• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
NEPA is all now open.....

Elk
Taj
Camelback
Shawnee
JF/BB

My ski bud got 1st chair on opening day at Elk on Wed.....froze his ass off on that slower than death double chair all am.....:roflmao:.....but snow conditions were nice, soft, carvable all morning.....he said place was empty.

To bring up a sore subject concerning the previous mentioned Elk fence they put up at the Quad tailgating lot. The report was the gate was shut and locked as of Day 1 and 2. We are all interested to see what happens this weekend.

I am picking up my "shop" season passes this weekend......so I'll be out before Xmas....which is always a positive here in PA. Headed to Huntah for a Sunday dawn patrol this weekend!

Have a great season......Hope we all continue to use this thread to keep everyone updated on the ever changing conditions in PA.

Last edited:

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
NEPA is all now open.....

Elk
Taj
Camelback
Shawnee
JF/BB

My ski bud got 1st chair on opening day at Elk on Wed.....froze his ass off on that slower than death double chair all am.....:roflmao:.....but snow conditions were nice, soft, carvable all morning.....he said place was empty.

To bring up a sore subject concerning the previous mentioned Elk fence they put up at the Quad tailgating lot. The report was the gate was shut and locked as of Day 1 and 2. We are all interested to see what happens this weekend.

I am picking up my "shop" season passes this weekend......so I'll be out before Xmas....which is always a positive here in PA. Headed to Huntah for a Sunday dawn patrol this weekend!

Have a great season......Hope we all continue to use this thread to keep everyone updated on the ever changing conditions in PA.

So no clicking out at the bottom of Lenape to grab a mid day refreshment??
What is this world coming to... :nono:

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
I spent the day at Snowshoe yesterday. A friend and I left the DC area around 5AM and pulled in around 9:30. We were on the slopes by 10:30. We spent the morning on the Snow Basin side warming up on the greens and blue runs. Had a pleasant lunch at the bbq place. Cupp opened up late morning, so we spent the afternoon on that side. Took a break around dinner time and then skied at Silver Creek for a few hours before calling it a night and driving to our hotel in Harrisonburg.

It was cold, around 10 degrees most of the day and probably felt colder with wind chill. The snow guns were blasting the whole day on the unopened territory. They looked to have enough snow on several other runs, but hadn't had the time to properly groom everything. Early season conditions were good. It snowed on and off through out the day so there was some fresh snow in some areas. The crowds crowds were not bad.

This was my first time at Snowshow...overall impressions: It has a big mountain feel with the 3 different areas, but the runs seem a little narrow. I imagine it gets very crowded on the weekends. The 100 mile drive out of the resort area back to civilization was not pleasant. Resort staff were pleasant and friendly. I was surprised at how reasonable the food prices were. Paying $10 to park in an empty parking lot at Silver Creek seemed silly.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was thinking for Monday, New Year's Day...will you still be up there or heading home?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anyone have any good NYE weekend plans?
A bunch of us will be up at Elk, staying about 20 mins away.
Plan is to be on the mountain that Fri/Sat/Sun. Hoping for some snow action!
As it stands 3 blacks aren't enough to get me there but please post up, if snow conditions are good I can drive up for the day.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone in western PA going to be skiing on Friday? I might hit 7S or maybe Laurel for some Wildcat laps Friday morning.

@LaurelHillCraze?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Every person posting in this thread needs to take a long, hard look at the GFS for Saturday, starting 7amish on through the day.

If that model is remotely correct, the entire Rte 219 corridor will be going off, from Snowshoe to 7S.

Timberline, Whitegrass, CV, Wisp, Laurel very much included.

FWIW, the euro model has very big doubts - they're predicting a barely noticeable sprinkle.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm looking at Thursday or Friday for a day trip. Leaning towards Beech, but could be talked in to Wintergreen of others wanna meet up there for a couple hours.Thinking Thursday or Friday will be the least insane,,, still a bit insane though.. Also should be a storm hitting around that time frame...

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Every person posting in this thread needs to take a long, hard look at the GFS for Saturday, starting 7amish on through the day.

If that model is remotely correct, the entire Rte 219 corridor will be going off, from Snowshoe to 7S.

Timberline, Whitegrass, CV, Wisp, Laurel very much included.

FWIW, the euro model has very big doubts - they're predicting a barely noticeable sprinkle.

What wx site you using? How much possible? I haven’t seen anything too amazing so far; recent models are trending in the wrong direction for the Northeast and the Mid A. But a good dump in WV could convince me to head down early from New England to ski some pow.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry boys...as a long time Elk local I should be able to help you out, but they were giving us a hard time with our shop passes this year....I was thinking about New Year's Day, but will probably go to Catskills.

My ski bud who skis Elk during the week has said the conditions are great!.....The snow on Xmas day and now the cold are making for classic Elk carving conditions. You will have fun!

If you are ever at Elk early am and see an idiot on 193 Volkl Shiros.......that's me.....just yell BC....we'll crank a few runs together.

*Wide ski hater disclaimer*..........just sold my Brahmas...........so all I currently have is my "1/3 finely tuned" 193 Shiro this year........;) (Unless I borrow a demo from shop....but they usually are too short)

*Another bit of advice about Elk this year....this is not a joke ...no complaining about the mountain. If management/employee hears of a customer complaining about the new fence, conditions, lifts, the lodge, etc. they are instructed to clip your ticket and ask you to leave...pass holders have to sign a waiver...we will lose our pass.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online