• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Mont Ste Anne Gondola Crash

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to be a lot of problems with that gondola.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
In the article they say it's not the same type of incident as before. But they had to close the resort as it's the only way up and down right now. Front side not open, only the back side. So gondy needed to get there and back.

CSIA event, training events for race groups.....not a good time, as if there ever is a good time...

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I learned of this from a Skiology Matt post on FB. The most interesting thing to me was learning - from a different piece he linked to - that there is broad local distrust of MSA operations, and support for a recent effort by Le Massif to buy the place.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can't remember is Massif still owned by Cirque de Soleil? If so deep pockets. MSA is currently part of RCR.
I'm not sure if he still owns it, but it was one of the founders of Cirque... who owned it and I believe he sold his interest in the Cirque thing a long time ago; like when he bought Le Massif. I could be wrong though I am too lazy to do a search. Yeah the guy has some very deep pockets...or used to anyway.

I've ridden that Gondola a bunch of times yikes! Last time was January 2020.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it's damn lucky there were no passengers at the time. It sounds like the club member skiers usually get to ride up before opening. That would have been tragic.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I can't remember is Massif still owned by Cirque de Soleil? If so deep pockets. MSA is currently part of RCR.
RCR=Resorts of the Canadian Rockies and owners of Fernie, Kicking Horse, Kimberly, Nakiska, in western Canada, and not known for being big spenders.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
RCR has not lived up to their agreement with the Quebec government regarding investment in the resort and the surrounding lands. I think the government is in the process of some legal proceedings. . I was there 2 years ago after being away since mid eighties. Not much had changed. They are in need of upgrades to a lot of the infrastructure. Maybe this will be the impetus to spend some money

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
RCR has not lived up to their agreement with the Quebec government regarding investment in the resort and the surrounding lands. I think the government is in the process of some legal proceedings. . I was there 2 years ago after being away since mid eighties. Not much had changed. They are in need of upgrades to a lot of the infrastructure. Maybe this will be the impetus to spend some money
^^^This doesn't surprise me because as I mentioned in a previous post, RCR does not like to spend $. Forcing RCR to invest in or sell Mount Saint Anne would be a positive move.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
OMG - that will make a lot of people happy. Warren Jobbitt is running a 4 day clinic that will not have to move to Massif. And the WC snowboard event will be able to happen.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even though Mont Ste Anne is the first place I ever skied (on an 8th grade school trip) and it is where my parents met, I will not ski that place as long as it is owned by RCR (Resorts of the Canadian Rockies) who just have too sketchy a reputation for me.

Unfortunately RCR also owns Fernie, Kicking Horse, and Kimberly, where I also won't ski; fortunately there are plenty of other great places to ski in the west.

Edd

Putting on skis
Skier
Can anyone tell me, if the gondola is down, how easy is it to ski all of the terrain (assuming other lifts are open)? I've only ever skied two days there years ago (great days). Looking at the trail map, it appears possible but hard to tell for sure, not being an expert on the place.

Their current trail count appears low. It's been a rough season in the east, but Quebec often makes out better than New England. Hoping the low trail count isn't because the gondy is down. Considering a trip up there late season.

Sponsor

Staff online