• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Removing road salt from car mats

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kevin is right, in New England the mats are lucky if they get hosed down every two years. Better to wipe the door jambs and rockers if you're gona get picky. Run the car for 10 years and get a new one. Actually my brother has my 17 year old ranger which I used to wax like crazy before kids.

Never been to Loon.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
When my mats get grungy I just throw them on the driveway and hose them off. Leave them in the sun for a few hours and put them back in the car.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Kevin is right, in New England the mats are lucky if they get hosed down every two years. Better to wipe the door jambs and rockers if you're gona get picky. Run the car for 10 years and get a new one. Actually my brother has my 17 year old ranger which I used to wax like crazy before kids. .
Ski cars in the east can become rust buckets due to salt before 10 years. Doing car washes frequently in the winter will postpone this.
But you have to completely hose down (actually UP) the undercarriage.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tell me about it; you should see my plow truck which I washed religiously. A lot of it seems to have to do with good and bad years of metal used by car manufacturers. I've considered making a driveway undercarriage wash setup with some pipes and nozzles, but it's been on the back burner for a while.

Ski cars in the east can become rust buckets due to salt before 10 years. Doing car washes frequently in the winter will postpone this.
But you have to completely hose down (actually UP) the undercarriage.
'

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The last brushless car wash with a drive in undercarriage wash I knew of nearby shut down a couple years ago. Used to drive in REALLY s...l....o...w... when entering with the jets blasting up. Now, everything else I see has stuff that looks like it wouldn't play well with my ski box so I just bend and stoop and spray the uderside best I can..

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
When you pull into the car wash bay, there are big aluminum clips that say MAT on them. Hook the mat into the mat hook and blast away. Works better with a weather tech or rubber floor mat than carpet because those dont hold water, but it works for everything.

Sponsor