• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Removing road salt from car mats

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
I enjoy these videos even if I don't have time to practice what Larry preaches...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thats a great tip. Thanks for posting.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Seems like a lot of work for cleaning something that's going to get dirty again the next time I walk outside...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seems like a lot of work for cleaning something that's going to get dirty again the next time I walk outside...
Some people say "why wax or tune a ski, they are just going to get dull again". There are people who are more anal about their floor mats than most are here about their waxes.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, you need to let the mat dry "a day or 2" before putting back in the car. For the smell. Somehow I doubt detailers are calling their clients and telling them they can't have the car for two days while the mats dry.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Some people say "why wax or tune a ski, they are just going to get dull again". There are people who are more anal about their floor mats than most are here about their waxes.

However, to your point -- a well waxed / tuned ski will perform noticeably better than one that's in desperate need of some tender lovin' care. My car's engine, on the other hand, runs the same regardless of how much crap is embedded in the floor mats.

If somebody gets more enjoyment out of their car hobby by having a pristine interior, well, I'm not going to tell them what to do... I will recommend that they don't move to New England though. ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
:thumb:

That's why we need car quivers. The skiing and camping vehicle is a full contact vehicle. The only cosmetic maintenance done is to protect it and enhance the life span. The everyday car or Sunday cruising car gets the full detail and shine.

Think of your ski and beach and camping trip vehicle as your rock skis or daily driver and your cruising vessel as your POW or Race Day ski..

Also, this falls in to the ... ugh I got a scratch on my top sheet category if you asked me..

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Of the many ski areas in New Hampshire, two are fairly close to each other and could not be more different. One is Loon Mountain, the other is Cannon. Loon is a resort with all the usual amenities. Cannon is a ski area with nothing but a parking lot and a chairlift.

I've always said that at Loon, people take their skis out of their cars carefully to avoid damaging the car. At Cannon, people take their skis out of their cars carefully to avoid damaging the skis.

I'm thinking Loon skiers are the ones diligently cleaning their floor mats... Cannon skiers are the ones mystified why anybody would ever care what the floor mats look like.

Somehow in my mind this little tidbit seemed more relevant to this thread than it does now, but I've typed it all out, so I'm hitting "post reply" anyway. :thumb:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If somebody gets more enjoyment out of their car hobby by having a pristine interior, well, I'm not going to tell them what to do... I will recommend that they don't move to New England though. ;)

If somebody has a problem with salt in or on their car, they ought not move to the Salt Lake area either.

James

Out There
Instructor
Pumpernickel:
image.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I'm thinking the no-salt eco-friendly glop used around North Tahoe can be as bad as salt. It ate the numbers off my car tags (DMV charged to replace)
caused both front brakes to corrode strangely, and is not easy to wash off your car.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, WEATHERTECH front and back, cargo area liner too. When they get grimy hose'em off, apply a little scrub brush and soapy water and you'r good to go. they've worked well for us in Crested Butte winters for years now.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Weather Tech liners in my current vehicle and will put them in the next vehicle as well.

However, white vinegar actually neutralizes odors very nicely (I leave a dish of it in my kitchen after cooking things like fish) so if I did this I would end up putting these back in my vehicle while still wet to neutralize other odors while they dry. Leave windows open so the vinegar isn't overpowering but still helpful.