The 168 were the production graphics and 174s I think the prototype or a custom graphic.

They were a whole lot of fun but my current interests are not a front side ski and my aging Fischer Watea are plenty fine for when new to me wide twin tip freeride style are a bother or inappropriate. They have some fun/crud/versatile feel over a more racy type ski. They will definitely be considered if or when I want to replace the Fischer Watea 84s.

Regarding the pricing and Shaggy's comments. The market is very different now than a short while ago. There's far more available. Popular brands were only sold at list price if available where now they have lower prices. Several trusted associates have a lot of time with older and newer Shaggy's skis all trusting the build quality and capabilities. When I bought Ahmeek 105 for me and Medora 95 for my daughter they were priced between stuff made of Chinesium and more exotic stuff. The actual Shaggy's family (Jeff, John, Sherri) were very helpful in pre-sales.

The market has changed a lot in only months. Now I see skis that were more than some Shaggy's available for a little less but I have no regrets and feel the Ahmeek 105 model I chose is particularly good for my needs whether the ski itself or the price.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Saw a pair of Ahmeek 95's down here at Hidden Valley in Missouri last week. Owner was a bigger guy who said he liked them a lot. The top sheet does rock. As a midwest brand, it would be great if they brought a demo day down here, as it's just too hard to know if skis like this are worth the money at smaller resorts.

Sponsor

Staff online