• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"I ski double blacks" in Slate parenting column

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had a long running issue with the media sensationalizing backcountry, ducking ropes & even creating the term "sidecountry", I have seen it cost lives.
Sorry, didn't mean to take the thread off course.
There are some resorts that have more "risk" terrain access than others.
Heck, I recall debates of who's terrain was more extreme, with members almost claiming bragging rights back on Epic days.
Jackson Hole, Snowbird, Snowbasin, Palisades Tahoe, Kirkwood..... among others.

I'm timid enough that I tend to avoid such terrain.
Have I skied chutes? Sure, but the stars have to align for me to do so.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Have I skied chutes? Sure, but the stars have to align for me to do so.
I usually go where the snow is best & that sometimes calls for knowledge, planning, risk & effort. I tend to pick the low hanging fruit first :).

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
My oldest finally got exasperated and took him up to a lift that led to a terrifying-looking descent
Man, this brings me back. I miss that feeling of adolescent terror on relatively consequence-free slopes. To replicate that feeling as an adult can take you into some dangerous situations. No fall-zones, etc. But as a kid everything is so big and scary, even when relatively safe. I remember what it used to feel like.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I usually go where the snow is best & that sometimes calls for knowledge, planning, risk & effort. I tend to pick the low hanging fruit first :).
Your low hanging fruit is a whole different topic! :roflmao:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When you run your mouth at a ski bar, you never know who your talking too.
Or at a Christmas party! I was talking ( toddler parenting days) with a guy at a dinner party. We were all at that point where we were teaching our kids to ski. He said that he just skied all over the mountain with his 3 yr old between his legs. I asked, “are you sure you are good enough skier for that?” He responded something along the lines of “it seems to be working out fine.” It turned out he was on the Austrian Olympic ski team … he didn’t flame me and I was grateful.

Sponsor

Staff online