• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious to see what the roster of area/resorts will be. Have they confirmed that it will be the same as 2017-2018? A whole lot of those areas are now announced as being part of this. Could some be out of the MCP? Could others be added?

I have ZERO insight on it, at all. MCP has worked well for a lot of people, in the past. The lkonic is going to work very well for us. Regardless of price, to be honest. Essentially need season passes at multiple areas next season.....all in.

MCP has no info regarding next year that I can find. It should be out soon. I think I bought this years last March or April..... It was early.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm buying this the first day it comes on sale. Wish Boyne would have included Crystal Mountain, WA. That's my one miss on this. otherwise couldn't be happier how this turned out.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hoping it's structured like the MAX pass so the only way to get unlimited skiing is by having a season pass at your home mountain. I'm fine if it costs more than the Epic pass. Hope it does, actually.

I don't want Copper, my home mountain, to turn into an Epic mess of crowds. I'd be happy buying a Copper Pass (or Copper/Eldora) and paying extra for the add-on for days at the other resorts. As much as I'll miss unlimited WP & Copper, I'll miss short lift lines more. I can live with 5 days at WP, especially given the other options opened up.

I suspect those who consider Alta, Snowbird and DV home also feel the same way. Unlimited skiing at those three sounds like a great idea at first but would destroy those areas.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
MCP has no info regarding next year that I can find. It should be out soon. I think I bought this years last March or April..... It was early.

I am curious. Would not be shocked to see all of the Ikonic pass areas out of the MCP. We'll see. I also would be shocked if KSL/HCC are not shopping and selling.

I have a small hunch that some of these alignments are coming together based on more to follow. For example, I think that at the right prices, every property owned by Och-Ziff is probably available. Of course the fact that operators hold long term leases complicates things, as it did when CNL was selling and Och/Ziff bought.

Very different business that it was before we had the first consolidators formed.

We'll see.

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don't want Copper, my home mountain, to turn into an Epic mess of crowds. I'd be happy buying a Copper Pass (or Copper/Eldora) and paying extra for the add-on for days at the other resorts. As much as I'll miss unlimited WP & Copper, I'll miss short lift lines more. I can live with 5 days at WP, especially given the other options opened up..

I was hoping that Copper was off this pass, as a single I-70 resort that remains outside the multi pass craziness.
With 3 Days Taos, Monarch and Purgatory, I'd be fine with that for my only seasons pass.
It's such a better mountain than WP or Eldora, it be my #1 day trip destination if it wasn't through the damn tunnel.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'm hoping it's structured like the MAX pass so the only way to get unlimited skiing is by having a season pass at your home mountain. I'm fine if it costs more than the Epic pass. Hope it does, actually.

I don't want Copper, my home mountain, to turn into an Epic mess of crowds. I'd be happy buying a Copper Pass (or Copper/Eldora) and paying extra for the add-on for days at the other resorts. As much as I'll miss unlimited WP & Copper, I'll miss short lift lines more. I can live with 5 days at WP, especially given the other options opened up.

I suspect those who consider Alta, Snowbird and DV home also feel the same way. Unlimited skiing at those three sounds like a great idea at first but would destroy those areas.

There are a lot of ways that this can be structured. I had heard a few recently kicked around. One is a home mountain with some add on options. One is a regional home pass, with a out of region menu. Could be limited days at your non home mountain. Could be limited days. And of course there will be the full on unlimited.

The one that I hear will be handled differently is CMH. Likely a small discount for other passholders, but pluses like preferred booking dates, upgrades in accommodations, maybe discounts on additional vertical. Or simply more vertical. I would foresee no real dollar discounts. They have no need to.

I've been suggesting best in class, gold standard and NOT a price play to "compete" with Epic, since day one. Not being totally in the dark. And I have said it's just started.

Exciting stuff. Going to be interesting to see the next release.

Great timing with SIA. Anybody talking about much else?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
As far as the Northeast is concerned, one has to think that mountains such as Okemo, Sunapee, Wachusett and a couple of others will be desperately looking for a new pass partner.

It seems like the Peak Pass would be a good fit for them. It certainly seems like a pipe-dream for them to try and go at it with a 1-3 mountain pass (unless they price it at $400 unlimited).

But who knows what the guys at Och-Ziff are thinking. Or the Muellers for that matter - it became impossible to figure out who owned/did what at Okemo, Sunapee and Crested Butte. I think Och-Ziff also owns some or all of Boyne mountains. Sort of a mess and perhaps conflicting interests.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I think Vail Resorts will be squeezed on the Front Range by this:

... MTN stock hasn't responded yet. Hmmmm......

I'd argue that this is not necessarily a bad thing for Vail. This appears to create a massive duopoly for the ski industry. Yes, I see on the surface how it looks like more competition for Vail. But you now have the ski industry dominated by 2 players. Vail will have 1) more opportunities for acquisitions as many remaining independents will ultimately need to capitulate and sell, 2) Vail will gobble even market share from independents, and 3) ultimately have much more pricing power as I fear the only real choice for skiers will dwindle down to Vail or Alterra.

I'm anxiously awaiting details on Alta/Snowbird/Jackson Hole partnerships. I'm worried that too many skiers will kill the experience.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
As a new front ranger, and somebody who has had the MCP the past few years. This marriage couldn't have worked out better. I wasn't going to buy the Epic Local and an MCP, so that left me with a single season pass option + MCP. Now I get WP, Copper and Eldora + a Loveland 4 pack. Then some sort of MCP like days for my trips I hope. Perfection!

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All the resorts are starting to put out the release on their FB pages now......

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Trying to decide if it is good or bad that there isn't a single Mid Atlantic NC or VA (or WVA or PA) resort that is part of any giant conglomerate or multi region season pass offering. In fact, most of the resorts here don't even sell a decent full price pass without massive blackout dates.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. For those of us in the PNW, the closest resort with a multi-resort pass option is still Whistler/Blackcomb with the Epic Pass. Too bad as Bachelor and a handful of PNW resorts, plus Big Sky made the Max Pass a viable option. No more.....

I agree that which resorts comprise the MCP next season will play a big factor in how this plays out for destination skiers.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying to decide if it is good or bad that there isn't a single Mid Atlantic NC or VA (or WVA or PA) resort that is part of any giant conglomerate or multi region season pass offering. In fact, most of the resorts here don't even sell a decent full price pass without massive blackout dates.

Actually Snowshoe is part of it.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
It seems the Ikon Pass is being very very selective about who they are allowing on the pass. This is NOT a full collaboration with Boyne or Powdr.

Alterra chose the best locations from all these groups in the East (notice Pico is not included, though Killington is on the Ikon). They then only chose the top tier destination resorts of Big Sky from Boyne. And from Powdr Copper and Eldora make the Ikon a credible Front Range competitor. The PNW is completely excluded.

I'm not so sure that it was Alterra that's being selective. It might be... but the executives at Boyne and (probably) Powdr aren't fools... they'd only sign on for this if it was in their interest. Which means, if Alterra did the picking and choosing, Alterra's paying a significant premium to Boyne and Powdr.

Maybe this will have VR considering some partners. Quite surprised that has never happened, in terms of feeding the enterprise. I assume that it breaks down with Epic Pass pricing. But, they could offer deep discounts on multi day's passes at VR resorts to passholders of partners.

Isn't A-Basin a VR partner? And various European areas?

]I am wondering what's going on with the Muellers. Of course they are just a management company with three triple net leases. And the owner of the assets at the two biggest knows that they have real value.

I suspect that one of the frustrations with Crested Butte is that it doesn't attract a very high percentage of the people whose pass includes it. I don't get the impression that Okemo or Sunapee is hurting for business, so it would make some sense if the Muellers are looking to increase yield and funnel traffic toward Crested Butte, rather than aiming for higher volume.

I'm buying this the first day it comes on sale. Wish Boyne would have included Crystal Mountain, WA. That's my one miss on this. otherwise couldn't be happier how this turned out.

Boyne sold Crystal Mountain--management buyout, and now it's an independent.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It looks to me that it the partner resorts are the cream of the MCP. Interesting they've left Canada aside there, maybe not enough yanks have been going there.

So follwing MCP logic it wouldn't surprise me if you got a home mountain pass + 2/3 days at each other area. Then pay incrementally more to add extra home areas with limited or unlimited skiing. So DV can keep the riff raff largely out by having a high home tarrif but might be obliged to allow the dirtbags access for 2/3 days.

Sponsor